main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Palpatine pick Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Just_Joe, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    I never thought about this till the other day, but why did Palpatine set a trap for the Seperatists leaders on a volcanic planet? He was planning to have Vader go and kill them sooner or later. So why not pick a less dangerous planet?

Clearly he didnt want Obi-Wan to duel with him there because Obi was supposed to be killed during Order 66, but doesnt a volcanic planet just sound dangerous for your apprentince? I think Nute Gunray was smart when he questioned Grievous comment of saying they are being sent to Mustafar, where they'll be safe.

Logically it was a poor planet choice for Palpatine.......but cinematically it makes sense. Palpatine = The Devil, The Devil lives in hell. The steriotypical version of hell is fire all around, all the time. So the only thing natural that could look like that is a planet of volcanoes! Sure a sun/star is nothing but lava, but thats too hot! ;)

Or maybe I'm wrong and Palpatine wanted Anakin to get burned up a little so he wouldnt be too powerful and overthrow him anytime soon. Maybe ol'Sidious saw this far in the future and realized everything would be A OK, in the sense the Vader doesnt completely die! But I guess he didnt see far enough into the future to know that Vader would chuck him down an air vent.....reactor......thingy!:oops:

2. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    The Techno Union already owned the planet and the Separatists had built a fortified bunker where they could safely hide while they waited out the war. By ROTS, the bunker was finished, and Sidious needed them to be kept safe and secure (i.e. in one place so his goon could finish them off). His order wasn't so much "take them to some lava planet" as much as "take them to the emergency bunker until everything clears up."

3. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Mustafar was essentially "Hell" in the Star Wars universe. So, when Palpatine told the separitists to go the the Mustafar system, he was basically saying "Go to Hell". It's a fitting place for them to meet their demise. Maybe Palpatine liked the thought of sending the seperatists to "hell". ;)

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It's the perfect death trap. Where can they flee to? I don't know if that was actually the intention, but it seems like the sort of thing Palpatine would do.

5. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    In the original script when Grievous tells the CIS leaders where he is sending them, he says something about Mustafar being so unstable atmospherically that radio waves cant get through, so they will be safe from surveillance and wont get found. That's why they were sent there.

6. Sith_Lightning

Sith_Lightning Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    I don't think Palpatine had the intention of Vader getting burned at all. He wants Vader to become the strongest Jedi (or Sith now) in the universe. As he tells Yoda "Soon my apprentice will be stronger than both of us." Or something to that extent, quoting from memory there.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Well Palpatine had no idea Vader/Anakin would be burnt to a crisp

8. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001

So you're saying that when Han says, "Then I'll meet you in hell!" in ESB he means Mustafar?

9. Leias_Lipgloss

Leias_Lipgloss Jedi Master star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Mustafar seems relatively uninhabited. So nobody would see what Vader (and Palps) were up to there. That and Palps is playing an inside joke on Anakin, sending him physically and metaphorically to Hell. ;)

10. lrdmonarch

Dec 14, 2001
    Strangly there's a civilization that lives there.

11. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Mustafar is a far, out of the way planet. The OS Databank says that it's "intense geological activity creates natural scanning interference that has kept prying eyes away from Mustafar for most of its history". That's a perfect planet for Palpatine to pick for the Separatists in order to make them believe they're safe from anyone trying to track them down.

Was it a dangerous place for Palpatine to send his apprentice? Yes, but remember, Palpatine just wanted Anakin to kill off the Separatists, send a message to shut the droid units down, and leave. The mission itself wasn't dangerous until you know who showed up.

12. Leias_Lipgloss

Leias_Lipgloss Jedi Master star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, I didn't know that. Is that from the novel?

13. lrdmonarch

Dec 14, 2001
    From the Commentary, Lucas says there's a civilization that lives there and mines the minerals from the lava.

14. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    The Mustafarians can be seen in the film, most noticeably when Ani first arrives on Mustafar and orders Artoo back to the ship.

15. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Here's a picture for those who didn't see them in the film.
    [image=http://starwars.com/databank/species/mustafarian/img/movie_bg.jpg]

16. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Think about it. A godforsaken hellhole like Mustafar would be the absolute LAST place they'd expect to find an enemy hideout. But, then again, that's probably what they said about Hoth.

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Mustafar is very out of the way. Anakin could easily assassinate them there without an investigation or any futher attention he didn't need.

18. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    Oh nuts, you're right. I remember reading on Starwars.com or a homing beacon e-mail that Grievous gave that excuse to Nute or one of the other seperatists. The dialogue was either cut in post production or was never recorded.

Though they were probably better off being arrested on Utapau!;) Even though Palps probably would have still had them all executed back on Coruscant.[face_beatup]

19. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably because he read the Return of the Jedi novelization and needed some lava pronto.

20. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Why does anybody pick any planet? Why did the Rebels pick Hoth? The point is Lucas wanted a lava type planet to have the Anakin and Obi-Wan duel.

21. El-Elyon

El-Elyon Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    well anakin had to become darth vader or the prequels wouldn't work, sooo lucas had to make him all crispy on some flaming planet. basicly it's in the script.

some people over analyse these things...

22. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    lol

23. Darth_Morhs

Darth_Morhs Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2005
    It may have been a place where he could make them think they will be safe from the Republic because they would think that their troops would not risk going there. But in Battlefront II, they do (awesome level).

24. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Probably because it would be nearly impossible to stage a battle there (unless you count Battlefront II). The only Clones that could fit on that small platform would all be killed by security Droids and Nemoidians. Or the Separatists could turn off the heat protection around that area and let all the Clones sink into the lava along with the platform.

25. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Or maybe I'm wrong and Palpatine wanted Anakin to get burned up a little so he wouldnt be too powerful and overthrow him anytime soon.

no.palps wanted vader to be all powerful.GL says that palpatine is very dissapointed to end up with another count dooku instead of what he signed up for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.