main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Luke look for his lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by imapilotyoureapilot, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imapilotyoureapilot

imapilotyoureapilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2004
    As we've all seen many times, near the end of ESB Luke gets his hand cut off by Vader, and with it his lightsaber goes away (the lightsaber, if you recall, Obi Wan gave to him in ANH).

So when Luke falls down that shaft after the lightsaber, why didn't he find it down at the bottom? Shouldn't it have landed in pretty much the same spot Luke landed in? For that matter, shouldn't he have been able to find his hand as well? No need for a robot hand after that.

If for some reason Luke's lightsaber and hand didn't land near where he did, why couldn't he use the force to find either of them and bring them back to him? I know he couldn't lift an X-Wing (although I tend to think that Yoda might have been making the X-Wing heavier to make it more of a challenge to Luke), but surely he could've handled the weight of the hand and the lightsaber. And although we didn't think about it then, doesn't the fact that he lost a hand hurt his midicholoiran count?

And one final question...if Luke dies and becomes a force ghost, will he have his hand again?

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    when Luke finally stopped in the tube, assuming the hand and saber were there, they would have already fallen. Luke was there for about 3 seconds, it opened, and shut in about 5-10.

and yes, luke will have his real hand when he is a force ghost.

Anakin got his hair back at the end of ROTJ and got rid of that hideous scar, didn't he?

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's see, Luke loses his hand which had to hurt so I think where the lightsaber went was not on his mind.

Then there was that little moment where he finds out Darth Vader is his father. I'd assume that would be a tad distracting.

When he fell he got sucked into a vent, nothing showed that his hand and saber went in that particular vent, we have no idea where it went.

Also, Luke jumped from the scaffholding, he didn't fall, he jumped. He was either hoping to survive in some way--land somewhere soft, catch a handhold, get his wits together for some kind of Force usage to grab something--or else he was tying to kill himslef, sacrifice really, to get away and let his friends get away while vader was still there.

The last thing on his mind was the location of his saber.

4. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    They did land in the same place. If you watch carefully, you see his saber fall toward the clouds beneath when he lands on the weather rail after falling through the gate in the floor. Look closely, its there ;)

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    He was fighting for his life.

Lightsabers can be rebuilt

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Post me screen cap or something, I always thought that was some crumbled up garbage.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    At that point in time, Luke had lost his hand, and almost lost his life. At that point there were no adversaries for him to face off against, so finding his lost lightsaber would quite literally be the last thing he needed or wanted to worry about.

Even if he wanted to look for it, it would have been quite difficult. The tube he slid through when he landed seemed very deep. I doubt he could have gotten out of it. And his skills at that point weren't advanced enough where he could have called the lightsaber to himself, especially without the knowledge of knowing where it was.

8. bILLYgOAT

bILLYgOAT Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    I always thought that Luke was force-pushed into one of the side tubes by Vader in a final attempt to save him.
    look closely at the footage of Lukes fall and the way the camera angle twists in an odd way and the fact that the tube has windows scatterd around it supports this.

9. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    According to EU, Vader found his hand, created an evil clone named Luuke, and gave Luuke Luke's lightsaber. Then, Luuke was killed by Mara Jade, who took Luke's lightsaber as her own from Luuke's body.

Seriously, you cant make this stuff up.

10. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    i thought it was C'Baoth...or did he just take care of the Cloning Chamber

11. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Sep 26, 2003
    C'aboth guarded the chamber, and Luuke guarded him.

Seriouslly though...Luuke.....*shudder*....

12. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Is this Luuke stuff for real? :eek:

L8r

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    If you watch carefully, you see his saber fall toward the clouds beneath when he lands on the weather rail after falling through the gate in the floor.

MeBeJedi got a screencap of that at one point, and it's definitely not either the lightsaber or Luke's hand. It's a flat metallic panel-like thing. Assume it was random debris that fell into the ventilation.

14. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    okay, i knew C'Baoth was involved somehow. those were the first EU i read...so, it's kinda foggy now

15. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Sep 26, 2003
    Yeah, Luuke is real. He's one of thse GREAT EU characters like Jaxxon......

Yeah, that's it 4 me. I'm out. TTY guys l8r

16. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    You know, if I had my right hand chopped off and I was stuck in some tunnel, finding my lightsaber would NOT be my first priority...

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Interesting, I had always thought it was the lightsaber. Now I really am curious where the deuce Vader found it.

Oh and Vader did not make a clone of Skywalker. That was C'boath who guarded the cloning facility on Wayland. He acted against Grand Admiral Thrawn's wishes by creating that clone. Vader had nothing to do with it besides recovering the lightsaber and hand.

18. Darth Vince

Darth Vince Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2000
    "shouldn't he have been able to find his hand as well?"

That gets my vote for quote of the year. ROTFLMAO If you're serious, then that's the quote of the year. That woulda added alot to the end. Can you picture him hanging on for dear life with the hand between his teeth? And instead of "Leia, hear me" it would be "bleeeeaaaaaa!! mluah mluah!" Lando pulls up under him in the Falcon.."There he is!! What the hell! Is that a damn hand in his mouth???"

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [face_laugh]

No really, I laughed out loud at that!^^

Luke forgets he has it in his mouth*

"Blenn, Mmmwhy bibn't boo telb bmmee?"

20. Jedi_Defender_77

Jedi_Defender_77 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    LMFAO!!!! HA HA HA!!! I CAN SO PICTURE THAT!!

21. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    What if it were John Wayne Bobbit? Ewww, sorry throw the tomatoes now!

22. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    The hand was originally retrieved on the Emperor/Vader's orders.

C'Baoth then created the clone Luuke using the hand at the Wayland Fortress, which of course belonged to the Emperor.

23. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    There are dozens, possibly hundreds of smaller vents that are connected to the main ventilation shaft that runs down through the center of Cloud City. Luke's hand and lightsaber could have been sucked into anyone of these vents just like Luke himself was. Talk about a needle in a haystack.

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The hand and saber fell down a different shaft than Luke did. It ended up in a incinerator, similar to the room that Chewie found Threepio in. Vader found it there.

25. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    If you go by the EU, eventually that Lighsaber was recovered and Luke gets it back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.