main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Luke ask Ben about his mother?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hananiah, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I am really sorry if this has already been posted but I checked and I couldn't find one but anyway...

In ANH Luke asks all these questions about his father since Ben knew him but he didn't mention his mother until ROTJ surely Luke would figure since Ben knew his father he would know his mother.
    Do you think that since his aunt Beru was a loving mother type and his uncle was more distant Luke wanted to have a fatherly figure in his life?

2. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I am not sure, this is a good question but he probably heard more about his father than his mother so he may have been more connected to his father since he knew more about his father.

3. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    that is a really good question. until I saw rotj I always thought that he already knew the answer. mabey he thought so too. and thats why he did not ask until ROTJ.

4. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    It would seem natural that he ask about her. Perhaps he'd asked his aunt and uncle about her sometime before he met Ben. Only when Ben began talking of Anakin, Luke got caught up in the story. Maybe he wanted to ask but the timing was never right since the events after meeting Ben unfolded so quickly. After Ben's death, Luke may have tought he lost his only chance to find out more about her.

Or GL is a chauvinist...

5. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Owen lied to Luke about Anakin being a jedi.. its possible Luke thought he knew everything there was to know about his mother but really it was just more of Owen's lies

or maybe Luke didnt think he had a mother..
    maybe Owen told Luke that he was conceived my midichlorians.. "There was no mother.. your father carried you, he gave birth, we raised you. We can't explain what happened." .. wha?? it worked for Shmi! 8-}

6. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
  7. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    This is a good question, especially considering how accomplished Luke's mother was (former senator and queen). It's sad that Padme's kids know almost nothing about her. I guess many young boys want to grow up to be like their fathers.

8. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Well his mother didnt try to kill him.

9. Darth_Rogue

Darth_Rogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    That's a good question Hananiah. When I first saw the ANH and TESB I thought "Luke's
    such an ass sometimes! "Why dosen't he ask about his mother? Does he not care about her?" But then I saw how sad he was in ROTJ that he didn't know his mother.I agree with what Esperanza Nueva sid that maybe Owen did tell him stuff about his mom but after he found out that he lied about Ani so he figured that he must have lied about Padme to. Maybe he never bothered asking Ben about his mom because perhaps he thought Ben never knew because he didn't mentioned her. When he sound out that Leia was his sister he probably thought "Hey maybe she knew mom, I know she won't lie to me about her."

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think that's part of it. Luke thinks his father was a navigator on a freighter, so he's probably had lies fed to him about his mother as well. He just happens to question the story about his father more because Obi-Wan tips him off that there was more to Anakin than Luke knew.

Some of it may also be chauvinism on GL's (or Luke's) part. Luke seems to start out thinking his father was a great hero, someone to emulate, so maybe he just assumed his father overshadowed his mother.

11. Darth_Rogue

Darth_Rogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    LOL [face_laugh] Esperanza Nueva!

12. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    LUKE: Ben... tell me about my father...

BEN: He was the best starpilot in the galaxy! A cunning warrior. Yes, he was a good friend. Quite the boy scout. I was amazed at how strongly the Force was with him! A man amongst men.

LUKE: What about my mother?

BEN: Psshh. She was a politician and not to be trusted. Hung out with a baaad crowd. Damn Gungan...

13. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    TWD: Lol

That is probably what Ben thought 8-}

14. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe he mom is buryed next to Shimi Skywalker at Lars' home. So he knew she was dead, told maybe died during his birth.

15. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "Maybe he mom is buryed next to Shimi Skywalker at Lars' home."

Luke: "Aunt Beru, whatever happened to my mother? How did she die?"

Aunt Beru: "See that grave over there. That's your mother's. She died giving birth to you and...nevermind, we'll save that for later. Are you okay with this? How does this make you feel?"

Luke: "Sad, but beautiful, in a strange way. Just like that grave. There's something familiar about that grave."

16. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    LOL Great, I see it more like Aunt Beru is the mom from "Throw Momma from the Train"

Luke: Aunt Beru, what happened to my mommy?

Aunt Breu: She died given birth to your lazy a$$! Thank god, she was always bitching about how she lost her true love. What a cry baby!

Luke: Oh, I wish I knew here.

Aunt Beru: Stop crying you little baby and get go get me some more Blue Milk. And run my bath run, damn its hot here. Why did your fat uncle ever bring me this place! I tell you what.....

17. PalpatineAntikristos

Oct 6, 2002
    Yes, Anne Ramsey from "Throw Mamma from the Train"! Excellent performance. She is sorely missed.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

I always thought of Beru as the more caring of Luke's foster parents. She does stand up to Owen on Luke's behalf. I can imagine little Luke running to her for help when he got in fights with Owen.

19. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    I think that since Beru was more caring and warm towards Luke he viewed her as a mother figure where as he often argued with Owen so he never came to view him as a father figure.

He would have had worse arguments with his father I mean

Vader:Time for your Sith training

Luke:but, I was going to Tashi Station...

*A Star Destroyer blows up Tashi Station from orbit*

Luke:Yes,father...

20. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
  21. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Following the idea that the Lars' fed Luke a pack of lies about his parents, perhaps the story about his mother was so awful, he buried it deep within sub-conscious. For example,

Owen: "Your father was navigator on a spice freighter and your mother, well, let's just say she was the reason your father had so many repeat customers...if you know what I mean."

Luke: <<looks perplexed>>

Beru: "It's best you forget about your mother, I'm here now."

22. PEI

PEI Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    He never asked about his grandmother either, or even wierder, his grandfather.

23. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Skywalker_1138: [face_laugh]

24. PalpatineAntikristos

Oct 6, 2002
    Given the Luke/Leia kiss, perhaps it was better if he didn't ask about his mother. I sea Oedipus and his complex rearing their dangerous heads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.