main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did the Executor have to crash into the Death Star?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Spacehunter....

The Star Destroyer that Ackbar order's concentrated fire upon in fact WAS the Executor.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    No, he's referring to the ISD that explodes outside the Home One's viewport as Ackbar gives the orders to take down the SSD.

3. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Yes, Bib...but he referred to the line....

"Concentrate all fire on that Super Star Destroyer..."

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Because when Ackbar is saying that line, the ISD is exploding.

5. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Ok as a physics major in training let me just confirm that that gravity indeed depends on mass of the objects, their rotation wont matter. According to Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation:

Force of Gravity = (GMm)/R^2

where G is a constant, M is the "big mass" m is the "little mass" and R is the distance bewteen the two objects. (the radius of the orbit) Technicall, there is no such thing as a centriptal Force, its just the name we give to the sum of all the forces and so on involved.

That said, the executor spun out of control, and crashed. End of story, if it did because the DS's mass pulled it so, or if it just went on a collision course, it happened. I happen to think it was the best way to get rid of it, because if it did blow up under some large bombardment, It sure as hell wouldnt be the rebel fleet. :D

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    You know, I've been reading the EU (big surprise! :eek: ), and whenever an SSD gets destroyed there, it's rarely by brute force. Some mishap almost always downs the SSD prematurely:

Lusankya: Destroyed when it rammed a Yuuzhan Vong worldship.
    Knight Hammer: Engines were destroyed by a bomb, then it got sucked in by Yavin's gravity.
    Iron Fist: Han shot the ship's bridge at point blank range with concussion missiles.
    Razor's Kiss: Shields were sabotaged, and it got hammered by the Rebel ships.

There are quite a few more SSDs in the GFFA, but I don't remember their fates right now.

7. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Really Bib? Wow... I thought the Executor was the only one. Btw, nice to see you again ol' friend, Havent been here since June...

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    The pilot crew was dead so it jsut fell.

9. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Iron Fist: Han shot the ship's bridge at point blank range with concussion missiles.
    Actually, the SSD Iron Fist was bombed by the Hapan forces, while the ISD Iron Fist was destroyed by said concussion missiles. (There were 3 Iron Fists, first a VSD, then the SSD, and finally the ISD).

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    No, the Iron Fist that Han destroyed at Dathomir was an SSD. Remember, when the Falcon arrives at Dathomir, they see an SSD in drydock getting repairs. Combine this with the end of Solo Command, where we learn the Iron Fist is still operational, and Han destroyed the SSD Iron Fist at the end of Courtship.

The Hapans did damage the Iron Fist during the first sortie at Dathomir, but it was still intact.

11. -Emperor_Palpatine-

-Emperor_Palpatine- Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2003
    "Why did the Executor have to crash into the Death Star?"

Because GL wanted it. As simple as that. He is the God of the GFFA, even when the executor should have secondary control bridges, as todays ships have. That "DS gravity" pseudoexplanation (or any other) is just absurd

12. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Now it's been a while since I?ve watched RotJ so bear with me. Now IIRC the Executor started to descend when it's command structure blew after the A-Wing hit it. Now in space we know there is no up or down so when the A-Wing plowed into the Executor, the ship would have just sat there with it's command structure burning and would not have gone into a nose dive for the Death Star.

Now you could say that the executor tried to turn to miss the A-Wing but that is absurd since a ship of that size could not have turned so quickly. And the Executor was not pointing at the DS when it hit because you can see that the Executor tilting down as soon as the command structure was hit. So if a ship of that size turns so dramatically, it could only be because of something pulling it, i.e. the DS pulling it toward it. And again I distinctly hear the Executor's engines whining to try to back away from the DS, but it was too late.

13. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    EDIT: Oops -- didn't see V-Wing_Fighter_Pilot's post. Anyhoo...

In the case of the Executor, it was in all liklihood pulled in by the gravitational forces of both DSII and Endor and DSII just happened to be what it hit.

Either way, I thought it was fantastic on screen. (And should I even mention the Mon Calamari exclaiming "So long, d#ckheads!")

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>even when the executor should have secondary control bridges, as todays ships have<<

It did, but was unable to bring it online in time to stop the crash.

