main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Didn't GL Make Padme Die the Other Way

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SithMacqdor, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    According to a number of you, the "broken heart" death is necessary because if Anakin had killed her directly, he'd no longer be redeemable. So, he kills half the GFFA, including the Younglings, no problem. But, oooooh, he kills Padme and redemption goes out the window?

Moreover, why would she "lose the will to live" if she still believes there is good in him?

Good thing her kids didn't take after her, Luke would have keeled over at the burning Lars homestead and Leia on the Death Star after seeing Alderaan blown to bits.

2. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Why do people think that Padme has to die a certain way? Why do people think strong-willed people have NO emotional weaknesses?

I recall that Charles Boyer, who was known as a strong-willed, had committed suicide a year after his wife of 30-40 years had died of cancer. Everyone has their weakness(es). Padme's happened to be Anakin and the Republic. And she had witnessed the spiritual death of one and the actual death of the other. You may not have reacted as she had . . . but then you're not Padme Amidala Skywalker.

3. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    as sinister said it is because GL wanted something sad and traggic WITHOUT ANAKIN DIRECTLY MURDERING HER INVOLVED.

4. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Here's my take on Padme's death.

Granted, it must be known that most of my opinion comes from teh novelization of ROTS than from the movie.

Ok, Sidious tells Anakin all about Plagueis controlling the midichlorians to create life. After Anakin becomes Vader, Sids says that he has yet to figure it out.

We all know that the Sith are about lies and deceit and mistrust. However, after Ankin gets sliced and diced by Obi-Wan in the book, Sidious comes down to check out Anakin's body. All of the dialogue makes it seem as if Anakin died in the battle. They repeatedly refer to him in the past tense, and Sidious has to impart his will on his apprentice, "Live, my apprentice. Live! Live!" Those are the words Sidious says to Anakin while placing his hand on his head.

I feel that Sidious actually brought Anakin back to life, or at least helped him to remain so in a meditative state until they could get him on the operating table. Sids said that he learned EVERYTHING that Plagueis had to offer, including the way to save Padme, but he never admits to Anakin that he was the apprentice of Plagueis.

Now, if Sidious COULD control midichlorians, it is CONCEIVABLE that he could have taken the will out of Padme to live...a la Force Plague...

They said there was no medical reason for her to be dying but she was...enter Sidious. How would he know that she died? Vader asks him, "Where's Padme?" "It seems that in your anger, you killed her." How did he know that? She had NOT had her funeral yet, and it's not like Yoda or Bail would send a message to the corrupt senate informing them of the death of Padme.

I personally think that Sidious killed her.

5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    D-Horax, I agree that that would make perfect sense, but there are absolutely no indications in the movie that this is the case.

6. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Oh, I know that...that's why I said my ideas came out of teh novelization. It would make more sense though. How can a mother lose the will to live after giving birth to twins?

7. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    And still believing that their father has good in him.

Answer: I have absolutely no idea.

8. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    aparently she did;)

this is a good question though:

its her tragedy understandable or is she only a selfish b**** ??

9. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Padmé dies of a broken heart.

Padmé: I don?t know you anymore

Anakin your breaking my heart.

Your going down a path I can?t follow.

10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Sorrow, but you leave out a pretty important quote: "There is still good in him." She knows it's not hopeless. Why give up?

As for the Anakin not being directlz involved, my wife said it best when we left the theatre: Anakin killed her!

11. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    She gave up because it was too late. Her emotional state had already affected her health to a degree that left her dying. She died of a broken heart. Either we all need to accept it or simply don't bother to watch the film again. That's all I can say.

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    But she says it's not too late, "there is still good in him"

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It already is too late because she dies as soon as she says it. Her body has already shut down when she says this.

14. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    - she DID die of lost of will to live you can either accept it or invent.the line the droid says was there becasue Gl the film maker wanted it to be there so is more reliable than the average fan POV on the topic.

- it was too late becasue she says the "good in him " line and dies inmediately.

- and no anakin didnt kill her,she was alive after anakin's attack,and the medical droid says she is in perfect health.

conclusion: she did die of lost of will to live,you can accept it or come up with theories to satisfy your own POV.

15. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Ever hear of post-partum depression?

16. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Is that where the Mother hates her kids? is that fatal? Also if it is about the Mother rejecting her kids why would she name them or defend the father?

I've looked up the term but I'd rather not read through forty pages of text to get the jist of what it is. Could you be so kind as to enlighten us all?

EDITED PORTION: Also wouldn't the droid say that she was dying of Post Pardum Syndrome or that her physical symptoms are death are related to a loss of will to live? Seems like if the death was related to her own state of mind or spirit, the connection would be stated.

Perhaps though Lucas wanted to make it clear that Anakin's action didn't directly kill her and that she was dying and wanted to say it in 20 words or less. It could have just been a post production decision and since the droid was a one line character, it would be an easy fix or alteration.

17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I'm not arguing that that's what happened, I'm arguing that it's absurd. But, as far as Anakin's role, who caused that loss of will? Anakin. He killed her, one way or another. I see him no more innocent this way than if he had kept choking her until she died.

As for the PPD explanation, I think it would especially pathetic to use a sickness that affects countless women in so hackneyed a way. If PPD was what killed her, fine, But for that serious an issue, do it right, not with "She lost the will to live."

18. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    >>>But she says it's not too late, "there is still good in him"

Padmé's dying words are SO important. They bring enlightenment to Kenobi, Luke and finally Anakin, too.

What if the statement is a realization to Padmé that she must tell to Obi-Wan?

What if, by saying: "Obi-Wan...there is good in him. I know...I know there is...still...",

Is she telling Obi-Wan, you were wrong about him?

Maybe, she's saying, don't give up on Anakin, Obi-Wan.

Although Padmé could not reach Anakin with her love, maybe the unconditional love of his children will be able to succeed where she failed....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.