main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Luke see R2 name printed on him?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Siths_Revenge, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    In TPM, Captain Panaka leans down and reads the name "R2-D2" off of the robot. When Luke was cleaning Artoo, did Luke happen to see the droid's name?

2. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe he did, and 3p0 didn't know it.
    Maybe he would have seen it when he fisted cleaning him, if he didnt run off.

So many reason/
    I like to know why on the Jawa's scancrawler, r2 and 3p0 seem to be the only ones with the bolt that keeps them from running off.

3. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Why would it matter if Luke saw the droids number on him?

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The line "Oh. And I am C-3PO, human-cyborg relations. And this is my counterpart, R2-D2." comes right when Luke is cleaning Artoo. Maybe Threepio made the introduction before Luke got that far on him.

Heck, he might not have cared enough to look up the guy's name to begin with. He's a droid, an appliance. They're not friends... yet.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I figured Owen found out the droids' names off of the Jawas, asking the sort of questions one would ask when buying used merchandise with 3PO's dialogue as the formal introduction, him being designed for etiquette and protocol.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I figured Owen found out the droids' names off of the Jawas

Doubtful. If he found out that a droid named C-3PO had shown up, I think he mighta started thinking that something was fishy.

He just refers to the droids as "that blue one", "that red one" and "you" anyway.

And why would the Jawas care to ask the droids' names to begin with?

Yes, all this is nitpicky, but so's the whole thread. We're SW message board posters -- it's our lot in life. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Panaka seems to be reading off a tag however, not an inscription on the droid itself. So in my mind it was always more of an inventory control tag that helps keep track of which droid is which.

8. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Chances are the droid designation was probably written in Naboo-ese, which Luke would be unlikely to be able to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.