>>(And should I even mention the Mon Calamari exclaiming "So long, d#ckheads!") <<

Sounded like "Alright, d#ckhead!" to me ::)

>>I thought the Executor was the only one.<<

In the EU, there were 12 altogether (three were built after Endor, so only 9 were part of the original production line):

(in order of destruction)

-Vengeance (destroyed while in drydock)
    -Terror (destroyed at Imdaar Alpha, critical reactor failure)
    -Executor (destroyed at Endor, crashed into DS2)
    -Aggressor (destroyed at Battle of Tralus, rammed into Grand Admiral Pitta's Torpedo Sphere by Grand Admiral Grunger)
    -Razor's Kiss (built after Endor, destroyed via shield sabotage and massive fighter bombardment; later patched together as the "Second Death" decoy and self-destructed)
    -Brawl (renamed Iron Fist after being given to Zsinj, destroyed at Dathomir by the Falcon and Hapan fleet)
    -Night Hammer (built after Endor, renamed Knight Hammer, destroyed at Yavin, crashed into Yavin after engine sabotage)
    -Intimidator (renamed Pride of Yevetha, found in deep space beyond repair)
    -Reaper (destroyed by New Republic fleet actions)
    -Lusankya (destroyed at Borleias, rammed into a Yuuzhan Vong worldship)
    -Guardian (currently still in service to the Galactic Alliance)
    -Unnamed SSD (newly built by Imperial Remnant during the New Jedi Order era, current status unknown)

15. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    RE: Why did the Executor have to crash into the Death Star?

Because it was in the script
    8-} :D

16. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    Why did it happen as it did?

Because George has always loved the idea of a small force of "primatives" taking down something much more powerful than then themselves.

Hence the Ewoks and the Gungans.

That's on the AOTC DVD commentary.

But it also works in this case.

Its interesting that this isn't the way it was going to happen at all. Read the novel. In the novel, Ackbar never orders an attack on that "Super Star Destroyer". Lando and Co. think of it themselves. So dozens of "Rebel" Gallofree (sp) transports loaded with explosives do kamikaze missions on it, and it goes down like in the movie.

The idea that the Death Star's gravity caused something that big to crash into it is silly. As enormous as a DS is, it doesn't have enough mass!

17. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Its interesting that this isn't the way it was going to happen at all. Read the novel. In the novel, Ackbar never orders an attack on that "Super Star Destroyer". Lando and Co. think of it themselves. So dozens of "Rebel" Gallofree (sp) transports loaded with explosives do kamikaze missions on it, and it goes down like in the movie.<<

I believe both events get combined for the "big picture" so to speak- those kamikaze attacks are what allows the fighters to attack the shield generator domes on the tower (also probably damaging the ship's ability to later recover from, bridge loss), which lower the bridge deflectors, which allows Arvel to accidentally crash into the bridge.

19. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Which to me does not make sense. If it required a crew of 250,000+ to operate, there should have been some sort of back up control device, even if the Engine Room on their own reversed engines or something like that.

The other side of that, is that the Emperor was already dead, and as mentioned in the ROTJ novelization, the effect of it was harsh upon the Imperial Fleet, to the point that people may have already been abandoning stations or such.

20. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    I agree that the transports' attacks took out the secendary bridges.

Besides, it was also under attack by at least some of the rebel capital ships.

Note: Those globes cannot be shield genoraters. Never in Star Wars do we see this crucial function done by an external device, especially something so obvious like those globes.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Never in Star Wars do we see this crucial function done by an external device,

Of course we do. The Star Destroyers have shield generator domes, so therefore, we see them being used that way in Star Wars.

Would you care to post proof that they're not shield generators?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In ROTJ:

::rebel fighters blow up dome::

Imperial ::still reacting to the shockwave of said explosion, checking a console to see what happened:: : "Sir- we've lost our bridge deflector shields!"

That scene right there shows what they are.

23. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    DV damaged the Emperor before the Excecutor was even in trouble.

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, I guess that's true. Once the Emperor died, the battle became much easier for the Rebels from then on.

25. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    I thought those domes were specificially used to disrupt hyperspace drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.