main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didnt Luke bring Leia to Anakin Skywalkers funeral?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mateo, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    This is kind of weird i mean Leia is Anakin's daughter and at the end of his life he loved both Luke and Leia for the first time,so then why didnt Luke honor him and return to the Ewok Village and then bring Leia to his Funeral Pyre so that she could watch his funeral as it happened?i know she went out there later in the EU but she never got to be there in person during Anakins actual funeral, she probably would have went willingly if luke had told her how he killed Palpatine and turned away from the Dark Side too.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think Leia would have ever of gone to Vader's funeral at the time of ROTJ. She hated the man, she wanted to kill him in fact. She remembers what he did to Aldeeraan, Han and even to herself. Those bad experiences don't die fast. . .

I can't blame Leia for not going to her "father's" funeral. Her father was not Anakin Skywalker, but Bail Organa as far as she was concerned. A father is not necessarily 1/2 of your "creator", but the one who was there for you during your life.

As far as Leia was probably concerned, Bail was always her father and will always be her father. She might be Vader's offspring, but she will never love the man or look at him as a father. An enemy he is to her.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It probably didn't cross his mind or he figured it was better for Leia to remain in a happy situation with Han.

4. Darkehelmet8907

Darkehelmet8907 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2003
    She has been fighting the man her whole life, she finds out about an hour before that he is her father... would you care?

5. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Meh.
    She had mommy, Luke got daddy.
    It works... I guess?

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Leia never would have been able to forgive him and accept him the way Luke did, since she wasn't a Jedi and wasn't given to that kind of sentiment. Plus, I think the funeral was also a way for Luke to come to terms with his personal demons and secure his status as a Jedi, so he needed to be alone.

7. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    I agree that she wouldn't have gone and that it was when Luke was securing his status as a The first of the New Jedi Order.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Leia wasn't ready to accept Anakin as her father yet.

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Only living Jedi were invited. ;)

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Vader, in some form or another, was responsible for these tragedies in Leia's life:

- the desctruction of her home planet of Aledraan
    - the death of her "father", family, and friends
    - the loss of Han to Jabba the Hutt for over a year
    - the near destruction of the Rebel Alliance, the group she's worked her entire life for

I doubt she was ready to feel sorrow for Vader ;)

11. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    That was a very personal, individual, sacred moment for Luke and for the saga. Dating back to ANH Luke had always been fascinated by his father and wanted to know more about him. His journey of discovering his father and avoiding his mistakes is key to the saga. At first he wanted to avenge him, then he wanted to save him. Eventually he does both. Even at the end, Luke still loved his father, despite all his flaws. He didn't need Leia there just so he could sense her mixed feelings.

12. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Leia was not ready to face that yet. I don't even think she really fully understood that being Luke's sister meant she was Anakin's daughter.

13. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I can't believe I never noticed this. :eek:

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. Darth_Rogue

Darth_Rogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    I pretty much agree that Leia wouldn't have wanted to be there because she still couldn't forgive him for all that he had done.

15. slidepiece38

slidepiece38 Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2003
    what concerns me is "why doesn't Luke look more like the guy from the "Green Mile" after he got electrocuted?

...god i love star wars!!

...i still cry when I hear the harp at the end of the "Funeral Pyre" song...

16. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I think that if Leia was at the funeral, she would have tossed a few grenades at the pyre. As said above, she loathed the guy.

17. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    How about this theory: Luke hates Leia! Observe his sinister look when he reveals that she is his sister. It´s as if he plans to do something terrible to her!
    That´s why he didn´t even tell her about the funeral. He wants her to suffer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.