main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didnt Luke ask Vader about Padme?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Matthew78, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    When Luke Skywalker turned himself in to Vader on the moon of Endor why doesnt he ask Vader about his mother Padme? "I have no memory of my mother, i never knew her." "What was my mother like?who was she father?" Basically Luke could have asked his father about his mother/ Vaders wife and mentioned that he never knew her and maybe Vader would feel some sympathy for Luke and tell him that she was once a queen and also a senator and that she was a good woman that he loved until she died.

Basically Vader and Palpatine were the only people left that remembered Padme so Luke could have asked him about his mother and maybe touched the Anakin Skywalker inside of him a little bit more by showing an interest in his mother and being sad as he mentioned never knowing her and Vader would speak about her for the first time in years and luke would realize that hes not as bad as everyone thought he was, Vader might also think about Padme when Luke was being attacked by Palpatines force lightning and remember how he had force choked Padme years earlier for rejecting him as well, and now this time his son is being attacked for the same reason and he cannot allow any more of his family to die for his Sith cause anymore so he saves Lukes life while remembering how he failed to save Padme's life before, he saw a little bit of Padme in Luke and wouldnt let that die this time around.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm going to say because he had no reason to really trust Vader at that point. That and the fact that he couldn't waste a single moment on anything that wasn't directly related to trying to remind his father that he loved him and didn't want to kill him. He had no way of knowing whether bringing up his long-dead mother would make things better or worse - and neither do we, for that matter.

3. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I feel like that at that time it probabaly was not appropriate to bring up padme because luke and vader had some unfinished business between them two alone.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I see no reason why Luke would ask him of those things given that he has absolutely no idea how Padme died or that it was related to Vader's fall.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Vader knew that Padme had died, the news to him was that Luke had been born. And remember, Padme's death was made VERY public at the end of ROTS. As Luke was only knee-high to a womprat back then, Vader knew there was no point in asking.

Because, if Luke had known about Padme, he may have also known that Vader was his father.

6. WeaveSP03

WeaveSP03 Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2005
    I'm going to guess because Lucas hadn't made Padme up yet?

7. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    "I know that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father"

"That name no longer holds any meaning now"

Vader wouldn't answer questions about Padme to Luke when they were still on Endor, for the simple reason that he was still trying to completely forget everything about his previous life as Anakin.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Even though Vader is Lukes father they don't exactly have the father son connection. I mean, you don't see them throwing around a soft ball. If anything it would get Vader angry, he still wasn't at the point to accept his actions as he still denies being Anakin skywalker. Only when Vader accepts his mistakes and destroys the sith to redeem himself, he dies only moments later.

They didn't really have the time to sit down and have a heart to heart talk. Plus Luke didn't know Padme, he was raised with the Lars as his family. While trying to accomplish saving the galaxy and you can't dwell on the past and 'what ifs'.

9. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Who says he didn`t? What we were shown onscreen was just the business in hand, what was relevant to what was going on in the moment.

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Good question.Maybe it was because he was concentrating on the matter at hand. Ben and Yoda told him that he had to confront Vader. And why does he need to go to Anakin for that 411? Yoda could have told him about Padme before Yoda's last scene with Luke before he said, 'That face, you make. Look I so old to your eyes?'

11. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I agree. Luke was trying to save his father Anakin. He wasn't trying to talk a walk down memory lane. I bet he thought that if he could save his father they would have plenty of time to talk about his mother, his uncle, his daddys old speeder or whatever they wanted to chit chat about.

12. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    I'm gonna go with the idea that he doesn't know exactly what happened between the two of them. He doesn't know what his action might be when he brings her up (though he may not know her by name). It may have no reaction what-so-ever, it may jar some emotional connection in him... or... Vader may just get angry. He could go livid and start killing people. Luke's trying to lead Vader away from his friends, not anger him and have him ordering Stormtroopers to tear apart the planet.

He probably feels it's better to play on his connection with his father. Leave it between the two of them. Keep Vader's attention on him.

...it's actually a pretty smart plan as I'm sitting here thinking about it. Better than anything Yoda ever came up with.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I also agree with the idea that it would have just pissed Vader off more if Luke had mentioned Padme. I don't know if it would have helped Luke's case to bring her up or not. Regardless, Luke was smart to work on trying to establish a father-son connection and not let Vader distract him from that goal no matter how much he wanted to change the subject back to "blah blah blah dark side blah blah blah Palpatine" (to paraphrase Family Guy :p ).

14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Luke: What was my mother like?

Vader: She had awesome hairstyles and an incredible wardrobe. She changed clothes frequently. That's all I remember about her...

Luke: Oh. :(

Not exactly something I'd put in a movie. [face_laugh]

Seriously though, I'm sure Vader would not have spoken about his wife, since he didn't even acknowledge his own former self.

15. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Actually it would have been more like:

LUKE: What was my mother like

VADER: You know, I never really paid attention to her, Son. But she was HOT!

[face_skull]

16. RedSeven

RedSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2007
    He probably had too many things on his mind.

17. SoonerSean

SoonerSean Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    Vader: She was soft. Not like sand, which is coarse and rough... and it gets everywhere.

Luke: Huh?

(I'm picturing 40-Year Old Virgin and Vader stomping off afterwards saying to himself: "Sand?!?!? Come on man!")

18. there_is_a_dog

there_is_a_dog Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2007
    Because there were no memories. He lost them. In ROTS the emperor tells anakin that he must forget natilie and concentrate on trying to find obiwan.If he dosent find obiwan the war will not stop and that he knows yoda could take his place!

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  20. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't recall that ever happening.

From what I remember Padme was all Anakin thought of. I mean, I may be crazy but I'm pretty sure shes the reason he actually attacked Obi Wan.

I may be wrong though, someone find a source for me.

21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Padme was the reason Anakin turned into Vader and did all that Jedi-diciing, Republic-destroying thing with Palpy in the first place! So he could learn the power to stop Padme from dying. A "You do this for me, and in return, I'll do that for you." kind of deal.

Anakin kills Jedi=Anakin gets power to stop Padme from dying. (That was the deal Palpy and Anakin/Vader had, I believe...)

BOT: Luke was focused on turning Vader. I'm sure that after he got Vader back to the good side, he would have a discussion about Padme.

But what would he say?

Vader: "She was the reason I turned to the Dark Side, son. She died because I let my anger get out of control..."
    Luke: *Immediate Sith Eyes*

22. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    You sir, are a genius!

23. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004

You're wrong. Everything including every little detail was made up from the beginning in 1974. Everything from Watto to Qui-Gon to the Trade Federation.

Lucas said so himself.

:p 8-} :p 8-}

24. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004

Yes, I believe it. I believe it.

25. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.