main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did the New Republic use Star Destroyers?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by AstroDroid88, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    So why did the New Republic also use Star Destroyers in their Navy? I never understood why they would want to keep them and not just use their Mon Cals. I know that a lot of prominent figures have used them, including Leia herself had a Star Destroyer flagship. Sure, they replaced the TIEs with starfighters of the New Republic but I don't think they should have used the kept with the capital ships that were famous for the Empire

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They probably figured on not looking a gift horse in the mouth - when you've captured a billion-odd credits worth of war machine near-intact, that has the same role as a Mon Cal Cruiser - scrapping it merely on the grounds of dislike of the Imperial aesthetic - or even on the "symbolic of tyranny" grounds, makes little sense.

3. panta1978

panta1978 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 20, 2016
    By the way, not looking a gift horse in the mouth is what they did when they were given the CLONE army :D Just jokin' I don't think this time they'll get the same surprise. At least I hope not!

Edit. Fixed. It was obviously the clone army, not a droid one!!!

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Captured Star Destroyers could cause trouble for the Empire.
    Sneak into Imperial held areas, etc.

Makes tactical sense to me.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That's what they counted on in Vision of the Future. Of course, they had to use the Errant Venture to carry out their plan.

Darth Basin and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I don't think they had the luxury of not pressing into service captured Imperial capital ships, regardless of what symbolic status they had under the New Order. They needed every ship they could get their hands on to help defeat the Imperial Remnant and what remained of the Imperial Navy. I've always assumed that's why the New Republic fleet was such a gong show in terms of commonality and structure, even when they became a galactic government they were still trying to match the Imperials naval strength which meant old and unique ships couldn't be retired in favour of standardized new production ships.

Darth Basin and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Take all of that a step further.

The Empire never had to worry about credits. If they needed weapons of war they forced the factories to produce them, even if it was slave labor.

The New Republic wouldn't have done this though. Instead they had to pay for it. Paying for it costs lots of money. When an ISD is there for the grabbing, your take it.

Also I think the NR never really had a full on combat warship that was as well rounded as the ISD was.

Iron_lord and Darth Basin like this.
  8. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Interesting take, but I think part of the reason why the New Republic never developed a pure successor the the Imperial-class Star Destroyer was that it didn't have a need for such a ship. I would probably agree with you that the Imperial-class is the smallest hull which brings significant capabilities in all aspects of capital ship combat operation: ship-to-ship firepower, anti-starfighter capability via it's fighter complement, hanger space, troop/vehicle capacity, command and control, speed, and endurance.

The primary aspect that the New Republic didn't need is for its capital ships in this size range to house a two brigade strength army formation complete with landing craft and armoured vehicles. The Empire needed to maintain central control through fear and martial law, the New Republic had no need to maintain garrisons on ever member world.

Therefore, although the New Republic never produced as well-rounded a ship as the Imperial-class I think ships like the Nebula-class and Bothan Assault Cruiser were particularly well suited to the needs of the New Republic and later Galactic Alliance.

Scapro Tyler and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I will agree with you for the most part and I am sure the reason the NR never developed their equivalent ISD is because of this very reason.

That being said, it was wise to keep ISDs wherever possible because you never know when you actually might need them! ;)

JABoomer likes this.
  10. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    According to Wookiepedia, the Galactic-class Battle Carrier was designed as the successor to the Imperial-class in Galactic Alliance service. Most likely with an increase in fighter/hanger capacity at the expense of troop/vehicle capacity as we talked about.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic-class_battle_carrier

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  11. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Awesome find and you are probably right

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    JABoomer likes this.
  13. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Which explains why Leia got so much flak even before Nil Spaar's propaganda in the Black Fleet Crisis.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    In the age of tall ships, reusing captured enemy ships was fairly common, wasn't it? The fledgling US navy acquired a few British ships during the Revolution, and during the Napoleonic wars, the French & British swapped ships several times as trophies. So, real historic precedent to what Iron_Lord said...

Scapro Tyler and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I mean, even during World War II, the Nazi's reused ANYTHING they captured.

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I just remembered, good example: the US Coast Guard Academy has a tall ship, the Eagle, used to train the officer cadets. Originally, it was a German navy ship, called the Horst Wessel. Kept by the US as a trophy ship after WW2. So, yes, I can see reusing captured Star Destroyers...although I rather hope they changed the color scheme!

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

Considering how expensive any paint other than Star Destroyer White is - maybe Rebel symbols are enough:

[​IMG]

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

They made the exception for Booster Terrik after the Hand of Thrawn duology. :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't Booster only able to afford that much red paint because Karrde had bought it all and then sold it to him (through intermediaries) dirt cheap?

PCCViking likes this.
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I think so, but I also thought Karrde didn't mention to Booster about that connection.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. Technically, it was the New Republic that did the buying and the painting, because that was the terms Booster made for the use of his ship in the Yaga Minor attack:

“Sometimes I think of that ship as one massive red warning light.”
    “It’s certainly bright enough.” Luke shook his head. “I am never, ever, going to get used to that color.”
    “I kind of like it,” Mara said. “Especially given where it came from.”
    “You mean Booster strong-arming General Bel Iblis to refit and repaint?”
    “I was thinking of the paint itself,” Mara said. “Did you know the New Republic bought all of it from Karrde?”
    Luke blinked. “You’re kidding. Did Bel Iblis know?”
    “Don’t be silly,” Mara said with a lopsided smile. “You know Bel Iblis. He’d have had a fit on general principles if he’d known Karrde had made any money on this deal. No, Karrde played it all very cool and through at least three intermediaries and a dummy corporation. I don’t think even Booster knows.”
    “Trust me, he doesn’t,” Luke said. “Corran once told me that one of Booster’s great joys in life these days is telling people how he managed this whole thing without any help or interference from the great Talon Karrde. I wonder what he’d say if he knew that was Karrde’s paint on his hull.”
    “I know what Karrde would say,” Mara warned. “Both before and after he nailed my hide to the hull. One of his great joys is watching Booster strut around blissfully unaware of the ways he’s dipped in and out of the old pirate’s life over the years.”
    Luke shook his head. “They’re a matched pair. You know that?”
    “Don’t tell them that, either,” Mara said.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I was thinking of the interiors, rather than the hull. I'd find working in all that dark gray very depressing! :p

I haven't gotten to Booster yet in my re-read; looking forward to it. And yes, I remember the first time through, it was hard to tell the difference between him & Kaarde.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.