main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why didn't Obi-Wan use a Jedi mind trick on General Loathsom?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Do they not work on Kerkoidens?

2. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Maybe not, that's probably the in-universe explanation if there is one.

The real one...the writers didn't think of it. Plus if a Jedi could use a mind trick on all the enemy Generals this war wouldn't be real interesting or exciting.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Perhaps he just is not weakminded- he is not very bright but maybe he is not easy to manipulate that way- and Obi-Wan thought it was enough to play some time so Anakin and Ahsoka could take the shield down.....

remember that mindtricks work only for weakminded- not all separatists are automatically weakminded....

4. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Agreed with Swash, Jedi mind tricks are gonna work on the grunts and those who just take orders, but probably not so much on generals and higher ranking military officials.

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    If he had mind-tricked Loathesome there would have been no real conflict for the viewer.

6. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    i bet he was too busy playing pazaak in his head.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably he was not a weak-minded. Isn't this the more obvious explanation?

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was under the impression Obi-Wan was wasted during this whole part of the battle.

9. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Perhaps he didn't want to risk it with so many droids who would be immune to mind tricks and might have been prepared to take action.

But my guess is, he really wanted any excuse he could get to drink some tea. :p

10. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Not to mention these scenes are all weird, I don't know if it's because of the editing or budget reasons but it just felt off. One second Obi-Wan, Rex and the clones jump into battle and about 10 seconds later they're retreating and about 20 seconds after that Obi-Wan "surrenders."

Not to mention the more obvious question, where the hell did Cody go? He wasn't seen at all after the initial wave. He wasn't with them when they were going over strategies and he wasn't fighting or in the last stand by the cannons.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't think there were any more problems than usually in this series.... but Cody disappears bit oddly yes... anyway i didn't think it was that weird- they just were outnumbered and they retreated and Obi-Wan "surrendered" simple...

12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I get the impression Jedi mind-tricks work on few... especially when we are viewing this galaxy from the ?higher levels?. All the conflict takes place between these powerful and tactical people... basically most of the Generals, politicians, bounty hunters, gangsters and Force-wielders aren?t weak minded.

We have only really ever seen it used on the ?grunts? or ?underworld drunks? in this universe... like the clones/stormtroopers (perhaps their cloning removes some form of ability to repel it) and people in bars and stuff...

13. JediRaanic

JediRaanic Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2001
    I think the writers would say "the General is a General and therefore not weak-minded." I would assume this to be true as he is a General and not a lowly stormtrooper/clonetrooper

-JR

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    clones are made to "take any order without question" it definitely removes natural barriers to avoid mindcontrol.... Bib Fortuna was weakminded as well as Boss Nass though.... Gungans probably are pretty easy and Bib was just bit weakminded- after all he is a servant.....
    But remember Loathsome was wary of mindtrick- he said "Don't try any of your tricks jedi!" o_O so Obi-Wan decided to gain his trust by not trying to do his tricks.. if he fails he looses the possibility of negotiations to play time for Anakin and Ahsoka....it was just not a good time for mindtrick...

15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I?m not sure Loathsome would have know if a Jedi mind trick would work on him... he wouldn?t unless it had happened to him before... there is great mysticism which surrounds the Jedi?s abilities and as such they would be wary of them never-the-less.

As for Bib and Boss Nass... well Bib is obviously weak-minded (he is, after all, some underworld servant)... and Boss Nass... well to be honest I don?t know... maybe Gungans are just idiots ;)...

...just kidding, Jar Jar is a good bloke[:D]

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I just pointed out that writers remembered jedi can trick people- and apparently Loathsome was not like Watto, Jabba or Poggle - and sure he is immune.....

being "weakminded" is not same as being stupid or worse or lesser person in any sense- it is just bad what comes to mindtricks- but one can train himself/herself to resist them better even if happens to be born as "weakminded".... gungans are naturally different than humans for example- they are more honest- believe easily in lies- much like small children...... someone might say they're bit 'stupid' because they are easy to fool by cunning lies.... but it's better to be honest and "stupid" like Jar Jar than wise and evil liar like Palpatine[face_peace] - 'real stupidity' is there in the evil because it is path for unavoidable destruction... so at the end Jar Jar was not as stupid as Palpatine after all:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.