main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why didn't Anakin/Vader's body dissapear when he died in ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FORCE_SKIN, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FORCE_SKIN

FORCE_SKIN Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2003
    This has probably been discussed a jillion times (apologies if so) but if Anakin became a ghost, why didn't his body dissapear???

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    His body did disappear. Just not on-screen.

3. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    "He's more machine now than man. Twisted and Evil."

4. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    What he said... all that was left was the armor...

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There was still a lot of flesh left in him. The head and torso, for example. They disappeared, leaving the empty armor behind.

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Bib's right. Maybe in ROTJUE on DVD, Lucas will show us it.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Nah. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    It may have disappeared in the suit. The suit was not his body, physically at least.

9. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Yes, I know that people will say that the OS now claims Anakin's body dematerialized off-camera. Until Lucas says it, I'm not buying it.

I don't see why Luke would bother to cremate an empty suit of armor. For me, the sentiment of the funeral scene is a lot less meaningful if he's only torching an empty suit.

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    According to Pablo's Q&A on Hyperspace, Anakin disappearing does come from Lucas, and he specifically requested that it be stated expicitly in the databank.

11. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    As love_slave said, that knocks the funeral pyre scene down a notch.

I've always figured that dissapearing and becoming one with the force required some form of preparation which Yoda and Obi-Wan managed, but Anakin and Qui-Gon failed to.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Actually, I think it puts the funeral scene up a notch. It shows that Luke was erasing the last bits of Vader from the universe, leaving Anakin's spirit free.

13. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    So what once appeared to be Luke, taking the final steps in helping his father pass to the 'afterlife' because he wasn't able to do it himself (as Ben and Yoda had)...

...now Anakin has no trouble 'disappearing' and Luke is simply burning Vader's old clothes (so, as you say, the last bits of Vader will be "erased".)

I'm disappointed...if this is true.

Edit: It occurs to me that there wasn't much point in dragging an 'empty suit' onto a shuttle, flying it to the Endor moon, and building a funeral pyre to burn it when he could have left the 'empty suit' on the Death Star where it would have been obliterated anyway. :confused:

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Maybe Vader disappeared while Luke was on the shuttle. He could have dragged the body and armor aboard, but it disappeared while he was escaping.

15. GrandMasterJay

GrandMasterJay Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2003
    Getting back to the funerl pyre scene. Now that there are two of them in the Saga, I just had to wonder, wouldn't the burning bodies stink horribly?

Not to come off as a sicko or anything, but isn't that why mortuaries have closed in furnances?

Just pointing out the obvious thats all. :)

16. bombadjedi

bombadjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2004
    Here's my 2 cents

If he spend most of his life being pure evil.
    I very much doubt one good deed could redeem him...

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    In the eyes of Luke and the Force, it did, but not in the eyes of the galaxy as a whole.

18. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Well not to get too off topic or into a religious dicussion but in the Christian religion, even monsters like Hitler could get into heaven if they repented and asked Christ to forgive all thier sins and to ask Christ to remember them when they die. If they really mean it of course.
    Lucas likes to use a lot of different aspects of different religions in his movies, so Anakin could have been saved.

19. Jedi_Master_Syn

Jedi_Master_Syn Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    One reason why Anakin did not disappear at the death star is because possibly the armor suit could have been keeping part of him alive...therefore he was not able to disappear. His body could be dragged onto the shuttle.

Later on, before preparing the bonfire, Luke could have "pulled the plug".

20. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    It's all the camera's fault, it cut away too soon.

Why take the suit of armor back to Endor? Maybe because Luke wanted to make sure the armor was destroyed himself, to see the evil part of his father die?

21. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    You say the suit was the "evil part" of his father? :confused:

I think the suit was the thing that kept him alive, not the thing that made him evil.

Why do you need a big funeral pyre to dispose of a suit? Couldn't he build a campfire if he was just burning a suit?

It looked like a FUNERAL pyre to me.

A funeral pyre for...A SUIT?! :confused:

I think the audience is supposed to make a connection between Qui-Gon's traditional Jedi funeral, and Anakin's funeral.

I think Anakin's BODY is being disposed of in the traditional way of the Jedi.

22. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    vader: i'm not dead yet, my body didn't disappear.
    luke: shut up, of course you are.
    vader: i want to go for a walk.
    luke: really, you'll be dead any minute.
    vader: i feel happpyyyy...i feel happpyyyyy...

luke throws vader on the fire and his body disappears.

seriously though, i think it has something to do with willingly giving up you life. obi wan lifted his saber and allowed vader to kill him. yoda was on his death bed and was prepared for it. qui-gonn and vader were both killed when they weren't ready. hopefully it will all be explained in episode 3.

23. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Supposedly it will be explained in Ep.III.

If Vader did disapear, it could have taken some time. GL has said that Qui-Gon did disapear, but it was during the flames. If true, then Qui-gon's body stuck around for quite a while, I guess Vaders could too.

Yes, burning bodies smell horrible. I imagine it's even worse in TMP when they burn Qui-gon in that small, cramped room!

24. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    yoda probably masked the stench with the force.

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    GL has said that Qui-Gon did disapear, but it was during the flames.

Lucas did? I thought he specifically pointed out in the past that Qui-Gon didn't disappear, and that the whole 'Jedi Ghost' thing really wasn't a typical Jedi thing until (supposedly) Yoda and Obi-Wan discover how to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.