main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didin't the DS 2 jump into hyperspace as soon as the sheild was destroyed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Drev_Torran, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drev_Torran

Drev_Torran Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2005
    Why not?

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    The construction wasn't finished. It could have ended up loosing structural integrity. And, Lucas didn't write it that way :)

By the way, check your PM's

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    They bought the hyperdrive from the Millennium Falcon....

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

4. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    It was too close to Endor.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

5. Darth_Virgo_97

Darth_Virgo_97 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    Interesting question, I just figured the weapons system was operational but not the propulsion or hyperdrive system. Plus, the fact that it wasn't even completed and I would agree with the previous post of it losing structural integrity and simply falling apart. Besides, the Empire was waiting to crush the Rebellion and probably would've stayed at all costs to do just that.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Besides not being completed, the DS2 was too close to the gravitational pull of the moon, so it would've been impossible for it to jump. Should it of been able to jump, going from 'MPH' to whatever lightspeed MPH is, is very much not good.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You'd figure that most ships had a mechanism to keep their structural integrity intact during that short of extreme acceleration required to get them beyond the speed of light in a matter of seconds. An incomplete space station might have broken apart or sustained severe structural damage in the process.

...it also couldn't have run out of the planet's gravity well fast enough. Rebel fighters are faster than a big fun ball of doom. ;)

8. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    I thought it was called the Sphere of Fear. :p

9. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    That was the best trailer ever!

"Is it a booby"

10. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Why didn't the DS2 have it's sheild generator built in? I was thinking that the sheild would protect the unfinished DS2 if it had to go into hyperspace, but some genius put the sheild generator on Endor? Weird, no?

11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Because then it wouldn't have been destroyed ^_^

1.They were most likely waiting command from the Empire,who was a little too busy watching Vader and Luke duel.

2.It was still in construction and some things were not fully operational yet,and the quick jump to hyperspace could have damaged it.

3.It takes time to jump to hyperspace,and preperation. All those times Han has said ''prepare the ship to jump to light speed'' he wasn't just making conversation.

12. bluebottle

bluebottle Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2005
    I didn't know the Death Star even had a hyperdrive... In ANH you never see it in hyperdrive, do you? correct me if i'm wrong. Actually, that's something that's always bothered me, when DS1 approaches Alderan (and then Yavin) it's just kind of.... moving through space, with no propulsion. How do the DS'S move? Every other kind of ship has exhaust vents...

Anyway, i would assume it would take an awful long time to get the DS ready to jump... So, assuming that during the attack someone said, "oh man, let's go into hyperspace! start the launch codes (or whatever)" i imagine those calculations would take a few hours.

Remember, it's not like dusting crops.

13. Darth-Adroit

Darth-Adroit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    ?I thought it was called the Sphere of Fear.?

I think Deathticle was the final name.

14. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    Why didn't the DS2 have it's sheild generator built in? I was thinking that the sheild would protect the unfinished DS2 if it had to go into hyperspace, but some genius put the sheild generator on Endor? Weird, no?

Not really. Eventually, they would certainly have installed onboard shields, probably before it was capable of hyperspace travel. But while it was under construction, and incapable of such a journey, there was no need.

It may not have been feasible, either. The shield generator would probably have to be near the surface, and until it was near completion, there'd be no effective way to project a shield that could protect the entire ship. Also, traditional ship shields seem to hug pretty close to the surface, and with constant construction work being performed, it would be a real pain to fire your laser welder into a shield and get blasted back into space. By projecting it from the forest moon, it allows for much more effective and safe protection, while still allowing construction to continue with ease.

Actually, that's something that's always bothered me, when DS1 approaches Alderan (and then Yavin) it's just kind of.... moving through space, with no propulsion. How do the DS'S move? Every other kind of ship has exhaust vents...

We never saw the back of the Death Star.

15. VadersVacuumSeal

VadersVacuumSeal Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2004
    There were too many 05ers' asking questions like this and it sucked away the D2's power.

16. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    If it takes a ship the size of the Falcon a couple of minutes to calculate a jump to hyperspace, I would imagine that for an object of the size of a small moon would take hours to calculate a safe path through hyperspace.

17. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Why would they let the DS2 run off when the end of the rebels, in there mind, is so near?
    Its like asking "Why didn't Tarkin leave the DS1"

18. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    "I've been working on this a long time..." *tap, tap* :D Greatest. Parody. Ever.

There are a number of possible reasons, as listed in this thread, but I think we can agree on a few hypotheticals:

1 - The station isn't finished. Outside of the lack of structural integrity and damage to the system if it were to be put under such stress, it may not even have hyperdrive functions yet.

2 - Hyperdrive requires a clear trajectory, as stated by Han in ANH. Can you imagine the damage even something as small as an X-Wing could do if the ship rammed into it at the momentum lightspeed would carry? The Death Star was completely surrounded by the Rebel and Imperial fleets, as well as the time it would take for the ship to find a path large enough for the Death Star to go through without running through a star or planet.

3 - The gravitational pull of a moon as large as Endor would have a strong impact on the Death Star's ability to move around. They would have had to have first pulled out of the orbit of the planet, then go into hyperspace, something that would have taken alot of time and manuevering...and may not have even been possible. Just because the weapons systems are up doesn't mean the engines are.

4 - The general chaos and calamity caused by the sheer frenzy of battle, the destruction of the shield, and loss of some of the prime leaders on the Imperial side may have contributed to an air of panic that led to strategic blunders on the Imperial side. (Losing the Super Star Destroyer would have been a huge blow no matter how you looked at it, and both the emperor and Vader were, er, occupied.)

19. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Actually, that's something that's always bothered me, when DS1 approaches Alderan (and then Yavin) it's just kind of.... moving through space, with no propulsion. How do the DS'S move? Every other kind of ship has exhaust vents...

The hyperdrive motivators are around the axis of the DS on one side, or the "back". The DS uses Ion propulsion systems, just like all the Imperial ships. The vents are in the same place as the hyperdrive.

As far as the DSII going into hyperspace, did it even have the hyperdrive installed yet?

20. BATTLELION

BATTLELION Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Palpatine was too busy shooting lightning into Luke to know the little "SHIELD IS DOWN INDICATOR" red light on his throne was flashing like mad.

21. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    As far as the DSII going into hyperspace, did it even have the hyperdrive installed yet?

It was going to be installed Tuesday.

22. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I assumed the DS and DS II were too big for hyperdrives. That was always my explanation.

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, the DS1 did have a hyperdrive. Hence how it could get to Yavin from Alderaan not too far behind the Falcon. ;)

24. CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2003
    It was going to be installed Tuesday.

Only problem is that the guy in charge of it was too busy moaning, "I'm not even supposed to BE HERE!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.