main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why did the entire Jedi Council come to Naboo?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ewoksimon, Sep 27, 2014.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This is an admittedly minor question, but why did the ENTIRE Jedi Council schlepp all the way to Naboo for the end of TPM? They barely played a role in the victory, and yet there they all are ceremoniously standing at the end of the parade. Perhaps they came to pay their respects to the passing of Qui-Gon, and I could certainly see Yoda and perhaps Mace making the trip for that occasion, but for the entire council to come just seems superfluous to me. Who's going to run the Jedi Order while everyone's out partying / mourning on Naboo?

Again, a minor question, but something to think about.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    This possibility of an actual Sith, as Qui-Gon had earlier said, plus Qui-Gon's death, IMHO. And perhaps, too, to check out the story of this "wunderkid" who "won" the Battle of Naboo.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They came to pay their respects to Qui-gon, to receive Obi-wan's report on what happened and to looking into both Anakin and Maul.

4. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    You do realize they don't need to be in the Temple to do their jobs right?

5. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    In that time, jedi rarely died at the hands of another force user, let alone a possible sith. It makes me wonder though how Qui-gon immediately came to the conclusion Maul was a sith and not just another rogue dark jedi.

6. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    They should not have come at the end. How It Should Have Ended nailed what the Jedi Council should have been doing(At 1:26).

7. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    If he was a Jedi, then Qui-Gon would have heard of or known of him. Also at the time his tattoos were supposed to be Sith markings.

8. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    There's been dark "jedi" trained by those other than the jedi order (Savage Opress as an example). As for the tattoos, there's also a fair share of sith wannabes among dark jedi.

9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    That's why I said at the time, as in when the film was produced. Now that the EU has been removed and taking into account TCW canon it makes less sense. However in the movies we know that the Sith are the only ones who use red lightsabers, and for all we know double bladed lightsabers, so perhaps that is what convinced Qui-Gon.

10. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Also presumably his skill with a lightsaber and strength in the dark side. I think it was clear that he had been trained by someone with serious knowledge and power, and since it wasn't the Jedi, they assumed it was the Sith. I agree that their assumption makes more sense if you aren't taking into account TCW/the EU - but even then, most of the dark Jedi who aren't fallen ex-Jedi were trained by the Sith, so I can see why they would presume that's where Maul came from.

11. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    So not certain they're sith, but have been in contact with sith and trained by them.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Except that goes against their mandate of getting involved only when directed to by the Senate.

No, more like someone who has figured out how to train themselves in the ways of the Force. That is what Qui-gon believes at first. It is only when he has more time to think about it, does it occur to him that it has to be a Sith Lord.

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Actually, this is a good question... For security reasons, why do you bring the entire or a large portion of the counsel there.

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    ^^ This

15. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I don't remember seeing Yaddle, Yarael Poof, Or Oppo Rancisis there?

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

You really think an assassination attempt on a dozen Jedi is wise? People who can use Lightsabers and sense danger? Even Palpatine is smarter than that.

17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Something akin to Order 66 could have been initiated. (Yes I know clones were not developed at this point) Its the same rationale why Cabinet officials are held back from attending the State of the Union address. Contiunity of Government in the event of a disaster.

18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Jedi Council is made up of the twelve most powerful Jedi in the Order. Not even Darth Sidious could take on all twelve at once.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He wouldn't need to, if he was sufficiently sneaking - some kind of suicide weapon could have been used. A ship, piloted by a droid, pointed at the city and then going into hyperspace, for example (though he'd need to make sure he was not at ground zero).

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The point is that he can see things other Jedi can't. From Anakin as the Chosen One to Maul as a Sith.

He's ahead of them as is proven once again as he is able to join with the Force.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, he could as only Yoda and Mace are on his level. But even then, such an assassination attempt wouldn't be smart. The Jedi would sense the danger soon enough and would manage to survive it. The Federation's Droid Army is shut down and has been removed from Naboo. The Clone Army is already in development. There's no reason to waste time and resources when he has his grand plan ahead of him and no one else is willing to challenge the Jedi.

Vialco likes this.
  22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Challenging the Jedi at that point would just put them on guard much earlier and would put a kink in Palpatine's plans for wiping them out.

23. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I'm pretty sure they could sense that coming too. Even Ahsoka could sense danger with great detail, and she's not all that impressive with force powers or dueling. I don't think precognition can be circumvented by using non-living beings. The Jedi didn't sense that suicide ship coming in that Clone Wars episode because it wasn't their destiny I guess to run away or stop it because the droids were already working on it.

And, Anakin has sensed a sniper about to shoot him in TCW too.

And, they sensed Maul's return from across the galaxy.

An event as big as the Jedi council about to be wiped out? Pfft. I think every force sensitive could feel that coming.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They didn't feel Order 66 coming.

25. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    They did. It was just too late. XD
    Well, at least Yoda sensed it.