main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Dooku light up Anakin again?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Unkar's Muffins, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Did he lose his Sith lightening powers, or what? He could have fried Anakin like a french fry, but oddly he didn't even try.

Sidious has no such qualms about using it.

2. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    First, the script did not call for Dooku to use Sith lightning. ;)

Second, he was faced with two Jedi who were not so impetuous as to engage him one on one. Anakin exposed himself during the Geonosis duel and thus he got blaster.

Third, Anakin was right: his powers had doubled since the last time he had faced Dooku. Dooku realized this and knew that even if he unloaded his Sith lightning that Anakin would have deflected it with his lightsaber.

:)

3. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    How do you explain Sidious' lightening use? He doesn't fail to use it, even though he knows that lightsabers or force deflection can remove it's effectiveness.

4. VECTORPLEX

VECTORPLEX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    Yes, Dooku could have easily fried Anakin & Obi Wan to a crisp, but probably wanted to toy with them first. Instead of using his sith lightning, he chooses to force throw them around the room, flexing his muscles.

5. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    First, perhaps its just personal preference. Each Sith is different, doncha know. Perhaps Sidious just liked using the lighnting compared to Dooku.

Second, Sidious unleashed against Mace when Sidious was without defense...kind of a last ditch response to Mace's onslaught. Dooku could not do so when Anakin had him at his mercy because Dooku was without hands.

Third, Sidious uses lightning against Luke because he can. Luke never knew that lightning was a weapon of the Sith and therefore Sidious used it as a sort of "special surprise" for Luke.

Sidious uses lightning against Yoda when: a) yoda was not expecting it...sending him flying, b) perhaps he did not realize that Yoda's power in the Force would really allow for a "swallowing" of the Force lightning...although Dooku probably told him, c) Sidious was far too arrogant in his use of lightning because he had earlier seen Yoda get tossed like a rag doll by the lightning. Perhaps he thought he could PWN Yoda just by throwing some lightning at him.

6. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Yet Sidious force lightning knocked Yoda's lightsaber away

7. Cland

Cland Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2005
    OoOoooooo So are you proposing that Yoda intentnally got hit by the lightning at the begining of the duel to throw sid off balance later on? OoOO I like that.

8. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    I never noticed that. Will have to review that scene. That's an important observation, if true.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Palpatine has told Dooku. 'I have somebody who I think will be a great Sith Lord and I think we can get him to join us. But we need to test him. So we're going to setup a situation where you fight him. If he gets the best of you, then I'll stop the fight and he'll have passed the test. If you get the best of him, then we'll let him go, and we'll let him stew for a few more years until he's ready.' But behind it, obviously, is Palpatine's real intention: If Anakin is good enough, Anakin can kill Dooku and become Palpatine's new apprentice. But he didn't tell Dooku that."

--George Lucas, The Making Of ROTS; Page 41.

That's why he didn't try to fry Anakin and Obi-wan.

10. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    I've never seen a sith lord shoot lightning at someone in the middle of a duel.

It would leave you vunerable to someone else striking you down. (probably why Maul didnt do it)

In order to shoot lightning you have to have a one on one opponent facing you and have a little room.

When Dooku hit Anakin the first time, Anakin foolishly rushed him alone.

When Sidious hit Luke, Luke was alone and foolishly threw away his saber.

When Sidious "attempted" to shoot Mace, the action had slowed down and it was his last resort.

When Sidious DID hit Mace, Mace was wide open.

When Dooku tried to shoot it at Yoda, Yoda was a good 40 or 50 ft. away from him.

So Dooku trying to shoot lightning at Anakin again would have been stupid in the beginning because Obi would have simply struck him down. And he didnt have time to do it later because Anakin was right on top of him.

11. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    palps lightning is more powerful than dooku's lightning

12. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Yet Sidious force lightning knocked Yoda's lightsaber away

Yoda had just landed and Sidious caught him off balance.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

[Bail Organa] "And so it is..." [/Bail Organa]

14. DarkLordOfTheSithIAm

DarkLordOfTheSithIAm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    The most obvious answer to this question is because that isn't how GL wrote the script....nuff said?!?!?!?!

15. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, another question that could be brought up....

(if this were a TPM forum:p ) Is why in the hell didnt Maul shoot it at Obi-Wan??8-}

EDIT:
    I guess this was before Lucas decided to allow someone to steal Sidious' trademark move.:confused:

16. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Because that would have made too much sense....and Kenobi would be dead....thus creating continuity problems up the ***:p

17. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    Is why in the hell didnt Maul shoot it at Obi-Wan??

Maul probably doesn't know how to use force lightning. When Obi-Wan was dangling over the pit would have been an ideal time to use lightning if Maul had the power. The best explanation is that Maul hasn't learned lightning yet.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think Sidious taught him how to do it, yet.

19. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Thanks for that explanation, Sinister.

Re Maul, he could have easily just swiped at Obi with the lightsaber he had.

He was prideful and gloating, that's all. Too bad...for him.

20. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Dooku never gets a chance apparently. If you didn't notice, Anakin kicks the **** out of him in this duel.

21. ryno1234

ryno1234 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2003
    Lightning seems to be only effective if you don't know it's coming. Obi-Wan and Anakin were quite familiar with it in Dooku II, and if all you have to do is hold a sabre in front of it, why try. Plus, the ship was going down, so it's not like they had a lot of time.

I really don't believe that Yoda suffered from the hit. It was a bluff. Remember what Luke said when he met Sidious: "Your overconfidence is your weekness." Yoda probably sensed that right away. So let his head swell right away, and then show your hand, which will create fear.

In the grand scheme of things, was lightning really an effective weapon? Not really. Not one jedi death can be attributed solely to lightning. It preserved a tie in Yoda-Sidious, and got Sidious killed in ROTJ.

22. Master_Ti

Master_Ti Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    QFT

*~Ti~*

23. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Master Ti! Where've you been?

By the way, I've seen (and used) quoted for truth or QFT more times on this board in the last week than I can count. Maybe this is a sign that people are getting along better. Or just conforming.

24. Master_Ti

Master_Ti Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi Yoshi [:D]

I've been around, mainly in the SWC or YJCC.

Thought I'd swing back by here though lol.

But you made an excellent point, Dooku never had the chance to unleash his sith powers on Anakin. Anakin held the upper hand that ENTIRE battle

*~Ti~*

25. Ruthio

Ruthio Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    like sinster posted earlier Douku was suppose to test Anakins saber skills. Im sure if Douku wanted to he could of done it, and ended the duel. But, Douku fooolishly beleived in his master to much, and he was eventually out manuvered by skywalker. Im sure if douku really really wanted to kill Anakin, im sure their are a number of ways he could of gotten the time to fry him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.