main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did vader try to freeze Luke if he wanted him to join him?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LovedAnakin, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovedAnakin

LovedAnakin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    This question appeared under a different topic. I feel this is an interesting question.

Vader's reasons for making contact with luke are one or both of the following.
    (1) the good that still remained in him wanted to find him
    (2) He wanted to use luke as a device to overthrow the emperor.

Vader obviously wanted to keep his reasons to himself which is why he played dumb with the emperor. Was the freezing chamber incident a way for vader test how powerful luke had become? Is it possible that according to the results of this test, vader would know whether or not to persuade luke to join him OR to send him to the emperor to be turned or killed?

holla back!

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    It was so he could get Luke to the Emperor with him resisting. Luke would not have gone quietly.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The point of the freezing was that Luke would not willingly surrender to Vader so the only way to detain him was to freeze him.

4. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Vader obviously wanted to Luke to be frozen. So he intended to take him back to the Emperor. I think the original plan was really to turn Luke to the darkside and use him to help destroy the Rebellion.

Once he realized that Luke was stronger than he thought, Vader went about a different way of trying to turn him.

For me, based on the events of ROTJ, I don't think Vader's offer to Luke to overthrough the Emperor was serious. I think it was a false promise to try and turn him.

So anyways, I think all along Vader was just going to freeze Luke, and that was as far as his plan went, until Luke escaped freezing.

5. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    I disagree. What about his offer to Padme? He was really determined to be THE most powerful Force wielder in the galaxy, even then.

6. celestia

celestia Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    and if you've read shadows of the empire steve perry depicts vader as very interested in turning luke and then overthrowing the emperor.
    i always thought it was interesting that vader wasn't more concerned that the emperor might be able to read his thoughts about that...or since vader knew that the emperor had forseen that luke could overthrow him, wouldn't it stand to reason that if luke and vader could overthrow palpatine and take over that the emperor would forsee that as well???

7. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Vader's "offer" to Padme did not exist in 1980, and it was hardly the same offer he made to Luke.

Shadows did not exist in 1980 and has no impact on the movies.

Look, if Vader really wanted to have Luke join him, he must have given up on that idea real quickly. Why else would he bring him directly to the Emperor. They both were alone with the Emperor; there was ample room to join, or at least try to get him to join together, at that point. Vader didn't even repeat the offer to Luke on Endor.

I think you will see by his dialogue and actions Vader clearly wants Luke to turn to the dark side, and that's it. He even refers to the Emperor as Luke's master.

In ESB, Vader was trying to seduce Luke by offering him the power to end the conflict that was destroying the galaxy and his friends. But ultimately, Vader served the Emperor; thus the empty promise.

Additionally, I highly doubt this was some extravagant plan by Vader to have the Emperor turn Luke, and then join with Luke, because Vader obviously knows how clever the Emperor is and I doubt he would chance it. Too risky.

8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Because Vader wanted a Luke-cicle. And to stop him from whining all the way to the Emperor.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm sure Vader believed that "only together [they] could turn him to the darkside" (although that particular line is spoken in RotJ, but it was probably true in TESB already)

But I like that theory. Not sure if it can be true, but it's interesting. Why not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.