main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why did Vader die exactly?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 16, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    So what was the actually cause of his death? I mean, realistically he only got his hand sliced off. So what gives?

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Luke wasn't in a life support box, he could recover from lightning. Vader could not.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Metal is a good conductor of electricity.

4. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    imo,It's just one of those things that happen because ''it has to happen''.
    His life support would endure the lightning if the movie wanted it to. It didn't. Therefore he died.
    I buy it & try not to think of it because all movies have things like that basically...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I think getting electricuted like that while already having to rely on a suit to stay alive...and then having that suit fail from being electricuted...would be enough to do it. Perhaps if the Death Star wasn't about to blow up there would have been time to save him? But under the circumstances I think it all played out fairly logically.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Not really. Vader originally was supposed to fall into lava and die that way. Bionics can only take so much abuse.

Jo Lucas and Andy Wylde like this.
  7. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    Less so than a normal body? Robocop would disagree :p
    On a more serious note though...a galaxy that advanced in technology would most certainly be aware of such basic things as Faradey cages :-B (or whatever the name of the one that discovered them in the SWU would be)...this is why i try to overlook things like this. :(

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sith lightning isn't exactly normal electricity though.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Murphy got lucky as the technician said that it could kill him.

Andy Wylde and Darth Schlotkin like this.
  10. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    I didn't even remember that[face_nail_biting] , LOL!
    I was just referencing Robocop as a part human/part machine with much higher tolerances to most things that would kill a human.

Back to my original post...if he didn't die, it would still be ok 'cause we would make sense of it by saying opposites of what we say now.
    ex. Vader survived because he was part machine and much stronger than a mere humanoid or his suit had a Fa'ra'day enclosure referenced in book 'x' in the EU or the dark side lightining only hurts living cells etc. etc. etc.
    As i said b4, i just don't try to think about it, because if pure logic were applied, his mechanical/electronics would most probably be just fine if we took into account the technology depicted in SW....but then again...pretty much nothing in SW would happen if pure logic were applied to SW....so, i just let it get by me...
    It certainly doesn't bother me unless i try to make sense of it, LOL...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I remember reading years ago now that one reason why the Emperor was looking to recruit Luke in RotJ was that after twenty odd years Vader's body was slowly but surely giving in to the injuries that he had suffered all those years ago. In fact too much over exertion could do him in like say a lightsaber duel.

Something else to chew on as well is that for twenty years Vader had clung to his self-hatred like one would cling to a flotation device so learning about his son and then their fight was slowly wearing away at his self-hatred. In the end his self-hatred was one of the few things keeping him alive.

He also could have allowed himself to die to take the knowledge of the Sith with him.

12. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    That's exactly how i make sense of it too, although it's not clear!
    Looking it from a sentimental point of view, instead of techno/bio/logic/physical explanation, it kinda makes sense.
    Sth along the lines of:
    He lived a very sad&difficult life...but after saving his son&redeeming himself, he was pleased to meet his death & finally be in peace!
    (just thought about this...maybe he also lost the will to live rhyming back to ep3? [face_thinking]:confused:[face_dunno] )

Even though that still isn't a clear answer as to 'why' he died...which takes me back to my original post...:(

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    You could already hear his labored breathing immediately after sustaining the Emperor's attack. I believe that removing his breathing mask was what did him in (hence Luke's "but you'll die!"). Though it seems that Vader was already mortally wounded and wouldn't have lived much longer anyways ("nothing can stop that now"). The whole point was that he chose to cut his own life short just to have a face to face with his son.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Vader can briefly be heard wheezing while he's lying on the floor with Luke standing over him, lightsaber at Vader's throat, and as he gets up to stand next to the Emperor, before the Emperor's attack. However, it is much more pronounced and consistent after the electrocution.

Not that I'm disagreeing, just making a note. I prefer the simple explanation myself, electrocution equals life support failure, life support failure equals death.

15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    No doubt he was badly injured after the duel with Luke, but the lightning was what mortally wounded him

Andy Wylde and Lady_Misty like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The lightning shorted out his life support system.

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Like others said, lightning and life support boxes... not a good mix.

There's also the theory that the Emporer was using the dark side of the force to sustain Vader after Mustafar. Not only that, but it was his hatred that kept him alive, and now that he had let go of that and turned back towards the light, he was ready to let go.

Most simplistic answer though, besides the lightning... it was the end of the movie/ trilogy.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    He did seem in some sort of distress not long after Luke took off his hand and still was to some extent as he was standing up. I'd have to watch RotJ again and LISTEN when the Emperor is using the Force Lightning on Luke to see if his breathing pattern changes but at one point I believe it was normal just before he grabbed the Emperor but something was wrong the life support system after he tossed Palpatine over the edge.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This I always wonder what would have happened if he had lived.

Messi and Andy Wylde like this.
  20. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    His suit went boom de gasser!

21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    In Star Wars becoming a cyborg is not an improvement. General Grievous chronic coughing was to illustrate this. That the techology isn't perfect and that Cyborgs live with chronic health issuses and pain.

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Having never had evasive surgery isn't something that should done lightly because of potential setbacks. We don't know truly how long it took the droids to assemble the pieces, attach what was needed and then put him in it. Going by RotS hours but we have been told that after arriving on Coruscant not everything was told in the right order. Even if it did take the droids only a few hours to do everything Bail arriving on Alderaan, the visit to the Death Star and Luke being given to his aunt take place on different days. Vader would need serious rehab to learn how to not only move but to learn how to fight again. Any outings are going ot be short and no side trips.

For the record I have only had to go to the hospital three times. Once was for a broken collar bone between 18mos-2yrs (gotta love slightly older siblings trying to prove that they're big enough by carrying the second youngest) the second was 8-9yrs for a MRI where I would be sleeping through the entire thing (wouldn't have been able to stay still) and the last time was a few years ago when I did something foolish. Don't remember the first time but because of the nature of the last two I was hooked up to monitors.

Cutting into a human chest to not only implant some sort of pacemaker but to remove organs and place other devices in the chest takes some time and is major.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Vader did have to die in order to fulfill the prophecy. He and Sidious were the only 2 Sith alive. In order to fulfill the prophecy, he too had to die. No Sith. Force back in balance. Anakin may have thought he redeemed himself to his son and himself at that. But he knows he would never be redeemed in the eyes of anyone else. But redemption isn't even the issue.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Redemption is the only issue. Anakin sacrificed himself to balance the Force, which happened when Sidious died.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. TerranOvermind

TerranOvermind Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but wasn't Luke taking Vader's mask off technically the reason he died? Sure, Vader's life support was damaged, but Vader wanting to see Luke "with his own eyes" sped up his demise. They could have tried to get his suit repaired, but I reckon Vader was either ready to die or didn't want to risk missing the chance to speak to Luke one last time.