main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Obi Wan finish off Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Big-Papi, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big-Papi

Big-Papi Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2005
    Anakin was lying there with no legs and one arm and Obi Wan just walks away. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Obi Wan to kill him so he wouldn't become the Vader we came to know later?:oops:

Announcement: PLEASE NOTE! Threads pertaining solely to Episode III belong in the ROTS forum.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Obi-Wan is still there when Anakin bursts into flames. I'm sure at that point, Kenobi figured Anakin was dead.

Maybe he just couldn't bring himself to deliver the death blow.

3. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Obi-Wan won the fight. Once he closes down his lightsaber and then picks up Anakin's, there's nothing more to do but express his love to his former apprentice and tell him how wrong he was. He had no intention of killing Anakin.

4. Lord_Alved_Pepom

Lord_Alved_Pepom Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    It's pretty un-Jedi like to attack a helpless man.

5. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I pretty much agree with GARTH_MAUL. People generally don't survive being consumed by flames, especially in the state Anakin was in. And I thought Obi-Wan had made it very clear that he didn't want to kill Anakin - he tried to convince Yoda to allow him to face the Emperor, and he tried to talk some sense into Anakin - even up to the point right before he delivered that crippling blow, he was trying to stop Anakin from pressing the fight with his "high ground" comment. Obi-Wan did his duty, like he said he would, but he really didn't want to and just couldn't bear to kill Anakin or watch him die, so he left him for dead.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't think it would have been un-Jedi like to finish off Anakin instead of leaving him to burn and die a slow death, unless Obi Wan was having a sadistic moment and figured that Anakin needed to die a painful death for falling to the darkside. A quick thrust to the heart would have done the trick.

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I don't think it was as much of Obi-Wan thinking he's dead as it is that it's not the Jedi way. Obi-Wan struck Anakin down and the battle was over. There was no need for any more damage to be done.

For example, in The Phantom Menace when Darth Maul stabbed Qui-Gon, he didn't die immediately, but did Maul chop him up after that point regardless? No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.