main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why did Yoda wait so long to come to Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PadawanGussin, Dec 16, 2017.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    It seems to me that a great deal of Luke's internal conflict and its effect on the galaxy could have been avoided if Yoda had returned to mentor Luke years earlier.

Why did he wait so long...?

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, I've read it theorized that, since Luke cut himself off from the Force, that Yoda tried to contact him but couldn't. It was only when Luke finally restored his connection, and had reached rock bottom, that he was finally ready to listen to what Yoda wanted to tell him.

3. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    Yoda was waiting for EP VIII to be made. He wanted more screen time.

But seriously, my guess is that Yoda foresaw the arrival of Rey. He may have agreed with Luke that Kylo was a lost cause and probably felt that there was nothing that he(Yoda) could accomplish by showing up sooner.

4. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Luke cut himself off from the force. That simple.

5. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Why does Luke's connection to the force affect Yoda's ability to materialise?
    Especially on a planet that is rich in the Force?

!

Harbour likes this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that should be plain enough.

7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Yoda could materialize all he wanted but Luke wouldn't see him because Luke cut himself off from the Force. You can't see a page on the internet if you are disconnected from the internet.

8. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017

Can Force ghosts appear to anyone? or does that person need to be strong in the Force to perceive a Force ghost?

All living things contain some Force energy so I suspect that a Force ghost would be powerful enough to appear to whomever they choose.

9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    force ghosts materializing is separate from a persons ability to perceive them. people won't see things they don't want to see.

this isn't that different from the idea that god is always there if one takes the invitation. if one can't see it, won't see it, doesn't believe it, or doesn't want it, the invitation cannot be forced upon them. it simply waits until they are ready to receive it.

Ricardo Funes and thejeditraitor like this.
  10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Because he was waiting for Rey to come to Luke first.

Krueger likes this.
  11. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I onlybsaw movie once so dont remember 100% what Yoda said...but didnt he say something to luke that instead of looking at what rey could become to just focus on training her right today? Focus on the now?

If so i think it would of been nice if Yoda said something like "if we didnt focus on your fathers future and made sure we treated him right in the moment then he may have possibly not have turned" something like that (with better wording) may have been a nice touch to the pt and also show that Yoda is talking from experience. Maybe the galaxy would of been a lot better off if the Jedi treated Anakin with pure love and treated nice

12. MingLives

MingLives Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    The way I saw it he was "giving the last rites" because Luke was going to die soon regardless of what happened next.

I know that a lot of people say that "Luke died from the effort of the Force projection" or something but I hate that idea so I'll stick to my interpretation.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As stated Luke cut himself off from the Force so no Force ghosts could appear to him. They might be around him but he could not see them.

As we saw in ROTJ the trio were standing there but only Luke saw them but they also existed there after Luke turned away but again no one can see them.

Once he opened back to the Force then soon after Yoda appeared.

But again he was cut off from the Force for years so going back into it was going to be a strain when doing the projection.

Presumably if Luke had tried this before his exile then it would not have killed him and he could have survived the strain.

Alternately with your theory the point would be that it's both. Cutting himself off was effectively killing him but reopening sped the process up.

In essence the Force projection is Luke making himself into a Force ghost while he is still alive albeit one that everyone can see, interact with and look totally real.

14. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Luke was a Jedi Master and needed no further instruction. Until he did.
    It was then that Yoda appeared to him with his final lesson.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yoda became Qui-Gon's student so there is always more to learn.

If you think you know it all then things go bad.

See Yoda in the prequels.

Krueger, wobbits and Ricardo Funes like this.
  16. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Powerful teachings by Yoda. I love him.

Being a true master means teaching about the failures too. Luke's mind was still focused on the future instead of on now.

Luke cut himself from the Force, therefore he could not contact with Force ghosts. As soon as he reopened the channel to the Force, Yoda appeared.

Now, the Force project Luke did was something of a new whole magnitude. He did what Force Ghosts do, but while still alive and allowing himself to be seen to everybody.

He was exhausted from the Force projection, but it did not kill him. He still managed to raise and sit on the stone another time, and spent a few moments in peace contemplating the twin suns, making himself one with the Force.

Now, poor Kylo. Luke will mess with his mind big time. Luke warned Kylo, if he struck him, then Luke would never leave his mind.

I expect that in EP IX Luke will haunt Kylo's mind during the whole time. Kylo is not getting any sleep for a while.

Kenneth Morgan and Buddha Fett like this.
  17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i think the explanation about rey not being there yet works too in the sense that until kylo's light side counterpart showed up, it wasn't time for luke to do anything.

18. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Exactly how does one go about "cutting off" from The Force?

Not using The Force, not mediating about/with it, not communing with Force Spirits...those things one can do, but entirely cutting oneself off from The Force? An all powerful force of energy that exists in and between all living things in the galaxy?

I took the "cut off from The Force" bit in the film to simply mean that Luke just became a secluded hermit, and no longer wanted to involve himself with The Force, or with galactic events. I think the original poster's question is a very valid one, but I think it's just a matter of Yoda choosing the time to appear to provide Luke with a final piece of knowledge. Up until that point, perhaps it wasn't really necessary for Yoda to project himself; perhaps spirit Yoda figured Luke would eventually destroy his roadblocks and move on, but it is only when Luke reached a "point-of-no-return" that Yoda makes an apparition.

19. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Yoda is now a force being. He may have hit Luke in the head with a peebles from the time but he continued to ignore and cut himself off from the force. How would one removed from the force go about seeing a force being. Being cut off isn't the same thing as not being sensitive, not being aware of the force, or even not believing in such.

One does not have to believe what they see but that is significantly different than not having eyes at all.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Because it was in the script :p

MeBeJedi likes this.
  21. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I actually think there is something to be said for Force Ghosts being able to force others to see them. Yoda destroyed the force tree. That means he can physically influence our reality, despite being dead. I think he was simply respecting Luke's wish to be left alone. When Luke went to burn the tree, he did so because he felt that Rey was going to die, and that he had failed as a teacher again. He was angry and in a moment of despair, he decided to destroy everything. Yoda stepped in and did it for him, to show that everything has a season and that there's never any reason to give up. Because Yoda is a bro.

22. Ian passman

Mar 16, 2013
    multipost very sorry.

23. Ian passman

Mar 16, 2013
    multipost, very sorry.

24. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    wasnt yoda one of the voices rey heard in the force dream she had in 7, maybe that re awoke yoda and he tried to contact luke, but as rey pointed out in 8 she sensed luke cut himself off from the force completely, which is also why he didnt feel han die in 7

25. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Because Luke closed himself off from the Force.

When he does finally reappear he schools Luke in true TESB style, which was pretty funny to watch. Seeing him cackle and kick his feet while he torched that tree was hilarious.