main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't anyone think Obi Wan was the Chosen One?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JMaster Luke, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    So in episode 3 Obi wan says to anakin

Obi "you were the chosen one. you were suppose to destroy the sith not join with them.

Now in Episode 1 the sith appear for the first time, and who ends up killing one of the Sith?
    Obi Wan. Yeah he might not have the most midichlorians but he was able to destroy one Sith.

And at that point they didn't know if maul was the master or the apprentice

Mace "Yes but who was destroyed, the master or the apprentice"

From their point of view if obi wan just killed the master (maul) wouldn't he be able to kill the apprentice of maul? (which he'd be younger and less skilled then Maul.)

but I'm just wondering why they never thought Obi might of been the Chosen one since he's the only Jedi alive to have killed a Sith.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The chosen one was supposed to be fathered by the force. Obi had a father and mother, just never knew them like all the Jedi of the era.

3. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Obi Wan defeated two Sith. Anakin destroed two sith ass well. Plus, he killed the source so, It leans in favor of Anakin.

4. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Obi Wan defeated two Sith. Anakin destroed two sith ass well. Plus, he killed the source so, It leans in favor of Anakin.

But that wasnt the point.

5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    rumsmuggler is correct, Obi Wan had parents so there was no way the Jedi Order would even think for a second that he is the chosen one.

6. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    How do we know that the Chosen One had to be created by the force? All we know is

Mace "You refer to the prophecy of the one that would bring balance to the force?"

Obi "You were the chosen one, you were suppose to destroy the sith"

So the chosen one is someone that would bring balance to the force, and the way to do this is by destroying the Sith. IF part of the prophesy was that the one would be created through the force then wouldn't the Jedi Council except Anakin right away as the chosen one?

From what it looks like in AOTC and ROTS the Jedi still dont believe Anakin is the chosen one (even though he was created through the force)

I wonder though, wouldn't the fact that anakin killed Dooku (who is a sith) who obi wan, and Yoda couldn't kill (which given more time yoda i'm sure would) have delighted the Jedi? Seeing as how Anakin (chosen one) is suppose to destroy the Sith and bring balance.

I wonder why after he killed Dooku, Mace still didn't let anakin come with him to confront the Emperor.

After all if the Chosen means bring balance to the force by destroying the Sith then that means ONLy anakin would of been able to destroy 'the sith they were looking for'. The Master sith, the head sith.

So it wouldn't of mattered if you had 100 Jedi vs the Emperor. He wouldn't of died, since the Chosen one is suppose to kill him. I guess deep down either Mace doesn't believe Anakin is the CHosen one, or he doesn't believe in the prophecy at all. Cuz if he did, he should of known he wouldn't be the one to kill the sith and bring balance.

7. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005

How do we know that the Chosen One had to be created by the force? All we know is

Mace "You refer to the prophecy of the one that would bring balance to the force?"

Obi "You were the chosen one, you were suppose to destroy the sith"

No, we also know that,

QUI-GON : With your permission, my Master. I have encountered a vergence in
    the Force.
    YODA : A vergence, you say?
    MACE WINDU : Located around a person?
    QUI-GON : A boy... with cells of the highest concentration of
    midi-chlorians I have seen in a life form. It is possible he was conceived
    by the midi-chlorians.
    MACE WINDU : You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring
    balance to the Force...you believe it's this boy??
    QUI-GON : I don't pressume...
    YODA : But you do! Revealed your opinion is.
    QUI-GON : I request the boy be tested.

Obviously the prophecy has to do with either A, being concievied by the force, or B having an extremly high Midi-chlorian count. Probably both.
    We don't know the prophecy itself but we do know this much.

8. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005

I understand but this thread serves no point. We all know Anakin was the Chosen One. He fufilled the prophecy set before him. Period.

9. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    "Obi "you were the chosen one. you were suppose to destroy the sith not join with them.
    Now in Episode 1 the sith appear for the first time, and who ends up killing one of the Sith?
    Obi Wan. Yeah he might not have the most midichlorians but he was able to destroy one Sith."

Just because Obi killed a sith- dosen't make him the Chosen One, and no he wasn't the only Jedi to have killed a sith, he might of been the only one at that point, but that is because the sith have been in hiding for a millenia.
    And Obi wasn't concieved by the Force like Ani, and he dosen't have vissions of the future.

Just because you are strong in the Force dosen't mean you are the Chosen One. Look at Yoda if they would of think Obi was the Chosen One, Yoda would of been more likely to of been the Chosen One.

