main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Kersh direct ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Capporegime, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capporegime

Capporegime Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    Why didn't Irvin Kershner direct ROTJ? I don't remember hearing about this on the ROTJ DVD or special features. Was it his choice?

2. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    No idea :) I'd like to know too. Some argue that Kershner couldn't put up with the creative control Lucas exerted over him, but I'm not 100% sure if that's true or not. Anybody?

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Probably the same reason he couldn't get Spielberg, problems with the Hollywood establishment.

4. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Watch Empire of Dreams and pay attention.

5. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    When Lucas left the actors guild after ESB was over. He was basically left alone, like Hollywood was a parent abandoning it's child. Lucas has to totally fend for himself, in the end it's what he wanted, total control and now we have ROTJ, TPM & AOTC. Hehe.

6. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Lucas asked Kershner back to direct ROTJ. Kershner said no, because directing ESB took a lot out of him (and he was no spring chicken, even back then) and he figured directing more than one SW movie in a lifetime was enough.

Now he wishes he'd said yes.

7. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I'd love to se a Kershner directed RotJ and AotC. Not cause I think he's better than Lucas, but because I'd love to see his versions.

8. friendly_bob

friendly_bob Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2004
    Wasn't David Lynch also considered for ROTJ? Now THATS a film I'd like to see! :)

9. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    According to the empire of dreams documentary, Spielberg was Lucas' first choice

10. friendly_bob

May 12, 2004
    A Spielberg Star Wars would also have been interesting.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Funny how things change. With the PT, he didn't want Spielberg to direct, because he realised how much he liked directing the films himself.

12. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Lynch was considered but he didn't think the film would ever be "his". It was Lucas' project.

13. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Lynch turned down RoTJ in favor to direct Dune, I believe.

14. El-Elyon

El-Elyon Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    it would've been good had he got another director to do it, but due to hollywood politics it never happened.
    He did want speilberg, and that would've been interesting.
    IMO ROTJ is my least favourite of the classics, mostly due to the fact that the Imperial forces look like idiots.
    How could those fools ever subjucate an entire galaxy?
    The new star wars game was good, cos I got to live endor in all its glory of a REAL battle!

15. friendly_bob

May 12, 2004
    [spaced]An entire Empire, overthrown by small furry Ewoks...[/spaced]

:)

16. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Because Lucas wanted a director he could control, one who wouldnt let the budget run over by spending hours discussing charecterisation with the cast.Kersh couldnt give a crap about all the effects(& despite what many say about the great story "empire" is still meant to be a spectacle).A David lynch ROTJ wouldn't have fit the saga at all.

17. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Because Lucas wanted a director he could control, one who wouldnt let the budget run over by spending hours discussing charecterisation with the cast.

PPOR.

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Wasn't David Lynch also considered for ROTJ?

Mmm, I'd heard that rumour as well. That would've defintely been an interesting, if odd choice.

Because Lucas wanted a director he could control

No. It was Kersh's choice not to do another SW film, despite Lucas wanting him to do it. Watch EoD.

19. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, David Lynch was considered for ROTJ. He confirmed this in an interview. He said he was surprised that so many people seemed to know about that, since neither he nor Lucas ever made it public.

20. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    DamonD edit : Nothing to do with the topic. Let's stay away from the fantasy of what X director could've done with a SW film, and stick to the topic please.

21. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    I recall reading that after Kersh saw ROTJ he regretted his decision not to direct saying, "I could have done so much with that film." He said he could have done magic or wonders with ROTJ.

22. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    "I could have done so much with that film."

But if he was already tired, I wonder? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.