main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why didn't Darth Maul tell the Jedi who Sidious was?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Graves101, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, but it would've totally been the "Sith" thing to do [face_skull]

2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Because of the things Sable heart and Vialco had mentioned

and because after revealing Sidious' double identity it could happen that the Jedi will kill Palpatine first and then their next target would be surely Maul. And if not, then the wrath of Sidous would come over Maul much earlier than he calculated. But I think Maul assumed it would come one day anyway - just when Sidious came to Mandalore. Maul played the same game as Sidious. As long as their are other bigger enemies for the republic to battle, he can stay calm and go on building a strong power base.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    As others said it's a safety precaution that keeps Maul from spilling the proverbial beans. If he can wage a war on both sides without drawing the attention of his old Master then he's safe. However if he spills the beans then either the Jedi take Sidious out and then stop him or his Master takes over the galaxy and hands Maul his butt before he, Maul, is ready to face him.

Basically Maul is trying to save his butt by keeping mum about his Master's dual identity. At least until he can take over the galaxy himself.

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I can help with that. The comic "Son of Dathomir" continued Maul's arc from TCW, was written by the show's writers, was originally intended as an arc of episodes FOR the show before the show was cancelled, and is currently considered as canon as any episode FROM the show. That's from the very top of LFL. The trade paperback should be out by now, or soon will be.

Darth_Xeres likes this.
  5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Another part of it is the fact that Maul is sitll a Sith, through and through, and full of hatred. He hates Sidious and he hates the Jedi (especially Kenobi). He wants to destroy both of them while aiding neither of them. He also wants the satisfaction of exacting revenge upon them personally; he doesn't wan to let either one have the privilege of destroying the other. It would of course be more prudent of him if he compromised a little bit and leaked information to the Jedi so they could take out Sidious, but Maul is just too greedy. He wants to have his cake and eat it too.

That's my take, anyway. I think it makes a lot of sense, though I would have loved to actually hear Maul explain it. Though of course he wouldn't describe it in such negative terms.

Starkeiller likes this.
  6. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Because he didn't have a leg to stand on...

Because he was half the man he used to be...

Other ridiculous puns about a ridiculous story. (Timely, too)...

Iron_lord, WMIRTUTSF and Starkeiller like this.
  7. Darth Mird'ika

Darth Mird'ika Jedi Padawan

Sep 11, 2013
    Maybe cuz Maul hated the Jedi and would never do anything to help them.

Marco1907 likes this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The reason Maul never told the Jedi the identity of Sidious is because the sole thinking that went into his resurrection was Lucas liking Maul's look from Old Wounds and telling Filoni & Co to bring Maul back to life.

JackG, WMIRTUTSF and spicer like this.
  9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Unfortunately this is the truth. Anything else is up to us the fans, to make up excuses just to try to make sense of it. As sad as it may sound.

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Even if Maul had told them, the Jedi still might not have listened. After all, Dooku told them the truth on Geonosis.

"What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of the Dark Lord of the Sith."

Dooku told them the exact truth, the Republic was under the control of the Sith Lord. Hundreds of Senators were under the influence of Darth Sidious, and yet the Jedi couldn't see the viper that lay in plain sight. Maul might not have been able to convince the Jedi of the truth, even if he had wanted to.

WMIRTUTSF and Starkeiller like this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

What's so sad about it? The Maul arc was actually really good.

Vialco likes this.
  12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The Maul arc was one of the better arcs from TCW, I agree. The sad thing about it however, is that it's up to the fans to try and make sense how Maul survived. The sad thing about it is that it made things more confusing and complicated with out a real good reason. Sure it might have worked better than some expected, but was it really necessary? Would Star Wars be less interesting without cyborg Maul?

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Maul surviving being cut in half isn't that hard to believe. Vader survived dismemberment and severe burns, so Maul clinging to life with only half his body isn't beyond plausibility.

Marco1907 likes this.
  14. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think Maul and Talzin were focused on their own revenge against Sidious, and didn't want to involve the Jedi. They wanted to kill and replace him - had the Jedi removed Palpatine from power, it would have diminished what they were working toward. They wanted to confront him, the Jedi would have stole their thunder.

15. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Because TCW as a storyline make little to no sense.

Havoc123 likes this.
  17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Who cares, though? There's plenty of things in the beloved movies that don't quite make sense and required fans to rationalize them. Just look at all the threads on these very boards for evidence. If it was entertaining, then everything else is secondary. It's not a fatal flaw of the storyline. It shouldn't be hard to figure out why Maul, a Sith Lord, is reluctant to have Jedi exact his revenge for him.

What is this from?

18. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    The comic Sith Hunters.

19. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'll repost what I stated in my review of the comic 'Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir' as a possible explanation on why Maul doesn't out Sidious' identity:

I think the writers also missed a very obvious chance to explain what many fans and myself have been wondering--why Maul does not out Sidious as Palpatine to the Jedi. At the end of 'The Lawless' and the beginning of 'Son of Dathomir' it seemed like, with Savage Opress dead, Maul had nothing to lose and wouldn't pull punches when it came to dealing with Sidious. And yet Maul continued to pull the obvious and most damaging punch of all by keeping the Palpatine=Sidious knowledge to himself.

