main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Luke bring is lightsaber to Jabba's Pallace

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SSD_Lusyanka, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    I say RotJ again yesterday, and I was wondering. Why, instead of giving R2 his lightsaber, didn't he not take his lightsaber with him? Sure, the Rancor fight would be more dramatic, but it doesn't make sence.

2. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Probably because he was hoping he wouldn't have to use it and could keep it as a backup. If he had had it with him, it would have been confiscated after the rancor fight, then he would have been without it during the Sarlacc execution.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Going in armed would have told Jabba he was here looking for a fight, instead of trying to initally bargin for Han.

4. SSD_Lusyanka

May 26, 2003
    I guess that's true Spacehunter, but DDH, you don't normally go to someone unarmed and say, " Do this or be destroyed!".

5. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Well, you could if you're a Jedi. :D Perhaps Luke was just confident that, with the lightsaber gone for backup, he could rely on his powers if anything got out of hand.

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Jabba's guards would have confiscated it from Luke. And if Luke tried to stop them then there was going to be a huge and an uneven fight. Luke's best hope of rescuing Han was to bargain, failing that, R2 had his lightsaber ready.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    If Luke went into the palace armed, Jabba's guards would have been on ultra high alert.

8. undergroundrar

undergroundrar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Ditto, I say.

One of my favorite scene's from Jedi as a kid was when R2 ejected the saber and Luke kicked it on. If he had walked in with it, this scene wouldn't exist, and that would be quite a bummer.

9. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Maybe that funky eyeball droid at the door could scan a person and detect the metal of the lightsaber even if it was concealed on a person, so Luke hid it in R2-D2 since he's made of metal and would then obscure the scan.

It's just a theory; I don't really have any evidence to support it though.

10. HanSolo69

HanSolo69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2003
    Also for the sake that he was trying to work his jedi mind tricks. He had to work elements of suprsie into it...plus dont you think R2 woulda liked to have shot that thing outta his head? He was working the drink carrier on the sail barge. Plus it would be counter intuative for luke to battle and risk lives with the lightsabre when his allies undercover wouldn't have been in a good position (boba fett and those other goons woulda screwed them over). THey had to be all spread out and use the jedi's best weapon...the element of suprise (I mean who would think that a droid would shoot a weapon to a jedi night in the sarlac pit...not me).

11. hawkbatty

hawkbatty Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2003
    I think the answer is partly a hope to avoid confrontation and partly overconfidence in his abilities. He was using this Jedi mind powers on EVERYONE! First the guards, then Bib Fortuna, and then on Jabba. Plus, notice that whole dark getup he had on? I think he was a little edgy in ROTJ. Cocky and brash, just because he'd made his first lightsaber and all. Wasn't expecting Jabba to be immune now was he?? And there's probably a TINY big of not wanting to hopefully bargain Han off Jabba's wall.

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm thinking more element of surprise. And you wouldn't want your new lightsaber taken from you after you just built it...

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I guess that's true Spacehunter, but DDH, you don't normally go to someone unarmed and say, " Do this or be destroyed!".

But actually, his first offer was, trade the droids for Han. After that, he attempted the mind trick. Then he went to ultimatums.

14. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Why didn't Luke bring is lightsaber to Jabba's Pallace
    I say RotJ again yesterday, and I was wondering. Why, instead of giving R2 his lightsaber, didn't he not take his lightsaber with him? Sure, the Rancor fight would be more dramatic, but it doesn't make sence

[[You might want to spell check your posts and thread titles before you begin.

Luke bring is[should be his]
    pallace[should be palace]
    I say ROTJ[should be saw]
    didn't he not[double negative]
    sence[should be sense]

Oh, to answer your question, because Lucas wrote it that way.]]

15. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    But actually, his first offer was, trade the droids for Han. After that, he attempted the mind trick. Then he went to ultimatums

I don't think Luke would have traded the droids to Jabba. I think he wanted to come out with Han and give nothing in return.

16. Joey-WanKenobi

Joey-WanKenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jan 7, 2002
    What does it matter? Everything worked out!

:D

17. Defiant07

Defiant07 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2003
    What do u mean u don't think he would have traded his droids to jabba. Are u a mind reader, if not please refrain from thinking, remember it is only a movie after all, please try not to get to carried away.

18. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Newbies! You gotta love'em.

19. SSD_Lusyanka

May 26, 2003
    OK, OK, sorry. BobaFrank, I was tired. it was 10:00 PM. PS Please close this.

20. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    No, I need to apologize. It's a good thread and good question. ;)

Anyway, my newbie comment was directed towards Difiant07. The guys got 5 total posts but yet wants to start criticising people like he's been here forever.

21. SSD_Lusyanka

May 26, 2003
    Nah it's ok. :)

22. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    What do u mean u don't think he would have traded his droids to jabba. Are u a mind reader, if not please refrain from thinking, remember it is only a movie after all, please try not to get to carried away.

Luke didn't want to part with R2 temporarily when he flew an X-wing at the battle of Yavin. R2's also been with the Alliance for a while, and probably has some pretty sensitive data (not to mention he carried the Death Star plans at one time). It doesn't make sense for Luke to then abandon both R2 and Threepio to Jabba. (Well, maybe Threepio... ;))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.