main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didnt Obi and Yoda go after Palps and Anakin???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthMyBoy, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    I wasnt sure where to put this so I figured the Saga forum and I didnt see anything on this here so...

What I dont get right now is Why Obi-wan and Yoda didnt try to go and fight Palpatine and Anakin after the Jedi Purge, maybe Episode III will answer this, but as of right now they should have gone on a suicide mission to destroy the Sith rather then sitting on their backsides for 20 years

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    they had to protect the children.

3. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    Because basically the whole galaxy would be looking for them. The Empire has been formed. Palpatine wants the Jedi dead. All the soldiers in the Empire will obey Palpatine. The odds are not in their favor.

The Cloner

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hmmm...good question. I think that it would be difficult to even get to them.

Y'know, legions of stormtroopers, etc.

Plus, how would they know where exactly Palps and Vader are? Palps would probably be on Coruscant, but Vader could be anywhere.

Also, they had to think of the children (won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!?!).

Yoda says in ...ESB, I thought, but maybe it's ROTJ - "Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will."

It seems to be almost an admission by Yoda that he can't stand up to the Emperor, in terms of sheer power.

Yoda also seems to be getting pretty old, even in TPM. And I wonder if Obi-Wan will suffer any permanent-type injuries in The Duel with Anakin.

5. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    I agree that two people could not stand a chance against the newly formed Empire. They had to wait until the time was right (formation of the Aliance and Vader's kids growing up).
    As for the details, we'll just have to wait for Episode 3 and see...

6. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    They didn't go after them for the above reasons that the imperial forces would have made it impossible to get close to them. That was why Luke/Leia were integral to their plans. It wasn't cause they were more powerful, they weren't. It was because they were the only ones that could get close to Vader, without being killed. Their plan was to use Anakin's attachments to their advantage. Luke was set up to be an emotional bomb to get Anakin to reflect on his life and his choices. Their plan was to bring back Anakin and get him to do what only he was capable of: destroying Palpatine.

The OT is the reverse of he PT. In the PT, Palpatine is working in the shadows as a chess master manipulating all the pieces. In the OT, Yoda is the chess master working in secret to rid the galaxy of Palpatine.

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Because, as I expect to see in Episode III, Palpatine was too powerful for them. (Remember, this is Dooku's master, who Yoda couldn't/wouldn't defeat in AOTC.)

Their only hope was in the prophecy of the Chosen One- which wasn't much of a hope, as Anakin had turned his back on everything he had stood for and become Darth Vader. Their only chance was to force Vader to face his past life without the hatred that would inevitably come from being confronted by Obi Wan or Yoda and force him to admit- if only to himself- who he really was.

Enter Luke...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.