It's shown in TCW's "The Disappeared" that Mace Windu is unfamiliar with Talzin, and it's implied that the Nightsisters are barely worthy of their notice (I don't recall the Jedi actively investigating them at all in TCW, but I could be wrong). It becomes apparent over the course of 'Son of Dathomir' that Maul does have something to lose, and that he is protective of Talzin, who is revealed to be his mother. A few lines by Maul stating that exposing Sidious to the Jedi would put his mother at risk (i.e. once the Jedi investigate Sidious after finding out his Palpatine identity, they would learn of Sidious' connection to Talzin and start hunting her) would go a long way to explaining why Maul doesn't put Sidious on the defensive by exposing his identity to the Jedi.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  20. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  21. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Marco1907
    Good that you mentioned the comic "Sith-Hunter". In the comic "Death-Sentence", the Jedi Salmara makes also a "very diplomatic" offer towards Maul that he may surrender and in turn the Jedi will do no harm to Maul and will guarantee him a fair trial. No words did she utter about Savage who's standing next to Maul listening to the "offer". No wonder he turned Salmara down on behalf of Maul. I guess Jedi doesn't know or care anything about a crown-witness-solution to get necessary informations. Why should Maul give such haughty and mighty people valuable information when they are just waiting to crush him and his brother? And after SoD, when the Jedi were also playing the part of Palpatine's attack-dog, there was one reason more for now-alone-Maul not to trust the Jedi.

The Jedi don't consider Talzin a threat. And they would only find out, that Talzin hates Sidious for stealing her son, whatever happened some 40 standard-years ago between the two of them has vanished since a long time and doesn't matter anymore.

The only risk for Maul would be that Palpatine would take revenge much earlier on Talzin taking her hostage for the betrayal of her son of him revealing his double identity to the Jedi. But how we learnt from SoD, he had these plans, to finally crush Talzin, anyway. So why speeding things up for Maul telling the Jedi about Sidious is Palpatine? And smart as Maul is, he knew that the threat to his mother comes from his master, not from the ignorant and unknowing Jedi.

And I see the likelyhood even when Maul would have told the Jedi, it is not clear that they would have believed him at this early time. Palpatine would just have denied that because the time was not yet right to put his plans into action and Anakin wasn't his new apprentice yet. Sidious knew very well how to hide his Sith-Lord-appearance and aura. Not even Yoda or Mace Windu were aware until Grievous was dead. Then that treason of Maul would have been totally in vain. And Maul's punishment would have come much earlier.

Also in "Revival", Palpatine seem to be a bit protective towards Maul while brushing off Kenobi and Yoda in hunting down Maul. Palpatine/Sidious says that Maul is just a personal issue for Kenobi while Maul is just playing with criminal scum and they should concentrate their efforts on Dooku. And Yoda does comply with that argumentation. Maybe Sidious was underestimating Maul and Savage this time. I guess, Sidious was delighted by the thought, Maul and Savage could annoy and threaten the Jedi a bit.

And Maul registered very well his former Master's restraint and silent consent with Maul's advance at the beginning. Another reason not to rat on him out by telling the Jedi about Palp=Sids. After discovering thei brother's real potential Sidious saw the need of action too. But then it was already to late.

Marco1907 likes this.
  22. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Belated thanks for the info, Pfluegermeister. As it happens, I already knew about Son of Dathomir, but I appreciate that you took the time to point it out to me.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The storylines are written strange and the editing doesnt help. SOD was also cut down to form a comic which am sure a lot of stuff was left cut.

Maul wanted to prove himself worthy once more and take his place by Sidious' side , along with defeating Kenobi under TCW story. Sidious felt deceived as Maul had taken an apprentice of his own and he saw that Talzin's hand was involved. After this arc, it is unknown whether Talzin directly aided in Maul's escape, as the Mandalorians say that they directly followed Sidious' ship to Stygeon. And the Disappeared occurred before this story and has no real direct connection, we just see her disappear(which is not unusual for her to do) and looking rather distraught cause her orb was destroyed. It is unknown whether Maul has been there for a few days or a week. By SOD storyline Maul goes to Zanbarr, expecting his escape was too easy, lays a trap for the invading Droid ground army and they lost a large number of ships entering the planet before they reached the base. By issue 2 he regroups with reinforcements Death Watch reserves and the other allies the Pykes and Black Sun who form the bulk of his forces as they have the ships and mercenary numbers. He then channels Talzin and askes advice. They device a plan. He spent the issues really being chased by the CIS lead by Grievous and Tyranus and Palpatine set the two Republic strike forces lead by Jedi Windu, Secura, Kenobi and that female alien. As a former Sith, he has no reason to ally with them nor wants their help, he's not out to destroy the Jedi and the Sith now which also follows The Son of Mortis. Before SOD he had no interest in destroying the Sith, he probably felt like his dark father was angry at him and left him out there by himself as punishment for being nearly killed and gone all these years. He was a raised since childhood Sith apprentice, and subjected to various tortures by his master inorder to become the Sith Lord we saw in TPM. he seemed more interested in killing Dooku, who had replaced him, and why he called him a Sith pretender and in SOD he chastises Dooku and even Sidious. SOD he's finally broken free of Sidious' control. "There is purpose for everything in the galaxy and a way to destroy it." I think by the end of SOD we were gonna see the Darth Maul of the TPM again, I liked how he just parried away Windu and Secura with ease in SOD.

24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    It all goes back to the point that bringing back Darth Maul was an extremely bad idea. He was meant to be a mook for Episode 1. I dare say he should've become the Grievous later on, like revealed in Episode II or something instead of being killed off. So you could have Dooku as the Emperor equivalent and Maul as the Vader. But we didn't get that. Instead they brought 'em back out of nowhere and made him an entirely different character from what we knew of him. Instead of being this berserker that served his master faithfully as muscle, he became a mastermind Sith out of nowhere. Even if it really doesn't fit with what we knew of the character.

If they wanted a third side in the Clone Wars that was around briefly, they should've just stuck with using Pre Vizsla. The Mandalorian story arc was one of the few things of TCW that had potential to be good, but they just put a resurrected Maul in charge and made the Death Watch his mooks instead.

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Because snitches get stitches