main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Lucasfilm have Jedi/Sith use new Force Powers?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sitara, May 13, 2013.

1. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    But they WANT cartoon-ish displays.

Please, no post-Dark Empire Uber-Jedi. All it will do is turn most fans off.

2. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, it ought to be the Sith who have lots of offensive Force Powers at their disposal. Including, for the most powerful among them, the power to annihilate entire army's, if not entire systems and all their related planets, using the Force. (the last should take a lot of time to put into motion though, say by telekinetic ally moving a star into a system and causing it to implode/explode via the Dark Side)

The Jedi should only use the Force for defence most of the time. Thus they use lightsabers and minor Force tricks like push/pull. Their major powers only come into play when facing Sith; they use the Lightside to negate all effects of the Dark Side. Thus, the Light Side is the shield that protects the galaxy against the Sith and the Dark Side, and it is why the Sith only need to remove the Jedi to take over.Everything else is just details. Since their powers cancel each other out, Jedi and Sith thus then switch to Lightsabers to ensure an outcome and end the stalemate.

We kinda saw something like this in AOTC with Dooku vs Yoda. Dooku used the Dark Side to attack Yoda, and Yoda used the Light Side to defend. Neither was getting anywhere, so they switched to sabers. Tyrannus even highlights this with a spoken dialogue.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  3. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    While I loathe the EU with a passion, I have to call you out here: what uber Jedi? What exactly have the Jedi done post ROTJ that makes them uber? They got the crap beaten out of them by the Vong, which are a ridiculous opponent. Not to mention those big cats (voxen) that tore through Jedi and had them terrified.

Luke is shown to be good in Lightsaber combat yes, but nothing that couldn't have been done by any of the Masters in the PT.

4. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    If the Radio Dramas are to be believed, then Bail gave Leia a 2 part mission: retrieve the Death Star plans, and to go to Tatooine to enlist General Kenobi's help.

I think the poster who said that the droids ended up on Luke's doorstep didn't mean figuratively(as in his planet), but quite literally his actual doorstep. The Jawas captured the droids, and brought them to the Lars homestead. A different astromech droid was bought, but malfunctioned. Some would call it luck, others would call it the will of the Force.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Sitara

even though he wasn't in DE, Kyle Katarn's middle name is Uber.;)

VanishingReality and Sitara like this.
  6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Luke has done quite of stuff the Masters in the PT could only dream of doing.

7. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Haha, yes, but even Kyle Katarn never really used any force power the PT Jedi or Sith did not, with the sole exception of Force Destruction. (would have loved to see it in the PT)

Also, I still to this day wish they would do another sequel to Jedi Knight, but this time hold the Dark Side ending as cannon. Also, live action hawt scenes with Sariss. [face_devil]

8. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Again, it's the EU. However, can you give any detailed examples? (remember, I don't follow the EU much at all, mostly just read summaries on wookiepedia)

The biggest thing I know of Luke having done is the Jedi 'Meld' wherein he cut through many Vong.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Dark Empire (before actually going dark) we see Luke deflect bolts from an AT-AT with his lightsaber- then use telekinesis to bring it crashing to the ground.

VanishingReality and rumsmuggler like this.
  10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    if you read summaries , then you don't need any examples. Luke reached the potential of Anakin and has probably surpassed it, but if you aren't into EU, I won't waste my time listing Luke's achievements.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  12. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Because films aren't videogames.

13. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    Let's see. How many massive "Force Storms" where there? "Force portals". A group of apprentices pushing a fleet of Star Destroyers away from Yavin. Pulling the Suncrusher from the center of a Gas Giant. Being able to disembody the consciousness of a Jedi Master. I'm not going to get into the NJO because nearly every time they had to use the Force is was way, way over the top comic book kind of stuff.

The Yuuzan Vong were purposely made to be 99% resistant to Jedi powers and where made grossly overpowered to deal with the EU Uber Jedi. And frankly I'm tired of the crap of the Starkillers, Kyp Durrons, etc, all being "the most powerful force user everz!!!!!" You're not going to see Sidious, Yoda, Mace Windu, Dooku, Anakin/Vader doing that kind of stuff.

The Emperor needed the Death Star to blow up Rebel ships. The Dark Empire Cloned Emperor needed nothing more then a Force Storm and his own range to destroy ships.

VanishingReality likes this.
  14. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    The EU has perpetuated the Uber Jedi so long that many don't even realize they are way overpower says something.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Um, flowwalking?

[insert exploding head gif]

I just never....

16. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    Luke walking on lava.

17. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    I thought he did have the Jedi use new (as in, previously unseen) Force powers. Like the super-speed Obi Wan and Qui Gon display in the first scenes of TPM, or Anakin calming the bull-creature (I forget its exact name) through the Force in the Geonosis arena in AOTC.

VanishingReality likes this.
  18. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    Yeah, but they weren't the Uber Powers seen a lot in the EU, especially in the timeline starting with Dark Empire.

19. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    And in I think that same book, or somewhere in JAT, he and all his students 'deflected temperature' to avoid being boiled alive in a hot spring.

The biggest power from DE is the Sith's Force Storm. (The Jedi's force Harmony is arguably the strongest Jedi technique, but it just amounts to an uber shield).

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Luke can also fold space now iirc.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Makes sense, when you can stroll backwards in time.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Both skills were taught by the same group, but they are two different techniques i think.

23. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Ok the Force Storm was in a comic, and old comic if I recall correctly, with bad art, so not sure if that counts.

The apprentices force pushing SDs I recall from Darksaber, a truly horrible book, and one of them died doing it. So not really all that uber, as the rest were really drained and so couldn't keep doing it.

Actually, TBH much of the uber stuff the jedi do in the EU seems to come from the 'meld' techniques wherein multiple jedi combine their powers. Thankfully, there is nothing like this in the movies. I really hope this is never done in the movies, as I much prefer the telepathic abilities of Force Users to be subtle and less overtly powerful than in the EU. If every Jedi could read everyone's mind and stuff like that, it would get boring fast. It should be left to sensing surface thoughts and feelings.

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I think it has been shown that all Jedi aren't good at mind reading and other telepathic abilities. Qui Gon and Obi Wan needed comlinks to keep in touch while on Tatooine.

25. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Well yeah, Vader only read Luke's mind when he was right in his face too.

And/or anyway, I doubt the Jedi use the Force for every little thing. Only in emergencies, or when there is no other options. Plus, using comlinks has no risk of straining themselves.

Oh and I just recalled 2 more Sith powers:

Force Face: What Sidious used to keep a kindly old mans face on top of his real face
    Force Conceal: Sidious using the Dark Side to keep his true thoughts and strength in the Dark Side hidden from all Jedi for decades.