main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why did the Tusken Raiders torture Shmi?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Oct 7, 2012.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i agree. no one is comepletely devoid of a dark side.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke wasn't devoid of vengefulness (though he usually suppressed it) but there's a distinct lack of "hunger for power" anywhere. Callista mentions that in Planet of Twilight.

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    There's a lot of reasons to take a person prisoner. My personal version, irregardless of canon, was the Tuskens kidnapped her and were interrogating her about the settlers.

Shmi, sadly, didn't speak Tusken.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You'd think the Tuskens would have thought of that.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    yeah, which brings us back to hatred. A lot of atrocities are done out of hatred between two people. Still, I'm joining the ranks of those who think it was a ham-fisted way to force the issue and too much-too soon to have Anakin do it. The Prequels weren't bad (IMHO) by any stretch of the imagination but Anakin's fall has never sat right with me.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Rogue Planet implied (to me, anyway) that Anakin could loose it - just that time it looked like self-defence (although we don't actually know all the details).

Atrocities often become habit after a time, don't they?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Both Greg Bear and Jude Watson tried way too hard to make it look like Anakin had anger issues and inserted very contrived scenes in their books in order to do so--Watson almost admitted doing this when she said she couldn't separate Anakin from Vader.

Since one point of the prequels and ROTJ is that Anakin is different from Vader (while not physically being a different person) and the point of the Tusken slaughter, the point that gives it its impact, is that Anakin hadn't lost it that way before, I have difficulty taking either Bear or Watson's characterization of Anakin seriously. I certainly am not going to take one incident from a Bear book and stretch it to assume that Anakin was habitually committing atrocities by AOTC.

9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I was actually referering to the Tuskens vs the Farmers on the 'Atrocities often become habit after a time, don't they?' point. Sorry for not making that clear enough.

As for the Rogue Planet incident, it was obviously serious enough to warrant counselling - and equally obviously to do with an application of the Force - but, as I said, we don't have all the details.