main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Obi-wan start training Luke at age 19?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord_Newbie, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Newbie

Lord_Newbie Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    In fact, he didn't come to Luke to train him. Luke came to him.

2. JesterHead1651

JesterHead1651 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    what would you think aunt beru and uncle owen would say, they wont let him follow in the footsteps of his father they wont even let him transfer to the academy

3. Lord_Newbie

May 25, 2005
    I'm sure Obi-wan would convince them it would be the right thing to do.

"It's a movie, helloooooo."

Movies should make sense, shouldn't they?

4. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    YOU LIE!

Star Wars is a historical documentery!

*hypervenelates and passes out*

:p

-The Scummy-

5. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Well from the Novelization Yoda says taht they should wait for the living force to bring Luke to them.

In addition I think that the Jedi saw that they had to change the old ways in order to destroy the New Sith.

Out of universe, it might well be a plot hole. Perhaps Mr. Lucas hadn't come up with the concept of training from birth as of ANH>

6. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    From the ROTS novel:

"To Naboo, send her body . . ." Yoda stretched his head high, as though tasting a current in the Force. "Pregnant, she must still appear. Hidden, safe, the children must be kept. Foundation of the new Jedi Order, they will be."

"We should split them up," Obi-Wan said. "Even if the Sith find one, the other may survive. I can take the boy. Master Yoda, and you take the girl. We can hide them away, keep them safe? train them as Anakin should have been trained?"

"No." The ancient Master lowered his head again, closing his eyes, resting his chin on his hands that were folded over the head of his stick.

Obi-Wan looked uncertain. "But how are they to learn the self-discipline a Jedi needs? How are they to master skills of the Force?"

"Jedi training, the sole source of self-discipline is not. When right is the time for skills to be taught, to us the living Force will bring them. Until then, wait we will, and watch, and learn."

7. Lord_Newbie

May 25, 2005
    Wow, thanks. They need to elaborate like that in the movie just like they do in the novel.

8. Clieggs_Missing_Leg

Clieggs_Missing_Leg Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Well, I guess that answers that. Maybe it'll show up as dialogue in the cut scenes on the DVD.

Personally, I don't believe Obi-Wan ever intended on training Luke. His purpose was to keep Luke safe and hidden. He didn't expect Bail Organa to be sending Leia to Tatooine to bring him back into the war. Upon learning that Anakin's second child had been captured by the Empire, Obi-Wan realized that the only way to save her now was to bring Luke out of hiding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.