Good Stuff

10. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    The prophecy went something like this: That the dark side would rise and that the Chosen One would be born of the Force and bring balance.

Obi-Wan, even though he's my favourite character and one of the best Jedi of all time (aside from Mace and Yoda), is not the Chosen One.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The term "vergence" always made me laugh:

4 entries found for vergence.

1. A measure of the convergence or divergence of a pair of light rays, defined as the reciprocal of the distance between a point of reference and the point at which the rays intersect.
    2. The inward or outward turning of one or both eyes that occurs when focusing on an object.

The nearest I can explain is that Anakin was some sort of focal point in the Force.

The Jedi were shocked at how strong Anakin was in the Force, and how developed his skills were without any training.

12. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    JMluke, you make some really good points. Keep in mind though, its very interesting to see how the prophecy itself, AND the jedi's view of the prophecy changes from ep1 to ep 3.

For instance, in ep 3 the prophecy basically changes from bringing balance to the force to 'destroying the sith'. Obviously the jedi have started to see the prophecy through their own view, distorting its original meaning to suit their own agenda. And yoda clearly says the prophecy may have been misread.

Personally I tend to think yoda's view is right; had there been no anakin sidious may very well have died at the hands of windu, though its still debatable. (While windu clearly managed ot sdisarm sidious in a lightsaber duel, its arguable whether sidious could have finished windu off with lightning. Perhaps he only turned it off because anakin was there? Or perhaps he really was tired? I prefer to think the former)

13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    There are two things needed to be the Chosen One:

1. Fathered by the Force
    2. Destroy the Sith

Obi-Wan had a mother and father. Obi-Wan killed one Sith Lord, while Anakin killed three.

Obi-Wan: killed Maul
    Anakin: killed Tyranus, Vader and Sidious

That is the short answer, I don't see why this thread is still going.

14. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Probably because its a very good question, especially when taken along with Yoda's musings in ep 3, and how the jedi have changed the prophecy around to suit their own needs.

I don't see why people who don't like threads post in them, especially when not only do their posts add absolutely nothing, it is obvious they have not bothered to read all threads prior to posting.

15. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000

Ok so if more then killing the Sith is needed to be the chosen one (meaning you need to be created by the force itself) then why does Mace resist taking Anakin with him?

If the Chosen One means

1) Created through the force
    2) Destroy the Sith (which would bring balance to the force) Which before Mace went to confront the Emperor he knows that Anakin already killed 1 out of the 2 Sith (Dooku)

So WHY would he not take anakin?

Mace should know that it doesn't matter how hard he fights or how many Jedi he brings with him, there is NO way he will kill the Emperor. The Chosen one will destroy the Sith. That doesn't mean that the Emperor is way stronger then Mace.

But a prophecy is something that will happen. So if the Jedi know the Chosen one destroys the Sith then they should send the chosen one after the sith (which he did well againts dooku)

New question though. If the Jedi believe that one day a chosen one would come and he would bring balance to the force (which means destroy the Sith) then dont they think that this chosen one or this prophecy has already taken place?

Ki Adi Mundi "the sith have been destroy (did he say destroyed? He said something) for over a millinium"

So from the Jedi point of view they think the force is in Balance in TPM because they think there are no more Sith. I'm guessing thats why Mace is so shocked

Mace: "you refer to the prophecy of the one that will bring balance to the force?" With a shocked look on his face cuz he might be thinking (why would we need the chosen one if there are no sith?)

Maybe....just thinking out loud.

16. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Mace doesn't trust Anakin, and it seems that he doesn't believe in the prophecy.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Interesting theory.

I think the Jedi knew, or at least suspected the Sith were still in hiding somewhere.

They can apparently sense that the Dark Side is growing in the galaxy.

I think there's 2 interesting points about the Jedi and the Prophecy, in response to your post:

(1) I think the Jedi are kind of paralyzed by the Prophecy and the Chosen One; it's almost like they're fatalistic about the Chosen One solving all the problems, and not the Jedi. They have no idea how to find the Sith or fight the Sith.

(2) What's interesting in ROTS is that, Yoda and Mace at least, seem to think that maybe Anakin ISN'T the Chosen One after all, because things are going from bad to worse, and Anakin seems to be having dark side leanings.

The Jedi would likely assume that the Chosen One would basically be some kind of incorruptible super-Jedi like Superman, who would simply crush the Sith. Since Anakin seems to be wavering between the Light and Dark sides, they start thinking he isn't the Chosen One.

To paraphrase Tolkien, the thought of Anakin turning to the Dark Side but still being the Chosen One had not entered their darkest dreams.

