main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Did Yoda Die?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by THX1138-4EB, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THX1138-4EB

THX1138-4EB Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    I've always assumed that in ROTJ Yoda just died of old age, but after just watching it again, I just realised that he says something like "soon I will rest, for ever sleep" and then I think he says "wounded I am"

So, I guess Yoda gets wounded in ep 3? Maybe he's wounded while fighting Palpatine?

2. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    It's "earned it, I have". He's 900 years old, after everything he's been through, he felt that he has earned the chance to put off his mortal coil, so to speak.

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    He was old, that's all. He had done what he had needed to do, and had earned his rest.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    He didn't say "wounded I am." He said "earned it, I have". And boy, after all he must have been through during the Clone Wars and watching Palpatine corrupt Anakin... I guess he sorta did. :)

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    That is the way of things........the way of the force.

6. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    He probably would have died sooner (maybe during or right after Episode III), but he was keeping himself alive with the Force or sheer willpower to see Luke to his training. He only kept alive long enough after ESB to see Luke in ROTJ and have closure.

Check out AOTC. Shmi stayed alive just long enough to see her son. That doesn't even have to do with force abilities, that was all willpower. Intuition told her to hold on.

7. BellyButton

BellyButton Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    Did he die?

8. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    It was his time he had become old and sick.

Hand/hl]

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    He did what was needed and that was to train Luke. Yoda busted his whole life for the good of the galaxy, he should get a satisfying death.

10. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    I think the clue to this question comes from the first few drafts of Return of the Jedi (or is it Revenge?). In this, Yoda much like Obi-Wan knowingly turns to the Dark Side, aware that he can come back if he wishes and manifests himself as and when Luke needs it.
    For instance, I recall a scene where the Emperor attacks Luke using Lightning and a vision of Yoda blocks his attack on Luke.

I believe that although it isnt seen on screen, Yoda, just like Obi-Wan is helping Luke through the ordeal he is enduring in the Throne Room.

11. BellyButton

BellyButton Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    Food poisoning I should think

12. THX1138-4EB

THX1138-4EB Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    I guess being dropped on his head by Luke in ESB didn't help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.