main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Yoda & Obi-Wan go into hiding?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by TankCop, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TankCop

TankCop Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2005
    I know Yoda was tired and old but if he keep going he could have taken out Palpatine and ended the Empire there and then, I mean the droids by the time of the fight had all be shut down and the clones could have been taken care of in time.

So why did he wimp out and leave and force himself into exile why didn't he keep up the fight. Same goes for Obi-Wan after taking out Anakin?

I mean they could have helped to form a resistance sooner then to happend in the next 3 movies.

I mean 2 of the most powerful Jedi left would make a big simble to help aganst The Empire.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  2. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    They failed and they new they needed to wait for the twins to grow up. They needed to wait for the proper moment.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda: "Until time is right, disappear me must."

They failed once and miserably. Now they must wait until the will of the Force tells them it's time to return. Besides, the Sith would be waiting for them and they'd never get a good shot at Palpatine, while he has the high ground.

4. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Yoda would not be able to get anywhere near Palpatine. he had one chance of sneaking up on him , and that Failed. two Jedi cannot defeat the Empire. and all it's resources.

5. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005

Usually one retreats when they know they are losing or have a disadvantage. Yoda may have been a draw with Sidious but he left in defeat, ObiWan won, but he didnt finish the job.

6. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Everyone addresses this as though somehow Yoda and Obi Wan's foresight failed them.

Look, it takes time to do the things they aimed to do. They couldn't outright
    decapitate the Empire in one, fell swoop.

It took Palpatine 13 years to transition the Republic to an Empire. The Empire
    died with Palpatine, regardless of whatever EU remnant clung about.

It took Yoda and Obi Wan's plans 20 years to come to fruition with the ending
    of that Empire. Neither of them lived in the conventional sense to see it.

They went into hiding because they had failed, would have been exterminated on sight
    and had to look to the present and oversee the safety of the twins and look to the
    future for the redemption of the Republic. They also needed to ponder the mistakes
    of Jedi dogma and work out a way in which to pass the Jedi on.
    Yoda tells Luke in ROTJ "pass on what you have learned."

Thus, Luke is not only the hope of Anakin to turn back to the light side, the hope
    of the alliance to defeat the emperor, he is also Yoda and Ben's hope to plant
    a seed of the Jedi order which may one day bloom again.

7. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    I have to agree with all the posts I've read here. From what I can recall of the book; As their duel went on, Yoda realized he was not going to win. I thought the author described Yoda's retreat as he realized he could fight the Empire in other ways (or something of that nature). What choice did Yoda & Obi-Wan have? I don't see how they could have taken on Sidious, Vader, The Clones, The Battle Droids, etc.

8. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    The real question you should be asking is why didn't Yoda go to Bespin with Luke?

Vader would have crapped his suit. [face_mischief]

9. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    To survive. [face_plain]

10. impunity

impunity Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    A better question is why did Yoda just give up when not for a single second did it appear that Palpatine had the advantage during the course of their duel? When the force lightning explosion knocks BOTH off the pod, Sidious is left clinging for dear life, and Yoda bounces down to the base of the Senate floor with ease and then runs off for no apparant reason. If I've been fighting someone I genuinely wanted to beat, and had allready proven that I could injure/hang with them, I'm not just going to hightail it out of there when their dangling from a Senate Pod, barely even able to hold on.

11. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I thought that Palpatine did have the advantage until the very end. Before that, Palps was tossing pods as Yoda was jumping around hanging on for dear life, barely able to ignite his saber.

It's not like Yoda just feel down a flight of stairs.

12. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    I think they trimmed out the shots of the clonetroopers rushing into the area forcing Yoda to decide to leave, since he was weaponless and outnumbered.

13. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    "Failed I have" says Yoda, and he know it. He knows that it would be futile to try to get back up there and beat down palpatine.

14. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    If they didn't go into hiding they would have been hunted and probably killed by the Empire.

15. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    They needed to regain there balance. Especially after the crippling blow that Darth Sidious dealt them. They would have been no match for Sidious with everyone against them and already pointing the finger at them. They did more less what the sith did: they layed low, gather strengh, and then made there move.

16. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Plus, Yoda just took a huge fall, and was without saber and really in no position to force jump back up on the pods to fight Sidious. In the novel, he realizes it's a battle he can't win, and in fact, he lost before he even started. Yoda has the wisdom to run and fight another day. And the day of the Jedi does come again.

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    They knew that they neither of them could defeat The Emporer, or Anakin, because Anakin needed to destroy The Emporer for the prophecy to come true.

Besides, two Jedi against the entire Empire?No matter what they would be doomed if they revealed themselves.

They just had to have patience and let the force do its will.

18. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, you're half right at least. I think that the Yoda and Obi-Wan were highly skeptical that the prophecy had been correctly interpreted or that Anakin was really the chosen one.
    There's tons of dialogue to back this up. Misread the prophecy may be. All that stuff about how Luke has to kill his father. "Then the Emperor has already won." Plus the fact that he went to the dark side probably gave them some doubts about Anakin/Vader being the chosen one.
    But, you're right, they knew they couldn't take on the whole Empire.

19. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    yup. it was time for the jedi to hide and lie in wait

20. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    The entire jedi order couldn't do anything with Sids, and you think the 2 of them left should have gone after him? He now had an entire clone army at his disposal that Yoda just barely got away from after their fight. They listened to what the force told them to do. If they went after the sith and failed, there wouldn't have been any outs.

21. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    If they didn't hide and lie low they would have been hunted and probably killed by the Empire.

22. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yep, this thread's pretty much wrapped up.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda knows that he cannot beat Palpatine. He's too strong and the Force is with him too much. Yoda's only hope was to escape and go into exile. And no, the Stormtroopers didn't enter the Senate until after the fight was over. Not before hand. After Yoda ran off, Palpatine activated a comlink and called for a red alert to find the rogue Jedi Master.

24. Iter

Iter Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2005
    Yoda could not go with Luke to Bespin, because there was a chance that Luke could turn to the darkside and Yoda would have to deal with more than he could handle. Plus, he was the last living Jedi Master, and had Luke perished, he would have to start anew... Remember: 'That boy is our last hope..' 'No, there is another..'..

But here's a question: Why did the two Jedi wait so long to begin training Luke and/or Leia? Why neglect Jedi tradition and allow them to age so much... Anakin went against this tradition, and look how he turned out? Why would they risk their only 'hope(s)' so much? Of course, at first it might've been necessary for the two to lie in wait, to make sure the twins did not get caught if they were, but why were they not taken into the Jedi's custodies for training at a much earlier age?

My possible answers? They realized that perhaps the Jedi Order was wrong in taking infants to be trained, wrong in denying individuals any real choice in accepting the Jedi way. Another, perhaps easier answer? They relied on the Force, relied on the twins to come to them--which Luke did, 20 years later. But is it that simple?

25. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Also, remember that the Emperor was able to sense Luke's presence very quickly in ESB, even though he only had minor training at that point.

Had they been trained from birth, they would have been sensed and hunted down as children, with no way to defend themselves against the sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.