PT why did obi wan not use force speed to catch up to qui gon

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Jul 31, 2014.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Dartht Punk Jedi Master

star 1
    The answer is simply the same as it is with any inconsistency in fiction; the characters do whatever is most dramatic at the time, and will conveniently not do things demonstrated earlier if it will kill the suspense.

There is no evidence that 'Force speed' makes you tired more than any other Force ability.
    TX-20 likes this.
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    I'm not understanding your last line. Are you saying using the Force doesn't make you tired?
  3. Dartht Punk Jedi Master

star 1
    What I am saying is that it's not stated in the film that using Force speed makes you more tired than using any other Force power.
  4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    But you do agree that using the Force does make you tired, right?
  5. Dartht Punk Jedi Master

star 1
    That's a tricky question, because you could argue there is mental and physical exertion of using the Force, i.e. Luke on Dagobah, but then you could argue he's tired because he's struggling to do it properly. Yoda is never out of breath, and neither is Palpatine, even after their duel.
  6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    Well, there's a difference between a master and someone who's learning. But going by the films, I would say that it does. If there wasn't a limit, then I'm sure Jedi and Sith wouldn't need a lightsaber to finish their battles.
  7. Rauno Jedi Master

star 1
    I'd like to think he was exhausted from the duel. They were going at it for a while already and who knows how much he had relied on force before for not getting slashed.
  8. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Obi Wan needed to rest to regenerate his stamina, but there were enemies nearby.
  9. The Son of Dathomir Jedi Youngling

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!
    I guess Lucas just doesn't think about the bigger picture when he writes Star Wars...
  10. The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah..but the definition of Force choke as a power is physically constraining the person's throat, so your view is..creative but not true:confused:
  11. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Whose definition? "Definition" (de-finit-ion) basically means to "place limits upon" -- that's one, er, definition, anyway.

Who says anything in Star Wars has or requires definition?
  12. TX-20 Force Ghost

star 4
    Qui-Gon Jinn: "Uhh, it's too late, it..."
    Obi-Wan: "No!"
    Qui-Gon Jinn: "Obi-Wan, promise... Promise me you will USE FORCE SPEED NEXT TIME!"
  13. zompusbite Jedi Knight

star 1
    I know that what I say will make many disturbing, but I'll say it anyway. I do not know if GL was done on purpose or not realize her scenes in this manner, but I know it is that many things have seemed to me weird looking at the PT and even more weird looking at TCW. Like you, I asked many questions and I searched long answers. Finally, i got them: EU. Thanks to the EU, everything becomes clearer: the "be-so-called" GL errors find their meaning in the EU. SW took an unimaginable dimension that it would be "unwise" to limit movie (from the moment that it respects last scenario and the death timeline). Then the Council that I can give you it is to read the novelization of the film. Thank you for reading me.
  14. DanielUK Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, another new member wishing to start the canon wars....
  15. zompusbite Jedi Knight

star 1
    Do not misunderstand me Grand Master DanielUK. I don't want to create a new war, I just want to make you understand that it is up to us, SW fans, with the knowledge gained in the movies, comics, novels and games, to analyze what is canon of what is not (and not a multinational, which under the pretext of wanting to do a series of movies, deem the work of hundreds of people who had the support of GL as null and void)
  16. Bazinga'd Dark Lord of the SWC/PT/ Spinoff Forums

Manager
    star 5
    Let me cut this off right now...Anything close to resembling a "Canon War" will be causing those responsible to take a vacation from these boards.
  17. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    He needed to take a stamina potion so that's why he didn't use Force Speed
  18. The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The Essential Guide to the Force. I guess technically it's referred to as "telekinesis." The ability to manipulate objects with one's mind. Though you could be right, it's ignorant of me not to see it from your POV, it is quite possible and does make a lot of sense for a Force user to be able to trick a weak-minded being into thinking that they are choking. But remember that we do see Anakin Force choke Padme in ROTS and she (to each their own opinion) as a former Queen of Naboo and one of the few Senators dedicated to the founding principles of the Rpeublic, doesn't seem like a weak-minded being.
    Last edited by The Supreme Chancellor, Sep 3, 2014
  19. The Philosophical Owl Jedi Padawan

star 1
    If you look at him after his force jump, he was exhausted and dripping with sweat
  20. Lord D'arg Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Using the force is weird isn't it. When Obi-Wan jumps, physically he's using his muscles but the power comes from the force and that is what augments the jump. If a normal human is working out they grow tired. If someone then tries to do a box jump and sprint 50 meters after it they can't because they are tired. The same applies for a Jedi, only their physical feats are multiplied because they have the ability to draw upon the force.
  21. CommanderDrenn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Because, for me, the force does not exist in such a vulgar fashion. The force is "above that" in my mind.
Moderators: Bazinga'd