They are assuming many things, and that is one reason for their fall.

(3) Which helps justify Mace's actions to a certain extent. He was right, Anakin WAS confused, and had loyalties to Palpatine and to the Jedi. If Mace no longer thought Anakin was the Chosen One, it was probably better to keep him at the Temple. Maybe Mace didn't want Anakin to see what happened to the Chancellor.

Maybe Mace underestimated just how dangerous Palpatine was.

18. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    Which makes me believe maybe that the prophecy doesn't say that the chosen one would be created through the force. Cuz if it does, then how can the Jedi not believe anakin is the chosen one? Weather Anakin turns bad or not.....if you are created through the force means your the chosen one then it doesn't matter what the Jedi do, Anakin will bring balance.

But if it doesn't say that, then that brings me to my first question.

In TPM the Jedi know the Sith have returned. And Obi Wan winds up killing one of the Sith. Wouldn't they be excited that maybe Obi is the chosen one? Does the chosen one have to be the strongest in the force?

After all Vader didn't kill the Emperor because he was stronger....he killed the emperor because the emperor didn't expect Vader to betray him and through him over the shaft. It doesn't take the strongest force user ever to do that.

So if the prophecy is pretty vague I wonder why they dont considered obi to be the one.

Which i wonder who came up with the prophecy anyways. I thought "the future is always in motion" So which Jedi prophecied this, and how did he even know? (which i'm guessing the force told him that there'd be a chosen one, one day that would bring balance) I'm guessing this prophecy was started after the sith were destroy 1,000 years before TPM.

Because if the prophecy was around before then, wouldn't the Jedi think the prophecy was fullfilled since from their POV there were no more Sith? (minus of course there wasn't a chosen one)

19. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001

Well, keep in mind Qui-Gon told them about the sith lord (maul) BEFORE launcing into the chosen one spiegl. ALso, perhaps thejedi thought the chosen one would destroy what was left of the sith.

More than that, the prophecy was NEVER about 'destroying the sith'. That only came into play in ep 3. In ep 1, the prophecy was only about 'bringing balance to the force.'

The deciding factor, in ep 1 anyway, was anakins midiclorin count. I think george meant to expand on this a lot more in aotc, but due to fan screams he left out the concept of midi's altogather.

This is probably the reason the prophecy was changed. And ofcourse, as I mentioned before, the jedi began to see the prophecy through their own distorted view.

As the poster a few posts above mentioned, the jedi do appear to be idiots in a lot of cases. I mean, forget everything else, did the fact that anakin wore black robes WHILE he was a jedi (in between ep 2 and 3, and in ep 3) not send warning signals to them?

20. darthramzafft1

darthramzafft1 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    Now, my big hold up is that the Chosen One is supposed to bring "balance" to the force.
    So it would seem that, by killing the Jedi to just (seemingly) two members, Anakin did indeed balance it. That's my two cents. Also, there's no way it could have been Obi-Wan, since he wasn't born of the midichlorians. Which is, indeed, part of the prophecy, specifically reffered to in TPM.

21. DARTH_DONALD

DARTH_DONALD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    darthramzaft i got to agree with youon the point bout balance. how could the sith being destroyed bring balance? surely for there to be balanace both the light AND the dark must exist???:confused:

22. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    Bringing balance doesn't mean reducing the Jedi to two of them. Its out of balance because there are sith

Yoda "The dark side of the force clouds everything" (something like that)

Mace "i'm afraid our ability to use the force has dissolved" (or something like that)

and other lines. So we see the Jedi can't use the force to its fullest because the Dark side brings it out of balance. So to bring the force back into balance you have to remove the Sith.

IF it was to have the same amount of Jedi as there are Sith (Emperor/Vader and Yoda/Ben) then the force would be out of balance at the end of ROTJ because there is One Jedi and no Sith.

23. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    There are tons of quotes by Lucas on this one but I'm too lazy to look them up.
    They never think Obi-wan is the chosen one because he doesn't fit the criteria. Hopefully D-S will come in here.

24. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    If the prophecy says the chosen one would be created through the force then i can understand why they wouldn't think obi wan is the chosen one, but if not, then I wounder why they wouldn't.

25. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    As the Prophecy said, but was misread by the Jedi, "The Chosen One" is the one who will bring balance to the Force, one way or another. This is done by destroying the Dark Lord of the Sith that is knocking the Force out of balance -- Darth Sidious, Which a redeemed Anakin Skywalker, not Obi-Wan Kenobi, does in ROTJ. Enough said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.