main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Didn't Palpatine Control the Minds of the Senators?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    This.

2. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Because he would have to maintain that mind control.

3. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

Why not?

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Because..

Andy Wylde and mratm23 like this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think he did use mind control, but not in a massive way, where he had to control hundreds at a time. But then again, Dooku did mention that he had hundreds of Senators under his control, so who knows if the Sith can or can't do that. I would like to think they can. Hence the fear of one controlling the Senate. The problem is, something that vast would set off a lot of bells, too. I myself think he did use the dark side from time to time, but on a personal, face to face level - especially when he had to get certain Senators to side with him. Sure, he probably used good old fashioned politics and bs. But being this evil bastard and having the dark side at his disposal would probably be something that he would relish using, anway. :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014

This.

Even during the reign of the Empire, most people in the galaxy had no idea Palpatine was a Sith or even a Force user at all, and that is how it needed to be. It also allows things to go an interesting direction in the ST being that the galaxy likely still held the Jedi responsible for the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire. They probably won't be seen as the good guardians and protectors they were prior to the Clone Wars.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    well he dis manipulate them of course in a more traditional sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I was not referring to manipulation, but rather direct mind control. This is something that Palpatine did not have to use to influence the Senate to declare him Emperor.

9. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    That's what o meant that he didn't have to use mind co tell and even if he tried it'd be too difficult to do it without cSuing suspicion.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Jedi Kao Cen Darach

Jedi Kao Cen Darach Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2014
    It would also seem suspicious if suddenly, peaceful hippie-senators blindly voted for war...

Kapgre'tak and Jedi_SateleShan like this.
  11. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Exactly that's what I thought

12. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Still think my idea on the first page is the best reason why. There were numerable reasons why he didn't (if he even could), but with the senate under his command, what is an empire without loyal subjects? Why didn't Palpatine ditch the clone army idea and just invade the defenseless republic with the CIS droid army? Because Palpatine couldn't effectively rule the galaxy just as a conqueror. He needed to win public support; for the greater galaxy to see him as a savior from a merciless enemy and an ineffective government.

13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
  14. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Because he was busy.

Pax Sithus likes this.
  15. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014

Well said. Powerful in the Manipulation the Emperor is.

Vialco likes this.
  16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    The emperor had no need to control the senate wealth & greed did that.

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Palpatine may be a master manipulator, but even he's not capable of outright mind control. Not to mention, as some people have brought up, that he'd probably have to maintain this control over a very extended period of time. Not to mention, this would probably attract the attention of the Jedi.

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Or...

"Members of the Senate of the Galactic Republic, why don't you pass the time by playing a game of solitaire?"

19. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    There is absolutely some form of mind control going on. There are many weak minded senators that he would use it on, but I think it is most clear on Mas Amedda during TPM as he leans over talking to Amidala. Some would argue how could he use the force and the Jedi not know, but to me he either mind controls them, or offers them power and riches if they go along with him. I always love the scene now in AOTC when he stands up to address the senate after Jar Jar gives him emergency powers and his eyes go from yelowish to normal. I remember reading a post from someone on these boards about it and walla..he does it.

20. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    True - but isn't Palpatine more or less by the time of ROTS he was the SUPREMO OMNIPOTENT POWERFUL POWER EMPEROR OF THE GALACTIC EMPIRE by then and something like that - so surely also the fact Palpatine was a powerful Sith Lord and certain Sith Lords or Force Users are capable of incredible feats ... given look at say Darth Nihilus whom was able to weaken Force Users with just his words or where he could drain worlds of energy Galactus-style ...

21. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Then again - perhaps Palpatine subtly did so - consider - by ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi remarked how Palpatine was practically using the Senate as nothing more than a gaming round to gain and consolidate his wins - which were essentially more and more Emergency Powers and such ... plus then the fact how Palpatine claimed how he was 'a savior' rather than a Sith Monster ... and the fact how his 'popularity' in the Naboo Blockade, Separatist Crisis and the Clone Wars ... where Palpatine's 'kindly grandfather, caring image' won the 'hearts and souls' of many ... plus the fact how Palpatine by the time of Anakin's conversion to the Dark Side had pretty much more or less consolidated his decades long plans and carrying out the fruition of the Sith Grand Scheme set by Darth Bane ... and the fact how Padme sadly remarked on the 'death of Democracy' ... and the fact how the Senate by then more or less prior to the end of the Clone Wars was pretty much under Palpatine's rule anyhow ... although then again Palpatine may have subtly used the Dark Side of the Force to convert them to bend to his will abit more ... given how the Imperial Navy and Forces were pretty much fighting in tandem until his death on the Death Star ...