main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did you buy .....that figure?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Aiki-Jedimaster, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiki-Jedimaster

Aiki-Jedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2003
    What I do mean is what criteria do you use to buy a new figure? Strickly speaking 3 3/4" figs, what makes you buy a certain new figure. Is it the character? Does it complete a certain scene? Do you need to have every figure out there? etc. what is your personal reason?

2. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    beacuse I Wants it!

mainly i want them all, and everything else. Trying to be a completist I try to get evrything.

3. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I used to buy everything. Now I just focus on characters I like. I don't need 100 Obi-Wans that all look the same.

4. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I get fig's for many reasons. Here are a few:

a figure that looks the most like the character
    the sculpting is very good
    a character that I particularly like
    a figure of a character that I don't have already
    a figure that I could use in a diorama

5. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I'll get it if it looks good and if it's one I want.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Fetts are the focus of my collection. So of course I will buy any new Fett figure (unless it is one of the horrible Jango repacks. There was one AOTC version of him I just couldn't stand). After that I will buy figures that I like. I have some clones, red and blue Senate guards, bounty hunters, and even a Jedi or two.

7. Wolf3118

Wolf3118 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2003
    If it's Star Wars, then it finds some way onto the shelf, somehow. When it comes to figures, I used to buy what I thought looked cool, but when a series ended, there were too many "cool" figures that I had wished I'd gotten. Now I try my best to be a completest, when it comes to basics.

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If it's Yoda, or somehow related to Yoda (the first figure I saw with the little Yoda hologram, or any Dagobah figure, etc), then I will buy it.

9. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    The big focus of my collection has always been Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker. So, I try to buy certain figures from them if I get around to it. However, I've missed a lot of them so I would have to say that I try to just collect all the waves that come out this year. I'm still missing the Hoth Wave, considering no one around my area has stocked barely anything from it. <.<'

10. SithAboveAll

SithAboveAll Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    thats me too, pretty much. since i'm pretty new to collecting figures, i dont have the problem of owning a bunch of repacks, so i like get the entire series. maybe after the saga line, i may go back and purchase various figures from other lines that i like, and be more choosey on newer releases. but for now, its all pretty much new stuff for me. [face_dancing]

11. DarthIvan

DarthIvan Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    Watch your grammar! Lol, I buy them for the, um, waste of money I figure out when I actually look at the figures really closely to find out I've been ripped off then look at the shredded box and find out I can't return it! That is really how I feel about most "collectibles".

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It has to be a costume or a character that I really like. I also don't buy figures that I think are ugly, that's a reason why I've skipped all of the AOTC Padmé figures.

13. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I used to attemtp to be a comepletist, but it was too much money and after I bought some of the figures I felt it was just a waste. I"ve got abunch in a box I might try to unload someday.

Now I tend to focus on Clonetroopers, because if they're repaints they atleast look distict. I really like the different loks of the troopers, Clone/Storm/ etc.

So I focus on figures of characters I like and sculpts I don't have. I by a few Fetts if I like how they're done or an Anakin if its really unique, like the burned up one. Its got to really "grab" me for me to get one nowadays.

14. Darth-Blix

Darth-Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I keep my figures in their packages. Because If I take them out then my younger sister will come waltzing into my room and she'll start playing with my action figures. and their lightsabers and Blasters will go missing.
    Today I might be Getting a Boba Fett if I can find him.
    I always wanted a Boba Fett but wheneever I have the chance he's usually sold out. :( But luckily I get my allowence today. :)
    I'm just hoping my Local TRU, Zellerz or Wal-Mart has a Boba Fett.

- Darth-Blix

15. Leo73

Leo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    I used to be a completist, so I would try to get every fig there was. But in the recent years, I narrowed my collection down to Yoda, so I would have to agree with YodaJeff. If its Yoda or Yoda-related then its added to the collection.

16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm not very picky where Luke is concerned. They could put an old chicken McNugget on a Luke card and I'd buy it.

17. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Mainly it's based on specific characters. I have lots of Solo's and Vader's. Also I tend to go for OT characters. If I find sales at toy shows or clearance items, I may widen my scope just because the price is right. Sometimes I'll just see a figure that has a nice look or sculpt and I'll go for it. It's pretty wide open from time to time what'll get me to drop my $5.

18. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I buy as much as my pocket will allow.Primarily i go for figures that I like, then i'll go for figures of characters I don't already own...but if the price is right i'll buy anything..and i MEAN anything(cough)POTF2 Leia(cough)!

19. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I usually just buy what I like... which happens to be most figures. Lately though I've been trying to only get figures I need for my dioramas. If there's something that comes out that I can use in a diorama, I buy it. I also get quality figures that really stand out... figures with superior likenesses, detail, and articulation. I typically get every Vader figure that comes out as well, since he's pretty much my favorite character.

20. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    At this point, only because of the character, and the character is actually IN one of the movies. No resculpts, no soft goods, no Hammerhead Jedi, no Bail holding the baby but wearing the outfit from an unrelated scene, etc. The one exception I make on resculpts is if the original is absolutely horrid, and the resculpt iis considerably better. R5D4 comes to mind.

21. Yoda_Jedi_Luke

Yoda_Jedi_Luke Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2003
    I try to get at least one good figure of the most well-known characters, but I also like to buy the background alien character figures purely because I love looking at them.

I also buy figures if I really want them and I have an older version, for example, I have the 1997 Kenner line Mon Mothma figure, but I will still buy the new Cantina OTC Hasbro line figure seen at the 2006 toy fair, purely because it features better articulation, better paint job and is far more detailed.

22. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Because I like the way it looks,or because I find it unigue,or because it`s a character I like or because I just like it and want to spend 4.99

23. Darth-Blix

Darth-Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    at first I only get my favorite characters.
    and from the battle of carkoon wave my favorite characters are Han solo and Boba Fett.
    and I got han solo and boba fett from the saga collection 2006 wave I Battle of carkoon for that one particular reason.
    I also got Barada the skiff Guard because he's cool and I like his blaster.

Darth-Blix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.