main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Qui-Gon take Anakin into a battlefield?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Once we get inside, you find a safe place to hide and stay there." - Qui-Gon

Just recently watched Episode I, and I don't understand why Qui-Gon brought Anakin for the ride to Naboo with them. Sure, Anakin proved he could handle himself during the Podrace, but was it really a good idea to bring a young child where there was going to be heated battles? Yes, Anakin was the reason why the Droid control ship blew up and saved the day but George Lucas could of written a more credible reason for Anakin following Qui-Gon to Naboo. It would of been safer for Anakin to stay at the Jedi Council.

Before they boarded the Queen's ship on Courscant, Qui-Gon said something along the lines of "Stay close to me and be mindful." Why did Qui-Gon have a sudden change of heart in the Naboo Hangar? Surely he must of known the danger beforehand that the Trade Federation's droid army posed?

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I don't think he really had much of a choice, I mean he couldn't just leave him somewhere.

3. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Uh, they couldn't exactly drop him off with a parent or guardian and he was rejected by the council to be a jedi at the time, so he wasn't a youngling yet. Plus, Qui Gon was indirectly training him. I doubt they thought they'd run into Maul there, so he also thought he could protect him.

4. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "I don't think he really had much of a choice, I mean he couldn't just leave him somewhere."

Surely the Jedi Council could of arranged someone to look after Anakin? Mace Windu didn't seem to be doing anything except sit in his comfortable chair. He could of looked after Anakin.

"Uh, they couldn't exactly drop him off with a parent or guardian and he was rejected by the council to be a jedi at the time, so he wasn't a youngling yet. Plus, Qui Gon was indirectly training him. I doubt they thought they'd run into Maul there, so he also thought he could protect him."

"Go to Naboo and discover the identity of this dark warrior. This is the key we need to unravel the mystery of the Sith."

5. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    I agree, I thought it was quite weird that Qui-Gon took Anakin to Naboo. It would have been better if Anakin had sneaked onto the ship, this would show his rebellious nature and lead better into AOTC's.

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Well, keep in mind, they had no idea they were heading into a battlefield to begin with. Ambidala said she was going to help her people, but she didn't say how - I'm sure the Jedi originally expected her to try other negotiations and only knew otherwise when she revealed her plans en route to Naboo. It would fit with the story, as Qui Gon warns her that he doesn't approve of it.

7. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Good learning experience for the little brat. Becoming a Jedi isn't for sissies and bums! However, he at least should have been issued a firearm to make himself useful while storming the palace.

8. -Solo_-_Dotsu-

-Solo_-_Dotsu- Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    I really don't like it when people try to find faults or plot gaps in the Star Wars saga. It usually ends up getting shut down by people who think reasonably about it instead of overanalyzing the situation. The only time real plot gaps are found is when they are so minor that they are rendered practically meaningless.

EDIT: I realize you may not be actually searching for faults in Lucas' work, so I apologize for my harsh response.

9. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    It doesn't really make sense; George just needed to get Anakin into that fighter, and pulled the characters' strings to do it.

Seriously; rather than find someone to take care of the all-important nine-year-old child, for the duration of one mission, wise old Qui-Gon decides that the best thing to do is drop the kid directly on the front line, unarmed, and stand right next to him?bearing in mind that he and Obi-Wan are guaranteed to get shot at the most.

[Johnnie Cochran]Ladies and gentlemen, it does not make sense.[/Johnnie Cochran]

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Qui-Gon wanted Anakin to watch him, and breathe in the ways of the Jedi through a first-hand experience, however, I'm sure he didn't have that in mind. My only excuse for it is that he had no other choice.

11. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Of course he had a choice. What would the Council have said if he'd asked them?

Here, let's look in on that scene...

MACE WINDU
    Go with the Queen to Naboo and uncover the identity of this dark warrior. This is the clue we need to unravel the mystery of the Sith.

QUI-GON
    Fine with me, but would you mind putting Anakin up for a week or two?

YODA
    Um... booked we are. Yes, through Life Day. Mmm.

QUI-GON
    So you want me to take him to Naboo.

YODA
    Mmm, yes.

QUI-GON
    All right; I'll drop him off with the noncombatants before we start shooting.

MACE WINDU
    No, you won't. Take him right into battle. Make sure you put him in the front.

QUI-GON
    What? Why?

YODA
    Will of the Force.

QUI-GON
    But-

YODA
    WilloftheForce!

QUI-GON
    Whatever. [Leaves]

MACE WINDU
    Well, that oughtta get rid of that stupid kid.

YODA
    Mmm, yes. [Giggles]

12. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Well, keep in mind, they had no idea they were heading into a battlefield to begin with. Ambidala said she was going to help her people, but she didn't say how - I'm sure the Jedi originally expected her to try other negotiations and only knew otherwise when she revealed her plans en route to Naboo. It would fit with the story, as Qui Gon warns her that he doesn't approve of it."

I'll refer you to my post where I quote Mace Windu. Master Windu says "Go to Naboo and discover the identity of this dark warrior." Even if they knew they weren't going to storm the Naboo palace hangar, they knew they were going to meet Darth Maul again. The Jedi certainly didn't know that Nute Gunray knew about Darth Maul when he chased them to Tatooine. It was still going to be a dangerous time for Anakin. And this raises another important question, how were Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan going to learn his identity when they didn't speak a word to each other? Dead people don't speak!

"I really don't like it when people try to find faults or plot gaps in the Star Wars saga. It usually ends up getting shut down by people who think reasonably about it instead of overanalyzing the situation. The only time real plot gaps are found is when they are so minor that they are rendered practically meaningless."

This is a Star Wars forum, where geeks come to ask their questions, expand their knowledge and be with other like-minded beings. If everyone loved every single piece of the Prequels, this place would be extremely tendious and boring.

"Um... booked we are. Yes, through Life Day. Mmm."

:p

13. HoagieSkywalker

HoagieSkywalker Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Qui has always been radical and this choice never surprised me.

14. NidLoc

NidLoc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2004
    Anakin was condisered Qui Gons ward(a ward is a non relative to whom someone is responsible for bringing up, the several characters who play Robin in the batman movies are discribed as Bruce waynes ward). Qui gonn is his legal guardian at that point. I remeber this was address in the TPM novelization.

15. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    well they planned to have that battle he could of stayed with the leader of the gungan ppl. that has always bugged me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.