main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did the Galactic Empire allow celebrations after second Death Star was destroyed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Matthew78, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    Because even though the second Death Star had been blasted into oblivion and Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine were both dead along with a large chunk of the Imperial Starfleet the Empire was still alive and well and would never allow revolts like this to happen, i can think of Clones on Naboo and Bespin blasting the celebrators as punishment and maybe Tie Fighters on Coruscant shooting the floating platforms down and dropping bombs into the crowds, does the EU offer any explanation about this?

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Yes, the Wraith Squadron books go into it. While the party was going on (on Coruscant at least), stormtroopers arrived and massacred the people celebrating.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well all right then. Now I feel better about that scene.

4. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Sounds like another Tienamen square. Who ordered the Stormtroopers to kill the spectators? You think that they'd be more furious with the rebels then the lowly citizens celebrating the end of the galatic empire.

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, with the Emperor dead along with his right hand man. I'm sure generals are more concerned with consolidating their positions against each other in the chaos opposed to putting down celebrations.

6. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The Empire had no choice, it had crumbled almost overnight. The Emperor was the Empire.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The local stormtrooper garrison commander probably gave the orders for the troops to massacre the celebrators in the Coruscant plaza.

But if you read the EU, read the novel Iron Fist for a firsthand account of what happened there.

8. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm a purist, not a big fan of the EU. The Empire fell when the Emperor was destroyed.

9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Indeed, the Empire did fall when the Emperor died. However, it didn't all collapse at once. Many Star Destroyer captains turned warlord and conquered whole sectors for themselves, while some loyalist Imperials maintained a semi-working government over Coruscant and the Core Worlds. This fragmentation of the Empire made it easier for the Rebellion to sweep up the pieces.

10. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I think it's actually more realistic of how the EU ran with it. Just because news of the second death star blowing up and the Emperor dying, doesn't mean the Imperials would allow the Empire to die. But, at the same time, RotJ needed some form of closure. I would have been content with the Endor celebration, but Lucas took it a step further with a galactic celebration. I think he just did it to tighten up the story. I have more of a issue with DSI being seen at the end of RotS than the galactic celebrations.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I feel the celebration scene really cheapens the whole idea that the population actually supported the Empire and all the evil stuff they did. If Palpatine was so hated by the people in the freaking heart of his Empire, then how is it that the Rebel Alliance doesn't just march into the Core Worlds? A regime like the Empire feeds on the apathy and consent of its populace, and that clearly isn't what we see in the celebration.

12. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, see that was the case in the core worlds from ROTS all through ANH, but see once Alderaan was destroyed and the Death Stars, more and more planets and people realized the true nature of the Empire and turned coat or at least secretly changed opinions but couldn't do anything for fear of being blown up by a Death Star.

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I can see it now
    *news has reached Coruscant of the Emperor's and Vader's deaths*
    Highest ranking big cheese in charge: "Oh, that's too bad. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Can't wait for the elections next Sunday!"

14. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    If you are in a position of command in the Empire you have to figure out what to do:

you can try and immediately sieze power, thus turning the focus of the rebellion against you (and possibly getting you involved in a battle against other leaders with the same goal)

or, you can try and form an allegiance with the rebels, they will need your support to avoid the universe devolving into anarchy...with that, you take a position of power in the new government that is to be formed

in order to maintain the "empire", you would have to first find a leader whose charisma can lead the universe (not so easy since you dont' have the power of the dark side behind you), then you must get the other commanders in the empire to join with you....

since this cannot happen overnight...it really is of no use to try and quash a celebration

let them celebrate while you work behind the scenes to take over...

15. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    The celebration at the end of ROTJ always seemed sort of surprising to me...

Throughout the OT, we never got to see how ordinary citizens felt about the Empire. In the PT, many people approved of it, and although we knew the support would deteriorate, we didn't know if anybody would stay with it until the end.

Now we know that everybody actually did hate the Emperor and he was desperately clinging to his power. Fun.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I always wondered how many people that Emperor statue crushed when it landed.

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    But that's the thing....people's opinions about the Empire depended on where they lived. If they were from the Outer Rim, they probably didn't like them. But if they were from the Core, they probably did. Seeing mass celebrations from the very center of Imperial rule makes no sense whatsoever.

Then again, mass celebrations on Tatooine and Bespin, both of which have always been disinterested and apathetic towards galactic affairs, doesn't make sense either.

18. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I can't remember entirely, and I can't be bothered to flick through Iron Fist until I find the exact quote, but as I recall, those celebrating were supposed to be the "Rebel Underground extremist" types (kinda like the people that protest everytime G8 has a meeting) and not representative of the full population of Coruscant itself.

19. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Naboo shouldn't have been included. Palpatine is from there and that should have been the last place that would have been cheering. BUT, I believe the EU is trying to explain that in the new Force Unleashed game/novel. They released various pictures from the game and one of them has the Executor in the sky above Naboo with AT-STs blowing things up all over the city.
    What is unexplainable is how Tatoonie is supposed to be far as hell from the Empire, not even in the Republic and everyone is cheering in Mos Eisley. Since when do we ever see that amount of people there? It looked way to busy with people to be tatoonie.

20. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    I think that Naboo being included is a good idea because it shows how pristine and nice-looking Palpatine kept his own homeworld. It's eerie--like going into any dictator's beloved home after he's just been killed, right? "So this is what he liked."

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Maybe all those celebrating on Naboo were Gungans??? I know I'd severely mistreat them if I were an evil galactic dictator [face_mischief]

22. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Who said that all these celebrations were happening at the same time. Maybe some of revealers at Tatooine were also partying on Cloud City or Naboo, later on.

23. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The Empire collapsed, immediately. That's why the celebrations were shown, to let the audience know that the Emperor was dead, Vader was dead, the Death Star was gone, the Imperial fleet had been destroyed, the dreaded Stormtroopers had been defeated by backwards savages, the Rebel Alliance had succeeded, the Jedi had returned, and freedom had been restored to the galaxy. It's not that complicated...

24. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The Empire was still very much a force to be reckoned with after ROTJ if they had worked together to defeat the Alliance. However, each moff and Star Destroyer captain wanted his own piece of the pie, and there weren't enough pieces to go around. That is the ultimate reason why the Rebellion succeeded. Without Palpatine's leadership and Vader's dominance, the Empire fragmented.

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I do not know if that's a fair assertion to make. The OT was more focused on how the GCW affected a variety of people: a smuggler, a farm boy, a princess, and a rag tag assortment of rebels. The PT on the other hand pretty much only focused on the aristocratic classes: senators, the Jedi, and a queen (which is one thing I wish was different about the PT). Thus, we really don't know how wide spread support for Palpatine was amongst the common person. We only know that a largely corrupt Senate supported him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.