main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did the Empire have a base on Endor?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hutsarehotties, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hutsarehotties

Hutsarehotties Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    I was wondering why the Emperor would waste time to put a base on Endor when it was really just a whole bunch of forests and not much cilivization? Would it not be better to go after a more popular or populated planet?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    They were building the Death Star in secret, so having it on a highly populated world wouldn't make sense. It wasn't really a base so much as a bunker. The Death Star needed a shield while it was still being built, so they had to guard it.

3. Hutsarehotties

Hutsarehotties Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    oh i did not know they were building the death star near endor i thought it was built in the middle of space or near anthor plant

4. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Did you watch the beginning of the film? Vader went to get the men working faster to complete it. And later in the movie, it was still clearly under construction. ;)

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    And, the first shot of the film is Vader's shuttle moving towards Endor with the DS2 in the background.

6. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The forest was useful for getting all the wood for the DS2. It is actually all made of wood, it was just painted with metallic paint. Also the Ewoks provided good cheap food supply for the stormtroopers.

7. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Because they had the shield generator on Endor for the Death Star, that was just being built again, and they were behind schedule. You can't just set up a base and a shield generator on Endor and leave it abadoned.

Bottom line sheild generator for DS2.

8. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    ^^^Bingo.... The DS was not completed yet and while it was being built it had to be protected from attack before their shields and weapons were made operational.... The shield generator on Endor provided the shields for it.... they showed a whole holgraphic image of the shield coming from Endor and wrapping around the Death Star when the rebels are planning the attack. No mystery there...and after the first DS was destroyed while fully built, operational, and seemingly impregnable, it would be logical that while constructing the next one (the first was a huge secret, by the building of the second, the rebels had already seen it now), that they would find the most quiet, backwards, country-bumpkin corner of the galaxy......enter the Ewok moon of Endor.

9. Parallax2265

Parallax2265 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    To find the chicken that crossed the road?

Seriously, it's like everyone else has says, to host the shield generator that protected the DS2. Not to be confused with the PS2, which requires a locked cage around it to keep my little brother away.

10. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    This thread is not only redundant, but it has nothing relevant left in it as of now. Try to stay on track.

11. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    They were building the Death Star in secret, so having it on a highly populated world wouldn't make sense.

They weren't building it in secret. What would be the point of that? Everyone knew about the first DS.

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I meant the location of the construction, not the construction itself. I could be wrong, but the implication I got from the film was that people weren't supposed to know it was out there.

13. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    no, you're right. the construction itself was a secret.

Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star.

or maybe it was just a secret to Luke. which explains this missing scene:

LUKE: So. what'd i just volunteer for?

HAN: We're gonna destroy the shield bunker that's protecting the DEATH STAR!

LUKE: you're behind on the times, Han! I blew that thing years ago!

HAN: They're building a new one!

LUKE: WHA?!?!

HAN: You didn't know?! Man, I was in carbonite and even I knew.

LUKE: NOBODY TELLS ME ANYTHING!

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    [face_laugh] Good one. especially Han's carbonite line :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.