main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Vader fall down in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Indy3, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    When Vader and Luke were dueling in the duel in ROTJ, it looks like Vader goes down intentionally.

Was it bad acting or he was killed on purpose?

2. TheUnknownSyn

TheUnknownSyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    I haven't had a close look at the scene, but I always had the impression he just tripped over his own feet (as stupid as that sounds...), basically. Luke was pushing him back quickly and Vader may have become a bit nervous knowing he was getting near the pit.

3. Darth_Gojira

Darth_Gojira Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    It's called "getting wailed on by the kid you're trying to recruit".

4. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    If you mean why does he fall down after he loses his hand it is called pain. Yes it seems hard to understand when Vader is mostly machine but the pain of him losing his hand and with luke striking at him, Vader just becomes exhausted and falls.

5. jediart

jediart Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Vaders fall down does look a little forced.But.......
    maybe Luke was in such a rage that even the mighty Vader
    couldn't stand against it.
    EMPEROR - Your hate has made you powerful.

Like OBI-Wan was in a rage against Maul.
    Maul had to force push Obi to get him off him.

6. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yeah I am saying that it looked forced, planned out.

Not realistic.

7. jediart

Aug 16, 2001
    yep forced not very well planned.
    Just like when Anakin got his arm cut off..not very well done.

Oh well I still love Star Wars. :D

8. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    "Yeah I am saying that it looked forced, planned out."

Movie fights are usually planned out... :)

9. jediart

Aug 16, 2001
    It would help if it looked real ;)

10. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah this scene started to bother me only recently. My "In Universe" answer is that it was his destiny to fall down, of course his destiny was in the Emporer's point of view. Thus he was sapped of energy and yes Luke had grown all powerful, he really had no choice if you think about it.

11. Padmes_Pager_Boy

Padmes_Pager_Boy Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2004
    Vader was starting to be redeemed. He is staritng to relize he is fighnting his very own son, and he is emotionally being destroyed, and falls with Mental sickness for his life, how he ruined his sons childhood, the Galaxy and everyhting. He is brekaing down, and dosent wish to fight his own son anymore.

12. dark_jedi_olah

dark_jedi_olah Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2004
    I watched ROTJ tonight and just noticed this for the first time....It seems intentional, like Vader just gave up.....

13. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    If you mean why does he fall down after he loses his hand it is called pain. Yes it seems hard to understand when Vader is mostly machine but the pain of him losing his hand and with luke striking at him, Vader just becomes exhausted and falls.

Vader has nerve sensors built into his robotic hand. That's the reason he cried out in pain when Luke cut it off.

14. Darth_Gojira

Darth_Gojira Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2004
    How did it look forced? He was tired, Luke was practically on top of him, and he was completely overpowered. That entire final section of the duel consisted of Vader skedaddling backwards trying not to get his head lopped off by his near-psychotic son.
    To use grudge-match terminology, Luke had THE RAGE(tm).

15. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I think that when Vader is taunting Luke and he says, "If you cannot be turned, perhaps she will..." and Luke is ignited into furious combat, the son of Vader is blazing with Force power. I think that in addition to the physical hammering Luke was handing his father, I think also that there was a mental/spiritual battle being fought there as well, and Luke simply overwhelmed his dad, who by the point was on the side of evil only half-heartedly.

16. DARTH_OCKMAN

DARTH_OCKMAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2003
    Its called Luke is a bad @ss and he was giving Vader huge blows that he just couldn't take, kinda like getting your @ss whooped.

17. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    If you mean why does he fall down after he loses his hand it is called pain.

Um...Vader falls down before Luke slices his hand off!

18. KentButabi

KentButabi Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    Also, Vader has not had anyone challenge him like this in a long time. He probably was not used to going defense for so long.

I like the mental theory too.

19. Dagobah-jay

Dagobah-jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003
    it can be argued that Vader knew a few things..

1. luke will not be turned and will be destroyed by palps if he continues to fight him.

2. luke will not destroy Vader; and Vader cannot "beat" luke due to his conflicting emotions

3. Palps will let his guard down in terms of how he views vader if he thinks Vader is not capable of fighting anymore and has to defend himself

4. Now is his time to finally destroy the Sith Master as he has been planning to do for 20 years.

5. he stands up. watches Luke get fried for a bit before doing anything which maybe because its not until Palps is totally focused on destroying Luke himself that Vader can get to him: or Vader knows that as soon as Palps dies, so will he and there is no way around that..so it takes him a bit to do the right thing, even though he planned to do it..reality was setting in.

or:

Luke was just to powerful and his fury knocked him to his feet. Period.

20. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Ok, some of y'all just lose the faith way too easily with these movies. If you can't suspend disbelief with this fight choreography, you might as well give up.

It looks simple to me. Luke's backing him into the pit. Luke thrusts his saber screen-right and jabs a railing. Vader lumbers screen-left and tumbles into another railing. Luke pounds on him until he chops off his hand. No chance for Vader to regain his footing. He was outclassed and his heart wasn't in it to begin with.

21. Darth_Threepio

Darth_Threepio Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2004
    I think it was a combination of things. Luke was royaly pissed at the thought of Leia being turned,Vader wasn't ready for such a sudden onslaught from his son, and also I agree with whoever said Vader's heart wasn't in it.

22. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    ^^^
    Best explanation I've seen. He simply gave up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.