main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Vader believe Luke was on the Falcon

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Naboo1, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Surely, he would have thought that Luke might have also been on one of the X-Wings leaving Hoth?

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    he wasn't necessarily after luke at this point. the falcon made a fool of vader and he wanted the ship. vader knew luke would come to him if he had the ship because he knew they were luke's friends. it was all part of his scheme.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He may have sensed Leia and assumed it was Luke.

4. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    He wanted all the main rebels. If he didn't catch Luke on the Falcon, he would still have Luke's friends. Either way, Luke would have to face Vader.

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    You stand corrected Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek.

6. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    There is no indication from the film that Vader ever thought Luke was on the Falcon. (Referring to the scenes immediately following the battle of Hoth.) True, he's after the Falcon, but he never says that he thinks Luke is on it. "There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millenium Falcon..." "I want that ship, not excuses" etc. Vader's goal is clearly to capture Luke's friends and lure him in to rescue them.

I don't remember any explanation for why the Imperial fleet didn't just go after Luke's X-Wing leaving Hoth. Vader can obviously sense Luke's presence, but when Luke is leaving, there's no sign of any Imperial ships chasing him down.

(Could it be because the Falcon was easier to capture, and the X-wing was too fast? I doubt it - Han refers to the Falcon as "the fastest ship in the fleet" in ROTJ, and the fleet clearly includes X-Wings.)

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke and Wedge found a seam through the Imperial fleet. Han was not so lucky.

8. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    Evidently so.

I guess they didn't take Vader seriously when he said "Deploy the fleet so that nothing gets off the system."

9. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    In the ESB radio drama, it's clear that Luke, Wedge and Terran(whoever the heck that is) are among the very last Rebels to leave Hoth. Wedge expresses concern about running the Imperial blockade, but Luke says, "The Empire must be pretty scattered by now from chasing all the other transports."

So I think all the Star Destroyers probably accidently left a space open somewhere in their attempt to capture the other fleeing ships, leaving a gap for Luke and them to slip through undetected.

10. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    He wasn't after Luke at that point.

The Falcon was one of the last ships to take off, and was spotted by Imperial Stormtroopers as it left the base. It made an easier target - freighters cannot maneuver as fast as starfighters.

The ship had contributed to the destruction of the Death Star at Yavin.

The Falcon was more recognisable than one X-wing in a fleet of several.

Several reasons :)

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "He wasn't after Luke at that point."

Yes, he was. "I am sure, Skywalker is there" and the line in the opening crawl about him searching for Luke.

12. Franksta

Franksta Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2003
    i always thought Vader was pist at the Falcon for what happens at the end of ANH.

13. Mysterious_Assassin

Mysterious_Assassin Jedi Master

Aug 4, 2003
    I agree with Franksta to a certain extent, and came to the conclusion that Vader knows that if he finds the Falcon he'll find Luke. If Luke was on the Falcon then Vader has him. If Luke wasn't on the Falcon, Vader can use it to lure Luke to rescue his friends. Either way he has Luke.

14. shadowplay_80

shadowplay_80 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2001
    Besides, Luke's X-WIng had a functional hyperdrive, so (even if he could pick it out among all the other X-Wings in the area) the Falcon was the ship that couldn't get away as easily.

15. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    The only time I remember Vader thinking Luke was on the Falcon was when Luke, Leia, Lando and Chewie were leaving Bespin. Man I gotta watch that again.

16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    He knew he'd come with help, and he knew he wouldn't come alone.

17. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    if i understand the post preceding mine, he means luke.

and yes, r2d2 was a big help

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    i always thought Vader was pist at the Falcon for what happens at the end of ANH.

Maybe - but I don't think that would be justification for him to use the sheer amount of military resources he did to find the Falcon. He had to think there were important passengers onboard.

19. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I always got the impression that the plan went pretty much as Vader wanted, and that he knew that Luke wasn't on the Falcon, but the Falcon would ultimately bring him Luke.

20. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    I think Vader just wanted the Falcon cause it was such a thorn in his plans. Plus he probably knew what the Falcon do.

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Or maybe he spotted 3PO running aboard the Falcon and wanted his old droid back :p

22. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "i always thought Vader was pist at the Falcon for what happens at the end of ANH."

I don't think that was really Vaders concern.

He foresaw that he could use Han and Leia as bait.

Thats why he tortured them on cloud city but didn't ask them any questions.

Because he knew in the past, Luke would have a vision of the future of his friends in pain. Vader knew this.

"that is why your friends are made to suffer"

Vaders goal for the falcon is not made clear until Lando reveals that it is all a trap for Luke. He has no interest in Leia, CHewie, Han or the falcon.

23. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    He probably knew Luke would be on it for Luke was on it with Obi-Wan and he thought it was the ship for Luke to be on.

24. Captian_Jack

Captian_Jack Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2003
    The Falcon is a pretty cool ship. I wish I had one. I can't blame Vader for wanting one of his very own.

25. therebelforce

therebelforce Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    Personally I think he know Luke was not there and wanted his friends future to distract him and sent him the vision of his friends to him when he was on Dagobah to stop his traning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.