main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Did Vader Go On Living?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LordVader66, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediCleric

JediCleric Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    Why did Vader go on living? In a word? Power.

The immense power of the darkside of the force (and all of the trappings therein) was the sole reason for Anakin/Vader to continue on once he knew Padme was truly dead. Obtaining more and more power was something that was all too central to Anakin's life even as a Jedi. Now, as Vader, there is nothing left but that quest, that thirst, for more...

2. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Maybe this question is why some people had problems with Anakin's character to begin with.
    I think by this point, he's just too far gone. But then he gets upsets when he hears about Padme's death. He's a ball of emotions, from mad to happy to sad all throughout ROTS.

3. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Good question. He lost his wife, killed all the Jedi for nothing, lost his power in the Force, and was crippled. It's as if he was duped into becoming a Sith. But once the mask is on and he's alive, he has to live with his decisions and there's no backing out. His only friend is the Emperor and in an odd way he's looked over Anakin since he arrived on Coruscant.

4. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Vader went on living because he was a Sith and what do sith want, to overthrow there master. He knew that one day he would be able to overthrow Palpatine and rule the universe.

And to the above poster who said he killed the Jedi for no reason. He killed the Jedi because he belived it was his path tp greater power and to saving Padme.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

5. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Well Anakin died and became the Darth Vader we all love. To answer why did Vader go on living is because it was the will of the Force and because he was some what motivated to find and kill the man who made him the way he is(not Palpatine but Obi-wan)

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

According to Dark Lord:

The Chosen One died on Mustafar.

Anakin died on Coruscant.

Vader lived because Palpatine made it happen...

From Darkhorse Comics/ PURGE:

This is a Jedi's description of Vader as he approaches.

"Death Walking. Palpatine's mailed fist, Dooku's successor, Maul's inheritor, The New Sith-- DARTH VADER!!"

I found DEATH WALKING to be an interesting choice of words...

7. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    DEATH WALKING?
    I TAKE IT TO MEAN THAT HE WAS THE MOST DANGEROUS WALKING HUMAN WEAPON OUT THERE.

as to the main topic of the thread, is it possible vader wanted to live because he thought it would be possible one day to bring padme back from the dead?

8. linycvoy

linycvoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2006
    Anikan died, and Vader was born. I think it is that simple.

9. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Why did Vader go on living?

Because Sidious forced him to. He will not allow Vader to take the easy way out into death's door when he still needs him to maintain control of both the Empire and the universe and plus, Vader has no choice but to obey him after he lost all of his potential from his fight with Obi-wan and then realizing that his entire reasoning for going to the Dark Side went up in flames just like his body.

10. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    hmm well the only reason i can give is for one we need a way to get to the old trilogy. second vader realized that not all jedi were dead and from the looks of it he would not stop until all of them were dead which took about 20 years to do, also he knew about the potentional of the death star what power could be gained from it. i also think his hatred drew him to go on especially knowing obiwan was still alive to be killed. and i would say kill yoda as well but i dont think he knew yoda survived unless sidious told him.

power is what drove him, i mean come on would you die if you knew there was still the man out there who crippled you for life? and as well would you die if you were on the verge of becoming so powerful you would have to answer to noone. very simple folks.

11. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    "The Vader side which truly believes the Jedi are traitors to the Republic, that power is the answer to all, that everything he did he did for Padme.

But there's the small quiet voice inside of Anakin Skywalker who whispers that the Jedi were true he only chooses to believe in their betrayal to justify his actions. That if he really did do it all for Padme, he would have walked away with her on Mustafar. That he chose power for power's sake alone and killed everything he ever loved to get it.
    "

I think the book did a much better job of describing this.

In the book it explains how he knew Palpatine was trying to manipulate him. How, while he knew there were some thing he didn't like about how the Jedi were doing things, but he knew palpatine was wrong. Even after he turned, and chopped off mace's arm, when anakin was going "what have I done", he says that he came here to save palpatine's life, not betray the jedi. This was after palpatine laid it on thick to try to convince him the jedi were evil.

Then goes on to say that he knew what he was about to do was wrong, and he created the Vader "persona" to quench his fears and do what was necessary.

As stated, he then had 2 objectives: 1) save padme, 2) kill palpatine. He didn't know Padme was dead until after he had been saved in the suit.

Then, the book's description on his scream.
    You loved her. You will always love her. You could never will her death.
    Never.
    But you remember?
    You remember all of it.
    You remember the dragon (Anakin) that you brought Vader forth from your heart to slay. You remember the cold venom in Vader?s blood. You remember the furnace of Vader?s fury, and the black hatred of seizing her throat to silence her lying mouth?
    And there is one blazing moment in which you finally understand that there was no dragon. There was no Vader. There was only you. Only Anakin Skywalker.
    That it was all you. Is you.
    Only you.
    You did it.
    You killed her.
    You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself?
    It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith?
    Because now your self is all you will ever have.
    ?
    And in the end, you cannot touch the shadow (Sidious).
    In the end, you do not even want to.
    In the end, the shadow is all you have left.
    --------------------------

Now, I don't think that he literally created a dual indentity, but I think he tried to convince himself that the jedi were evil. I think it was clearly described as him convincing himself of this, not of Palpatine. He convinced himself of it so he so he would be able to accept what he felt was necessary to save Padme.

Honestly, I think if he knew that Padme had died when he was being saved, he wouldn't have lived. I Lucas purposefully held out on having Vader informed (and being informed being shown on screen) until after Vader was in the suit and "healthy".

After the scream, I think his only reason for staying alive is power. It's all he had left.

12. Darth Nemesis

Darth Nemesis Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 1999
    Well said SixEagle

13. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    i know why Vader went on Living:

Becase if he didn't, there'sd be no Original Trilogy, No Death Star, no Luke and Leia, Etc...

14. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    hearing that his wife dies filled him with Vile and anger wanting Revenge!!! But Sid showed him to to use that anger to punish ALL

15. kyoshiro-kenobi

kyoshiro-kenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2003
    I think you could look at it either 1 of 2 ways:

1. Anakin fell more and more under the power of the dark side with each passing second since his conversion in Palps' office. Look at all the evil he accomplished in just a few hours since the conversion - he slaughtered every youngling he came across, he slaughtered every unarmed separatist he came across, he tried to kill his wife and unborn child (children), and he tried to kill his mentor/best-friend/brother/father figure. By the time of his immolation, the dark side had so consumed his heart that it never occurred to him to quit living. The lust for power (to learn everything he could from Palpatine and then kill him to rule the galaxy himself) and the need for revenge against Obi-Wan ruled his life from that moment onward.

or

2. When Anakin was defeated, he didn't know Padme's condition. In his mind, he still needed Palpatine's Sith teachings to save her. The longing to save her could have kept him alive til the Vader suit took over. You could argue that the last vestige of good died in him when he learned Padme was dead (at least until he witnesses Luke's goodness), and it was at that time he became fully enthralled by Palpatine. Who knows, maybe he thought that he could somehow raise Padme from the dead at a later time, but the longer he was Vader, her reincarnation became less and less important to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.