main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Why didn't Palpatine bother taking out the Jedi Order sooner rather than Protocol / Order 66?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The Sith Camp, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    I came to wondering in the Clone Wars Lost Missions - Palpatine is aware somewhat of Master :yoda: in sense given his condition and how he performed the nasty arcane Sith Ritual with Count Dooku and how he declared it would claim and destroy Master :yoda: BUT I was wondering then WHY did he bother with Order / Protocol 66? WHY didn't he just strike into the heart of the Jedi Council or Order well before the Clone Wars then? I mean why not just perform this on Anakin or well the lesser members of the Jedi Council sooner eh? Plus the fact how Palpatine always wanted to claim Anakin and any Powerful Sith Apprentices or future allies or recruits for his Dark Side Adepts ...

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The time after the Clone Wars gave him the perfect amount of time to turn Anakin, as well as spread the Jedi out and place them alongside clones. Thus he could quite easily destroy the majority of the Jedi.

I'm sure he could have attempted something sooner, but with thousands of Jedi existing, his plan was the best. It was fairly foolproof and very efficient. All it required was planning and patience.

Falcon likes this.
  3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    The sooner he revealed himself the sooner the Jedi Council would've acted. He planned it to kill the Jedi in one swift stroke.

4. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    He needed to lead enough Jedi away from Coruscant, and then have an apprentice ready to strike at the Temple after the Masters left on Coruscant were taken out. Also pass enough laws to be able to name himself emperor without being rebuked at the Senate. It took five years to get to that moment, could've taken a lot longer.

5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    The reasons that previous posts explained and also Jedi needed to trust Clones for a while in order to execute Order 66 swiftly, that also requires some time.

And he couldn't defeat the all Jedi Order no matter how much powerful he really is, they are just too many to handle, therefor Order 66 was extremely needed trick.

The Sith Camp likes this.
  6. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

AH! But with well Master Yoda and Mace Windu aside - but didn't he in both the Canon and EU display the ability to school and troll quite a few Force Users - and well let's see being able to Force Choke Count Dooku to submission over a Hologram as a mere 'warning', schooling and trolling Darth Maul and Savage Opress, and if we count Son of Dathomir - well taking on Mother Talzin and well later schooling trolling her, taking on and killing Agen Kolar, Saesee Tinn and Kit Fisto ... with Mace Windu being really the only viable threat and challenge ...

And surely he could have performed some similar trick in a sense on Mace Windu as well right? I mean Count Dooku and Mace Windu must have also known one another one time in life as fellow Jedi Masters ... and hence Palpatine could have taken advantage of this ...

And the fact he did bother to try to 'strike the heart and soul of the Jedi Order' - practically for the matter Master :yoda: being one of them for sure ...

7. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    He needed a proper apprentice. Only Anakin was strong enough to decimate the entire Jedi temple, even killing Jedi Battle Master Cin Drallig. Granted, I don't think he would have won had the entire Jedi council been there to stop him, but Palps kinda took care of that first.

The Sith Camp likes this.
  8. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I often wondered why GL cut those six month before the massive Jedi Purge out of the PT, where Anakin had already turned and was secretly killing Jedi that would cause great trouble for Sidious, but it worked out in the end for the Saga to show it all in a swift move.

9. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Wouldn't PRONG KRELL have been a nice runner up though? I mean Anakin - I'm rather not impressed by the fact how Anakin STUPIDLY half-baked himself on Mustafar - and was reduced to being later :vader: ... rather pitiful - I mean WHY FOR SOME ONE WHO HAS THE POWER AND POTENTIAL TO BE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL FORCE USERS - HE COULDN'T EVEN ATLEAST DO WHAT DARTH MAUL OR DARTH SION OR DARTH NIHILUS OR LORD SIMUS HAD DONE ...

10. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    He was what, hours into his Dark Side training? He lost his temper and made some VERY stupid decisions. He could have beaten Kenobi, had he kept his cool. They may have been neck and neck when it came to dueling, but Anakin was leagues ahead of Kenobi in terms of raw Force power.

11. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    I always like to note that, despite being an oppressive police state, the Empire needed public support to establish itself as undisputed power. Palpatine was slowly steering the public with the war to be suspicious of jedi and wary of the weaknesses of the Republic. He didn't want to claim the throne as conquering tyrant, but be welcomed as a hero, or else overwhelming resistance would quickly depose him. Exhibit A: The "thunderous applause" in the senate when he declares the Empire's formation.

12. Count Malvern

Count Malvern Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2015

The only reason Palpatine was able to get off the Force Choke is because Count Dooku wasn't expecting it. If he had been he would've had his force barrier up. The Clone Wars takes alot of the things from the EU and spits on it while nerfing most characters. If it had no effect on the EU and was just the cartoon itself I would be fine with it. But with all the bland storylines and pointless retcons the show was quite frankly a mess. So instead of thinking about it from a EU sort of way think of the cartoon as a completely separate entity from the Legends canon. As any of the characters comic, and book counterparts would absolutely stomp the characters from the cartoon. Pong Krell would've gotten his butt beat by people like Assaj Ventress, and Obi-Wan from the comics. SAVAGE OPRESS is GARBAGE! They had no use for him besides thinking. "OH hey this might be cool throw him in" They did nothing with his story besides bring back Maul and then he was basically thrown to the side. HE is not powerful he's a simple blunt tool with no skill whatsoever when compared to the EU characters.

Now that my rant is over. Palpatine is the most powerful Sith as stated, however that does not mean he can't be beaten. especially when you take his skills and such into account. He was actually trying to beat Windu but due to the SuperConducting loop that was created with Vaapad he couldn't get the upperhand. Yoda once again put Palpatine on his backfoot and caused the Sith Lord some worry. The only reason he wins so much is because of his overwhelming force power. He even counted Dooku among the ones that could defeat him. Darth Caedus, Exar Kun, Bane, Vitiate, and Krayt are all other characters that could face Palpatine and edge out a victory depending on the battle, surroundings, strategies and such.

