main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Vader block Luke's attack at Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SSD_Lusyanka, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    If Vader didn't block him, he would have killed the Emperor, turning him to the Dark Side. Then, he'd be Vader's apprentice. And they'd rule the galaxy.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke wasn't quite dark enough, so Vader had to coax him further along that path. Only then could he kill Palpatine and become Vader's apprentice.

3. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    Oh, ok. Thanks.

4. Tolkien101

Tolkien101 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2003
    Vader was still evil then, but seeing his son attacked was too much for him to "Let it go"

5. I_Am_Not_A_Committee

I_Am_Not_A_Committee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2003
    It is, however, a good question since Vader in ESB begged Luke to join him ("You can destroy the Emperor, he has foreseen this...") so they could rule the galaxy as father & son.

6. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    Yes, the Emperor already said that it would require both him and Vader to turn Luke. If Vader were left alone with Luke, he'd be unable to turn him and be forced to kill him.

7. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    The ROTJ novelization explains this: Vader didn't think Luke was ready to kill the Emperor yet, because he could still turn back to the light after killing the Emperor.

8. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    Also, it's not as though Palpatine could not have blocked the saber himself. He was a Dark Lord of the Sith, and Vader's Master. That alone speaks volumes about the power he must have possesed.

If Vader had not blocked the saber, Palpatine would have done so himself, and then killed Vader for disobedience.

9. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Because he is loyal to Palpatine just like he was to Obi-Wan. He blocked Dookus sabre from hitting Obi-Wan in AOTC the same way as he did to Lukes sabre when it was gonna hit Palpatine.

10. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Even if he didn't block it, Palpatine would've done something. Palpy isn't the kind of guy to just let himself be killed.

11. DarthLazious

Jan 24, 2003
    Palpatine might have used Force Lighting ON Luke for self defense.

12. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Palpatine was making a point that Luke would actually strike him proving Luke could turn to the darkside.
    Of course he wouldn't allow Luke to actually strike a blow but he had to make Luke see that like his father he could be made angry and turn.

13. Kirr_Canos

Kirr_Canos Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2003
    I havent thought about it that way. I always thought that Vader blocked Luke because he wanted to defend his master.

But I ordered the novels of the CT, so I can read it by myself :D

14. DarthLazious

Jan 24, 2003
  15. Jedi-HungerForce

Jedi-HungerForce Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2003
    I would say that Vader blocked Lukes attack on the Emporer because there wasnt enough darkness in Luke, and he wanted to draw him into a fight to release anger. The anger released by Luke would make him dark enough to kill the Emperor and turn to the Dark Side with no chance of him still being on the Light Side.

16. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Actually, there is a little known fact that whoever kills a Sith Master is the new Sith Master. That's why Vader didn't let Luke kill Palpy. He wanted to be the Master. He was tired of living under someone else's commands.

Actually, it's because Luke COULD NOT kill Palpy, because the Prophecy of the One says that Ani will kill the Sith Lord (I imigine).

17. TheHighEmperor

TheHighEmperor Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2001
    Maybe that is a dark power Palpatine has (like lightning).

He can literally control people. Not just by manipulation and lies, but like a mind trick. Maybe he used this dark power to ignite Vader's saber and block himself with it.

It would give this scene a new meaning if that occurs somehow in Episode III.

THE.

18. Boba_Kris

Boba_Kris Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    I thought Vader blocked Luke because he was protecting his master. In the OT, Vader is very loyal and obeys Palpatine.

19. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    I think maybe if Luke actually strikes Palpatine, his body will be exploded, and three of them will die. So, Vader has to block that shot.

20. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    "The ROTJ novelization explains this: Vader didn't think Luke was ready to kill the Emperor yet, because he could still turn back to the light after killing the Emperor."

That pretty much covers it.

21. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I think that Vader was trying to protect Luke because he didn't want his son to have to make the same mistake that he did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.