main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Palpatine switch out clone troopers for stormtroopers ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mace Windu's Cousin, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Mace Windu's Cousin

Mace Windu's Cousin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2015
    So why did Darth sidious the wise, cunning dictator that he is decide to switch out the more efficient, ruthless,loyal, and overall better clonetroopers who could take out jedi's when in a squad for the bumbling incompetent stormtroopers ?

[​IMG]

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Because as we saw in TCW, the clone troopers turned out to be a lot more individualistic and Jango-like than the Kaminoans had promised.

Palpatine figured out it was much easier to recruit normal people and just turn them into clones through indoctrination. Probably cheaper, too.

3. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    Clones are expensive and take ten years to produce. The supply is not unlimited.

DaddlerTheDalek and Erkan12 like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Here are the facts
    Clones are expansive
    They were very individualistic by the wars end
    They age twice as fast
    The Empire does not view them as true humans

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Stormtroopers are cheaper.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Honestly I don't know why now. Other posters might have a lot more insight on that but in the old EU, there was a rebellion on Kamino where they created clone troopers to fight against the Empire. The 501st led by Boba Fett put down the insurrection. Palpatine became paranoid and decided conscripts would be a better idea. Now, I just assume cause it's cheaper like Erkan posted. :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Remember that one of the biggest reasons Palpatine created the clones (and the droids) was to make it as easy as possible for the galaxy to enter into a war neither side really wanted. They were expendable, they didn't have families, no one cared about sending them off to die in battle. It removed a significant factor in the moral calculus which was causing some hesitation to go to war.

But after the establishment of the Empire, it became more important to Palpatine that the people of the galaxy have an actual stake in the preservation of peace in the New Order. His goal now was to avoid war.

jakobitis89 and BobbySharp like this.
  8. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Or the easiest explanation for a movies-only viewer like me: the stormtroopers are still clones (using different hosts probably). Nothing in the movie suggests they aren't

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is what Hildalgo said at a comic-con presentation on Rebels.

10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Clones had started to think for themselves, like The_Phantom_Calamari said. It'd be interesting to see the Kamino clone factories in Rebels, see what happened to them.

TX-20 and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I think another reason is that Palpatine could not trust clones. He could have got his own "Order 66".

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Good point. I never thought about that way, but Sidious may have been a bit paranoid/pragmatic after the Clone Wars. Plus, I'm sure they lost many clones during the war, and Jango Fett was no longer around. Thus, making clones of clones would be less effective, and as Jedi Knight Fett said, they age twice as fast. Recruitment wasn't always effective, I think, because they weren't always trained well, many came from worlds lacking in military heritage, and recruiting anyone means you will have more than a few idiots. The only stormtroopers I know about who were effective were the ones who attacked the Jawa sand-crawler in ANH and the one who shot Leia's shoulder during ROTJ.

However, this is my rationalization for their ineffective portrayal.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  13. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, what was left of Jango's DNA samples were getting increasingly strained, so Palpatine would've had to switch away from that group anyway eventually. He just decides later to replace them with recruits.

14. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Yep, the stormtroopers in the films bump their heads just like Jango. Lucas said he had Jango bump his head to show all the stormtroopers had that trait cloned into them. There is also a 1978 Lucas film article that states stormtroopers are clones. There really is no reason in the films for Palpatine to stop cloning other than that is what some fans want. Also the clones in ROTS are far less individualistic than in TCW which altered lots of story elements from the films to fit a TV series format like SG-1 did with the Stargate film. In ROTS even the battle droids displayed more emotion than the clones did.

SateleNovelist11, Davak24 and oierem like this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's also interesting how he switched from trying to be loved to trying to be feared.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    With that logic some of the ST first order troops are clones. just saying.

17. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    There are only a couple of million clones, the moment the Empire was formed, Palpatine was recruiting more off the streets of Coruscant alone, probably

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This! their were only 200,000 clones at the age of 18 by the time of the clone wars and by its end there was about 3 million!

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Yep, with recruitment films like these, who wouldn't join! :storm:

Deliveranze likes this.
  20. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    .........sign me up! 8-}:storm:

Jedi Knight Fett and CT1138 like this.
  21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

With many embryos seen in production in AOTC that would not reach fighting age until 7 years after ROTS. The clone wars swelled the Republic's /Empire's military far more than what could have been done during "peace time" following the clone wars. If recruitment was needed it would have been done during the clone wars to keep up with the battle droid production. Plus the best way to rule though fear is with a army that is made to be loyal to you and you alone. Even normal human officers would not dare to disobey Palpatine ' s orders by being surrounded by an army of ultra loyal clones. They would as both subordinates for the officers as well as guards over the officets to ensure the officers stay inline.

As for the ST, Disney and JJ are going a different route than what the Lucas films had. ROTJ, made it clear the Empire was done. Even Coruscant was happy the Empire was no more.

oierem likes this.
  22. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Then, you could say that, for a film only viewer (such as myself), the fact that the ST troops are not clones will be an unexpected surprise /incongruence. Never in the films has been said that the stormtroopers are not clones. In fact, they are supposed to be the same clonetroopers who turned on the Jedi.

23. TuskenTourniquet

TuskenTourniquet Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    The "age twice as fast" factor seems like an advantage. It's not like you expect soliders to be around for a long time anyway.

A related question I have is: why does the Empire only recruit humans? With a galatic empire, one would think there'd be diverse recruits or at least battalions of different sentient species.

(Edit: And I get that from a film making perspective, it would be much more of a pain to make a non-human batallion, but I'm also wondering if an explanation has ever been given that's internal to the logic of rhe SW universe).

24. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014

You are assuming Palpatine gives a flying crap about it being peace time even tho he is building a Death Star. Coruscant has a trillion citizens. Add to that every other planet under Imperial control. Nothing the clone facility does can match a mandatory conscription into military service.

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    From Palpatine's perspective, humans are the only species that can be relied on. Aliens have their uses, but he always viewed them as second-class citizens. His Imperial officers reflected that xenophobia in the films too ("Where are you taking this thing?")