main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did the DS2 Throne Room have a shaft?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by White Lightsaber, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White Lightsaber

White Lightsaber Jedi Knight

Jun 25, 2013
    Apologies in advance if this is considered a "minor question", although personally I believe the issue is important enough to deserve its own thread.

So, at the end of ROTJ, Vader throws the Emperor down the shaft in the latter's Throne Room and, as far as we know, kills him.

However, there's something that has always bugged me about this scene. Why in hell's name did the Emperor have a miles-deep shaft in his Throne Room?

It was a potential source of harm for him, as an attacker could throw him down the shaft (as eventually happened). However, even if we assume that he believed himself invincible, or that he was too arrogant to contemplate his downfall, it still doesn't explain why he would want that shaft there. I mean, it's not like it provided him with a beautiful view or anything.

What was the functional purpose of the shaft?

The Hellhammer likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It was going to have a big slide in it that ended at a swimming pool, but they weren't done with it yet.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    As far as I can tell, the only functional purpose of that shaft (and others in SW) has been to spawn millions of jokes about pointless unprotected endless pits throughout the galaxy.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  4. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    At Least the second death star had guardrails near it. the first apparently did not(rewatch the scene were obi wan is turning off the tractor beem or when Luke and Leia get have to use the grapple hook).

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    So he can chill down there.

6. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    He planned it to be like an opan BBQ, sith love the BBQ!!

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Engineering; air circulation.
    Symbolism: A pit whence the devil is deposited by his right hand (Abaddon), later replaced by the archangle, Michael.

8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

After the whole Death Star 1 business there was a big tighten up with Occupational Safety and Health. If ANH was remade Obiwan would need a hand rail and a hard hat to turn off the tractor beam.

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The Emperor's throne room was at the top of a very long spire. Why they left a large gap around the elevator shaft is beyond me.

10. Keltoi89

Keltoi89 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 11, 2013
    How do we even know it was a throne room? I can't recall if it was even described as one in ROTJ.

Did the Emperor not arrive a little unexpectedly to help speed up the construction? What if he simply chose the most isolated or suitable place available to him upon arriving? I am aware of the fact it was situated in some sort of tower though, which wouldn't really make sense unless it was specifically designed for him. But even still, I couldn't see him entertaining the prospect of Luke triumphing, nor Vader turning on him at the end, such was his arrogance and over confidence by that point. So, I doubt it would have overly concerned him.

Of course, the shaft is there in reality because it provides an acceptable way of killing off the Emperor, redeeming Vader and ending the trilogy. I doubt there was too much thought put into the whole design by Lucas or the set designers. And like someone said above, this is the same series that had tractor beam control panels, perched on the tiniest of ledges, with no rails in sight. The Empire doesn't do health and safety, clearly, so they were just being consistent if nothing else.

Also, if you were a borderline omnipotent being, able to produce lightning bolts from your hands, then something as irrelevant as a shaft probably wouldn't enter your mind. Even with its precarious position taken into consideration.

11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Because it would've taken too long for Vader to pick him up, carry him to the elevator, put him back down, hold him and open the elevator door with only the one hand, pick him back up, throw him down the elevator shaft. All while screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

12. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I think it was going to be like the Bat-pole (or a fireman's pole) so that the Emperor could slide down it and quickly get to the mess hall.

13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Not to mention, without that shaft, we'd never have gotten that classic montage of Palpatine's final moments as he tries to make amends for all the crimes he's committed. Besides, we don't really know that it was the plummet that killed him... :p

Sidenote: As any skydiver would tell you, reaching terminal velocity can be quite a fun experience!

14. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I was thinking of that video, so well played.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So that the guards could kick annoying visitors into it.

16. Hutch23

Hutch23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 15, 2006
    Palpatine has a chasm fetish.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As part of Plagueis's plan that is going to be revealed in the ST.

18. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    All of these reasons made me laugh =D=

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    You people suck, I'm LOL'ing so hard I woke up the house! [face_laugh]

Aegon Starcaster and eht13 like this.
  20. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Shaft. Giggity.

21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Joking aside, You may notice that the Eperor's throne room is at the top of a tower. The shaft is the structure of the tower.

22. Darth Fuji

Darth Fuji Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013

Aegon Starcaster and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Cuz Palpy is a $&* machine for all the twileks. Can you dig it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.