Lets take a different team of Force Users for Example. Let's say Jaina Solo took Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Kyp and Durron faced Palpatine in his office... Dude would get his **** wrecked. Why? Because these jedi are tooled and made for engagements such as this. None of the jedi that Mace took with him were actually skilled and tooled for such combat against one opponent. Especially not one as fast as Palpatine and powerful in the force. Just because Palpatine beats A and that person can possibly beat B does not make it to where Palpatine can automatically beat B. Lightsaber duels all come down to a specific form, strategy, and surroundings.

13. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I've always thought that the NJO Jedi were superior to the Prequel Era Jedi, simply because they were trained for combat. I firmly believe that Corran Horn would rival many of the greatest swordsmen in the Prequel Era. I believe he would equal Obi-Wan.

14. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014

But you have to also consider a whole lot of the old order's knowledge was lost. There's more to combat as a force sensitive than just martial arts and physical ability. A lot of force knowledge is used to make them better fighters as well. The order's destruction with order 66 is comparable to the destruction of the old sith empire under Naga Sadow. The sith spent the rest of their existence scowering Korriban and other places to recover the lost knowledge from the sith golden age, and never succeeded in recovering all of it.

15. Count Malvern

Oct 29, 2015

Even with the force the NJO jedi outclassed the Clone Wars era jedi except for the very best of the best. We've even seen Kyp Durron accomplish telekinetic feats that were on par with yoda if not above. We've seen Jacen Solo absorb turbolaser fire, and even then look at the Vong war. Jedi of the Clone Wars era had problems with droids and regular humanoids they could use the force on. They would've gotten wrecked by the Vong yet the jedi of the NJO took on swaths of them and were fewer in number than the CW era jedi.

Silas Nightstalker likes this.
  16. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    The Prequel Era Jedi were not trained to be warriors, although as stated above, Jedi like Yoda, Windu, and some of the Jedi Council were awe-inspiring as combatants.

17. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014

Cilghal, Tionne and Kam weren't that impressive however. Luke, Kyp, Kyle and Corran were the Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan and Anakin equivalents. If you take away the fact that Leia and Han were breeding up way more Chosen Ones for them they seem much more comparable.

RabidBunny likes this.
  18. Count Malvern

Oct 29, 2015

You're right those three aren't that impressive as some of the other NJO jedi, but even then they have done some impressive things with all three of them being thought by Luke to be only a few steps behind Kyle Katarn in combat prowess. Which I think Kyle Katarn could possibly take Mace Windu in a fight. It would be incredibly close but at least half the time if not a bit more Kyle would come out ahead of Mace. People think that because Mace took on Palpatine and held his own that means he can take on anyone. It's simply not true. He was being amped through Palpatine's darkness and Vaapad creating a loop that continually made him stronger. He wouldn't get such a amp on almost any other Sith besides Nihlus, and Vitiate. Yea the Solo children were OP to all hell. Just imagine Anakin solo if he had lived, or Jacen if he had lived. They would've put Anakin skywalkers feats to shame.

19. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with much of Anakin Skywalker. Mace was FAR more impressive to me.

20. Count Malvern

Oct 29, 2015

Anakin Skywalker has done some impressive feats Force wise, and I mean really impressive. While Mace is hands down a great lightsaber duelist. I find that people overrate him a bit to much though. AS they always say "He fought Palpatine and won" But what they overlook is that his form was basically made to fight Sith. While feeding off his own excitement Mace was also feeding off Palpatine's dark side energy and channeling it back at him.The more power Palpatine used the more Mace got stronger, then when Anakin arrived Mace fed off him as well. That form wouldn't work so well on other Sith because not many outside of Sidios, Nihlus, and Vitiate gave off the dark side energy like a Nexus. If Mace were to confront a sith say like Darth Bane, or Caedus, he may win but those fights would be hard fought. Especially since Caedus was said to be on par with DE Sidious' speed and Mace wouldn't be able to get an amp off him.

21. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I feel like Anakin from The Clone Wars was impressive. The movies, not as much. He was depicted as being much wiser, and obviously we saw a lot of combat feats from him in the animated series. I'm not hating on the prequels, but I really feel like they wasted so much potential in the movie version of Anakin. Until the final duel, I was never really in awe of him.

22. Count Malvern

Oct 29, 2015

As far as the TCW cartoon series directed by Dave filoni and such I find that they nerfed almost every character and some of the plotlines were so contrived and filled with bs that it stopped making sense. Yes it did have some good episodes but I mucg preferred the 2d cartoon that showed how powerful FU's were instead of being incredibly ****** as in the TCW. Also the comics based in teh clone wars was better than anything the cartoon brought to the table and showed feats for Anakin and for plenty of other characters.

23. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    And that's what makes it so hard to figure out what canon is/was with the Clone War era...2 different shows, several books, comics, and the movies...it's hard to distinguish the timeline.

24. Count Malvern

Oct 29, 2015

Well if you're talking current canon I think The first cartoon series is apart of Legends now, and the newer cartoon is canon. While all the comics and books written before are now Legends except those stated otherwise. My personal canon is that I don't care about what Disney says or puts out Legends is way better. Disney has watered down Star Wars and Kidified it in my eyes while stealing plots and such from the EU. When it would've just been easier to make movies off the EU material. However we all know JJ Abrams wouldn't touch something that he couldn't reboot and do his own way. -_-

25. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm still upset that they aren't doing the Vong War. That would have been INSANE.

RabidBunny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.