main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Owen pass on R2?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darkcide, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    He never really looked at him or R5D4,he just said "I'll take that red one.No, not that one". It was like he picked the red one because he liked the color red more than blue!

2. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    He probably thought that the R5 model droid would be cheaper than R2, and that was enough for him.

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    There's also the possibility that R5 and R2 models can perform different functions, and Owen needed the R5 model more.

4. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Yeah, and then he bitches about his choice...

Hey! What're you trying to push on us?!

Anger mgmt anyone?

5. EternalRogue

EternalRogue Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    R5 sounds like a newer model since it is #5 in that series.....if they follow that logic. Tho I do like the info I read before about how R2 told R5 to malfunction if he got picked.....I read that in the Star Wars Encyclopaedia.

6. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    And then he bitches about his choice

Yeah, what was with that? I don't think the jawas ever actually told him to "take the red one." He just picked it. No one pushed it on him.

7. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I think he was bitching at the fact that the Jawas were selling him dodgy goods.

I bet if he knew that buying C3PO and R2D2 would eventually lead to his untimely death, maybe he'd of sent the Jawas packing full stop. Ah... the beauty of hindsight.

8. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Settling for R2 was a deathwish indeed...perhaps Vader was in on it. Hmmm....

9. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I thought R5s were more advanced than R2s anyway.

10. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    I thought R5s were more advanced than R2s anyway.

Aesthetically, to me at least, R5 didn't look more advanced than R2.

11. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Looks can be decieving. ;)

12. Kazkid8

Kazkid8 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    kosmic said: "Aesthetically, to me at least, R5 didn't look more advanced than R2. "

the R5 unit probably looked worse cause it was probably aboandoned, beat up, not taken care of well. It's like finding a penny from the year 2000 and then finding a penny from 1999. the 99 penny could look better cause it was kept in a pocket (r2 kept in a ship) the 2000 could have been thrown on the grownd and steped on (R5 being abandoned and left on tatooine for a long time)

u get what i mean?

13. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    I wasn't really talking about how dirty the R5 is or how bashed up it looks, but about the general design. The R5 looks a lot more square and less smooth than the R2 units. But I guess the R5 could be physically square but possessing much superior programming or something. And the R2's greater curviture compared to the R5's square-ness could also be connected to how the Naboo fighters in TPM and AOTC are smoother than the X-Wings in ANH-ROTJ.

14. neochia347

neochia347 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 22, 2003
    Who know's why, George Lucas put it in the script and so it happened.

15. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

According to the EU, Industrial Automation who made the droids cut the costs for the R5 series and made them a cheaper alternative to the other Astromech Droids.

So it isn't really a case of being a more advanced model (many of the features the R2 series had weren't included in the R5), probably just Owen looking for the best bargin.

16. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    EDIT: Double post.

17. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Actually, Kosmic, if you take a look at the progression in technology and design in the Star Wars saga from I-VI, things get more blocky and square as time goes on. ;)

I would think the same applies with droids.

18. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    u get what i mean?

I understand your reasoning, but I agree with kosmic. Think of it this way. You come across two laptop computers. One is a P4, 2.something GHz with all the bells and whistles, but it's been run over by some guys car a few times, has a cracked screen, but is repairable. It's got a great price on it and you've got the parts in your stash. On the other hand there's a PIII there that looks good and is twice the price. I'd choose the P4, no question.

Now, Skippy (I call him by his EU Jedi name) blew his motivator. That's not something that's repairable. I, being a smart negotiator, know I've got the Jawas on the ropes with this. I accuse them of trying something shady, they get defensive, I give them the one-two punch of "well, since you've screwed me on this one, give me the better looking one at the same price." They capitulate and I get the better looking, better performing droid for the same price!

There ya go!

19. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    The Jawas should have let Owen have the now broken R5 for free in addition to letting him buy R2. But that's just me. :D

20. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    He was probably thinking, "Hey, I remember a droid just like this one. Life was never the same around here after he showed up. He even took that silver protocol droid that talks just like the gold one standing right over there. Too much trouble. I'll take the red one."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.