main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Leia tell Han she was Luke's sister sooner?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by -HD-YaebGinn, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Why did Leia not tell Han she was Luke's sister? I mean, she told him later, and Luke never said not to tell him or anything. Whats the deal?

2. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    She didn't even find out until late.

3. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    If she told Han that she was Luke's sister she would probably have to include the part about being Vader's daughter.

She was still dealing with that bit of information and was full of confusing emotions.

4. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    She was probably too upset and had to come to terms with it herself at the time Luke told her and Han walked in. As she said, all she wanted to be is held.

5. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    She was still confused as to why she kissed Luke even though she said "I've always known..."

[face_laugh]

6. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Its quite simple really: she is a woman. No offense ladies, but most women are notorious for holding things back.

7. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    They had an important mission to do, she probably didn't want to tell Han so his focus was on deactivating the shield generator, her emotions were already all over the place, she didn't want it to happen to their leader.

8. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    Why? Why not.

9. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    By any chance, are you referring the famous country singer, Tammy Whynot?

I love her![face_love] :p

10. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    Because her identity had to remain a secret from the Emperor and Darth Vader. Until they were killed, she could not tell anybody.

11. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Becuase she was having a hard time dealing with it, that's alot to deal with, sometimes when people go through something very difficult it takes them time to open up to talk about it with other people, even to the people they're closest too!

12. ARC-Trooper19

ARC-Trooper19 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2005
    Well put^^^ she probably was stilldealing with the shock of it all and wasnt sure how to handle it, hence wanting Han to hold her.

13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    When Leia says "somehow I've always known", she didn't mean that in a literal sense. In other words, she was saying "oh yeah, I feel like I've always known." She really had no clue.

14. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    I dont think its the one about protectingher identity. The Empire already wants her as much as they can. Its not like knowing she's Vader daughter is gonna make them go any more after her than they are already.

But I mean, she makes it so mysterious, when its not. 'Lukes my brother' boom. I think Han, as a friend of both, deserves to know.

And when Han says 'I wont get in the way' I thought was very not Han-ish. She said she loved Han in ESB, he wouldnt give up without fighting.

15. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003

Yeah, but now that they know she is force adept, and the daughter of the chosen one, she is fairly more important to Vader and Palps.

I agree, that she was still processing the information, and needed time to come to grips that the Man responsible for killing 'her father' was her daddy.

16. Tatooine_92

Tatooine_92 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    I agree also. She was probably thinking, "Say wha-?" and spent her whole evening at Ewokland thinking over this whole "Luke's dad is Vader, and Luke's my brother-- *gasp* That means...!" thing. Or maybe she felt like Han wouldn't understand, thus the "I- I can't tell you." I could understand both theories. If somebody told me that they were my brother, and that our dad is one of the most evil guys in the universe, I'd -have- to sit down and wait for my head to stop spinning, and Han, with all his cockiness, could hardly be pursuaded to buy that. But note how easily he bites into the "He's my brother."

At least she got a hold on herself and her real parentage...or did she?

17. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    why is the title changed? 'Why' described the topic perfectly.

18. ulien

ulien Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    Because she wasn`t ready to tell him she is Vader`s dauther?

19. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    she seemed pretty at ease at the end of RotJ. She didnt say it like upset or anything. More amused was her expression.

20. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    or she wasn't ready to tell herself that

21. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Or both.

Besides, they didn't have much time for that kind of thing.

22. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Yes, she was amused by the irony that Han was jealous of her brother.

And I subscribe to the theory that she was too shocked to tell Han on the spot, she had to process it herself first. But she told him less than a day after! At least the brother and sister part, we don't know when and how Han discovered who was their Dad.

23. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I agree, that was an awful lot to process all at once. Leia needed time to digest this startling information herself before she could tell anyone else, even Han. She really needed to come to terms with her parentage, too.

Then came the big battle, and she had other things to concentrate on first, like winning and surviving. Once the battle was won, Han brought Luke to her attention again, and she realized she needed to tell him at least about Luke, don't know if/when she revealed the rest. That information would be very difficult for Han to take. He was tortured and frozen by Leia's father, and Leia was tortured by him as well! How would he react to that?

Personally, Han's line about not standing in the way showed his change between pure selfishness at the beginning (or so he wanted us to think)and his selflessness at the end. If it would make Leia happy, he would let her go, even if he didn't want her to. He was thinking of her needs, not his; he has grown tremendously over the course of the 3 movies. At that point, Leia realized that he didn't know that Luke is her brother, and was amused that he's jealous of Luke. It was then that she revealed that bit of information to Han. Furthermore, she realized the extent of Han's love for her.

24. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    good answer

25. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    1. She was in shock
    2. Embarrassed
    3. About to go to war in a few hours and who your daddy is isnt that important at a time like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.