main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Obi-Wan or the Jedi Council figure it out?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    During the course of Episode II, Obi-Wan tracks the bounty hunter Jango Fett to Kamino where he learns that an army for the Republic has been made in secret without the permission of the Jedi Council. Obi-Wan then follows Jango to Genosis where the Separatists are.

Surely Obi-Wan should of been able to realise that the enemy created the clone army for some sinister purpose. The person that is the original host of the clones was hired to assassinate Padme and lead Obi-Wan to Genosis where the separatists and Count Dooku were? Shouldn't this raise alarm bells? Yes, without the use of the army they would of lost the war but there isn't even a hint of anyone realising what is happening. Even Master Yoda, who becomes master of the obvious in the Prequels, doesn't even share a thought.

There is no doubt that Obi-Wan should of made the connection. He knew the face of Jango Fett on Kamino and the face of the clones in Revenge of the Sith. Was this in part poor storytelling, something that isn't important to the story or something I have completely missed?

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think it's fairly obvious that the Jedi do realize something is up and are wary of the clones, the army, the Senate and the Chancellor. However, they have been manipulated into a position where they have no choice but to go along. They are on guard and searching for the Sith Lord who is orchestrating everything and trying to understand his plot.

Yoda also mentions that it is not a victory that takes place on Geonosis. Think deeply about what Yoda's line means. Why doesn't he consider the defeat of the Separatist leaders on Geonosis a victory? Seems to be he is wary of the clones here as well as when he says "Visit I will the cloners on Kamino and see this army they have created for the Republic." His tone of voice and inflection when he says "this army" says it all, in my book.

3. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Interesting quote from Lucas from several years back:

"In The Phantom Menace one of the Jedi Council already knows the balance of The Force is starting to slip, and will slip further. It is obvious to this person that The Sith are going to destroy this balance. On the other hand a prediction which is referred to states someone will replace the balance in the future. At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces. All of this shall be explained in Episode 2, so I can't say any more!"

Explained in Episode II?

Who was "this person" to whom it was "obvious"? Yoda?

4. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Yoda also mentions that it is not a victory that takes place on Geonosis. Think deeply about what Yoda's line means. Why doesn't he consider the defeat of the Separatist leaders on Geonosis a victory?"

Because Count Dooku escaped and Yoda believed he will rally more systems to his cause, thus extending the bloody war between the Separatists and the Republic?

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well then to answer your question, this is something you have completely missed, IMHO.

6. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Who was "this person" to whom it was "obvious"? Yoda?

I'd say Sifo-Dyas or Dooku, but they weren't on the council in TPM.

7. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Well then to answer your question, this is something you have completely missed, IMHO."

I'm sorry but you've confused me. [face_worried] What do you mean?

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Was this in part poor storytelling, something that isn't important to the story or something I have completely missed?

9. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I for one think that when Yoda and Mace heard Sifo-Dyas named being mentioned as having ordered the clones, they should definitely have known something was not right concerning these clones.

The reason I say this, is because as Obi-Wan said, Sifo-Dyas was murdered, as he told Taun We and Lama Su, then when he contacted Yoda and Mace, he says to them, it was my understanding that he was killed.

So if Sifo-Dyas was truly murdered, then when Yoda and Mace heard his name, then in my opinion they should have surely thought this was the work of the Sith. The look Yoda and Mace gave one another when they heard Sifo-Dyas name showed they knew something was not right about these clones.

My question is, if Sifo was murdered, were the Jedi still investigating his death?

But they never got to go any further since Obi-Wan was not able to apprehend Jango, and then he wasc aptured on Geonosis. So then it was too late to investigate further once Yoda brought the clones to Geonosis to save the remaining Jedi. Then the war started, and it was then too late to unravel the mystery, and of course look what transpires in ROTS.

"They'll do their job, I guarantee it"--Jango-AOTC

Darth Sin! :cool:

10. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I'd say Sifo-Dyas or Dooku, but they weren't on the council in TPM.

That doesn't make sense, and Dooku was never even on the council

It had to be Yoda that GL was referring to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.