main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Why did they cut that out?! The deleted scenes thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by squir1y, Oct 25, 2014.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    We've all bought DVDs of our favorite flicks, watched some deleted scenes and wanted to know why some scenes were deleted. There are reasons such as timing or keeping the pace of the movie, but have you seen any that you think would've made a movie better?

Honestly, I think Attack of the Clones would've benefited from keeping the scenes with Padme's family. Sure, they were as lamely acted as the rest of the movie, but it gave her more character development. Revenge of the Sith also would've been improved by putting the scenes with the Senators discussing their displeasure with Palpatine's growing power. It gave Padme a more important role and gave some more character depth to Bail Organa. And if I had my way I would re-insert the Luke/Biggs scenes back into A New Hope. Sure it slows down the pace a little, but it humanized Luke a little more and added more drama during the final battle.

As for other movies, I would've liked to have seen these scenes in the original Terminator. I know I lot of people don't like the idea of Reese crying (tough guys don't cry! Wah wah wah!), but I liked that it set up its sequel nicely and more to their characters.

You got any that kept you wondering?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The Beheading scene in episode three of this current series of Doctor Who. I understand why it was cut (Thanks ISIS), but in cutting that scene we lost a crucial bit of information in revealing the sherrif to be a robot.

3. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I don't think I've ever watched a deleted scene which I thought should have stayed in the final cut. With respect to the PT there simply weren't enough deleted scenes really.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Out of all the people I know who've seen Clerks -and liked it-, I'm the only one who favors the sudden, dark turn of that alternate ending.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  5. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009

Even though this was was in the ROTJ novelization, they should've kept it in the final movie, to show how much trouble the Rebels were in, and show how far the Emperor was willing to go to destroy them.

ShaneP and HL&S like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Jango's head-butt with Kenobi was cut in the UK theatrical showing of AOTC.

7. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Almost every time I watch a series of deleted scenes on a DVD, my first thought is, "deleted scenes are deleted for a reason".

Didn't the Emperor also surmise that Luke had continued his training with Yoda in the ROTJ novelization?

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Except with alternate scenes, about 99% of deleted scenes I would've preferred to be left in the movie. I never get bored with movies so making them even longer is always a plus with me.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Stargate definetly benefitted from getting a Director's Cut. So did The Patriot.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's a vast difference between "deleted scenes" and "a director's cut," where the latter usually involves totally recutting the film. For instance, The Abyss director's cut is superior because it's an entirely new cut of the film, with many sequences and plotlines that had been cut via studio interference put back in.

Violent Violet Menace and Debo like this.
  11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yes.

12. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    On that topic, the most revelatory Director's Cut for me is Terminator 2. I will never watch the theatrical cut again.

squir1y likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I pretty much believe any Cameron director's cut is going to be better if he's forced to get something into theaters.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

The joke's so bad & obvious that it's GOOD; should have been in the final cut.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've always thought that was a very strange cut to bother making.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    All of the deleted scenes in ROTK.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Preemptive generic answer:
    Pacing.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This makes no sense? Why would anyone do this? The Rebels had one strike team on Endor, and their only reason for being there was to destroy the shield projectors. Why would you do their job for them?

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Better off deleted:

so glad they saved this stuff for Aliens.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I read the ROTJ novelization ages ago and, IIRC, blowing up with the DS2 was Jerjerrod's idea; a desperate move from a desperately crazed man seeing how poorly the battle was going (I figure seeing the Imperial Fleet's flagship smash into the construction project you're supervising will do that to you). Palpatine, megalomaniac though he may be, would've seen such a plan as a terribly stupid idea. Especially since blowing up Endor would've destroyed EVERYTHING else in orbit, including the DS2 itself. Maybe that is a reason as to why that scene was cut.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Alright, I don't know what the deal is with these scenes, how many versions of the movie there are, sometimes they're in, sometimes they're out.

Aliens.

Hudson's entire "state of the badass art" speech does not happen in at least one version. In that same version, most of the robot guns scene is cut, only the very end is kept, they removed most of the ammo countdown where the guns are just blowing Aliens to bits.

I think the version that includes the above scenes is called the extended version.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think I'm one of few people who has seen the extended cut of Terminator 2 who prefers the theatrical cut. I think the extended cut has some sequences that are a little too meandering and some scenes that IMO don't really add much. I think it was a good call to cut most of them down, as they're not worth the slowed down pacing they cause. I like the added introductory scenes of Dyson's family at his house. Spending a few moments with them makes you care more about the character's death later on. I also liked Sarah dreaming about Reese. That sequence is a good character moment for her, providing some added depth and insight into her inner life and motivations.

All of the additions apart from those two were wisely cut IMO. The T-1000's glitching toward the end having been re-inserted ruins a scene that I always found to be a great character moment between mother and son Connor. The way it was shot, and supposed to play out was that John is able to spot the T-1000 imitating his mother because of its glitch. In the theatrical cut, completely unplanned and due to great editing, it instead just appears as John figures it out by instinct. You know, because he knows his mother. And the reason why the editor/editors allowed it is that it just works. The fake Sarah is acting uncharacteristically fragile while the real Sarah enters as a badass moments later, leaving no doubt about who is the real one.

23. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    in my experience, the only "director's cut" that actually destroyed the entire movie was the donnie darko one. i pretty much can't even watch the theatrical cut anymore.

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The most jarring difference between a theatrical cut and a director's cut is Cinema Paradiso. The extended edition completely changes the movie and I don't want to think too much about it to remember it.
    I prefer watching the theatrical cut of Terminator 2 when I rewatch the movie. The extended version felt like it bogged down the build-up to the two Terminators meeting, although I remember seeing Michael Biehn in the trailer.
    I'm not familiar with all the versions of Blade Runner to know or remember what is different about the Final Cut other than the narration and the ending.
    While I anticipated seeing the scenes with Padme's family, thanks to the Official Site showcasing the actors from them, I didn't think any of the deleted Prequel scenes were done well. The ones from Revenge of the Sith were rightly cut. I wanted to see Mon Mothma but those scenes were just more walking and talking or sitting and talking. We don't need to see Yoda arrive on Dagobah.