main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Palpatine have the Jedi Temple destroyed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Joshy, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    At the end of Return of the Jedi, we see the Jedi Temple in the distance during the celebration scene. Why is it still there?

After declaring himself Emperor, and branding the Jedi as traitors to the Republic, it would have been totally easy for him to have the temle demolished...a spectacular way to complete the revenge of the Sith.

Why would he leave it in place?

2. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    I've heard people say that the Emperor used the Jedi Temple as luxury apartment complexes for people who were loyal to him. I don't know if this explanation is canon, though.

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    http://boards.theforce.net/The_Star_Wars_Saga/b10456/21435226/?7

4. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005
    This is a different subject, this is about why Palpatine didn't destroy the temple, your link leads to a thread about the Sith fixing the temple.

I know Palpatine didn't use the temple for his own palae. He had a giant pyramid shaped palace built on Coruscant, according to the Expanded Universe

5. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I think he probably though it was great for him, who killed all the jedi, tolive in the place they use to live. That would be a good pay back for him having to be so nice to them for all those years, it definetely would seem likes something Palps would do. If that was really what Palps did I wonder if Vader went into the temple?

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Yes I don't think it makes much sense for the temple to still be around, perhaps if it looked a little different and we could imagine what we see in ROTJ being a Sith temple instead it might work better.

I can't think of many reasons Palpatine would keep it around, maybe he thought remaining Jedi would go back there for some reason (like Obi-Wan and Yoda in ROTS) and it would be a good place to trap them, or if the temple contained vital information, artifacts, holocrons etc...[face_thinking]

7. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    I can see a reason to keep it around: the archives. It's possible that they couldn't be moved and theres just to much valuable info in there to just chuck in the dumpster. Plus we don't ahve any clue as to what other secrets are contained within the temple. For all we know there could be labs, other archives, etc, that Palaptine thought were worth the modest effort of keeping in one piece.

Plus there is the cultural side of it. Look at ANH, Tarkin calls the Jedi a "religion"-- so does Han. It is possible that the Jedi "faith" had expanded out past just the order proper and into the common population. So, in order to keep people on his side, Palpatine would want avoid destroying one of the major religous sites of that faith-- basically him destroying it would be like the USA blowing up the Vacitcan (sp) cause of some falling out between the Gov and the Pope.

8. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    In the star wars infinities : A new hope comic book we see Palpatine living in the Jedi Temple , mainly in jedi council room area.Don´t forget thatthe temple it´s one of , if not the greatest building in Coruscant, it´s almost a fortress.

9. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Well, McDiarmid said the one redeemable feature of Palpatine was his love for the Fine Arts. Most likely, there were a lot of peaces of art in the Jedi Temple, not to mention the holocron archives, which to reconstruct would've cost an immense amount of time and credits. The holochron archives alone were worth to be preserved. Palpatine's a highly educated man, not a street villain. He values knowledge. According to EU sources, he's been an author of many scholary books. He wouldn't destroy the equivalent of the "Library of Alexandria" in the GFFA.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He didn't destroy the temple because there is a lot of useful information in there. Why destroy an information source that has thousands of years of knowledge, when you can use it to your advantage.

11. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    The Archives. Like AlphaTrion-TJW said they probably couldn't be replicated or moved. And Palpatine does seem to have an apreciation for artwork as seen in Shadows of the Empire and in the Prequels. So he probably just left the Temple intact as a monument to his glorious trimuph over the Jedi Order and out of necesity.

12. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    It's meant to be as a derogatory insult to the Jedi legacy...I mean to have the legendary Jedi Temple RULED by a dark lord of the Sith is the ultimate slap in the face.

13. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005

REAL rite.

*HA HA HA HA HA I PWND THEM, WATCH IT ALL >DDDDDDDDDD*

14. Froggy22651

Froggy22651 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2005
    It's a trophy. A very, very big trophy. A prize for his victory over the Jedi. It makes Palpatine all warm and tingly inside to take a look at that big temple and remember crushing all its former occupants.

15. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Silly answer: He likes strip down to his underwear, put on sme shades, and dance in the councile chamber (ala Tom Cruise in Risky Business) to some on Bob Seger tunes.

16. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Froggy22651 posted on 9/8/05 7:06pm
    It's a trophy. A very, very big trophy. A prize for his victory over the Jedi. It makes Palpatine all warm and tingly inside to take a look at that big temple and remember crushing all its former occupants. [hr][/blockquote]

Indeed, it's his ultimate symbol of complete victory. He can sit in the Council chamber and reflect on how he WON, how he is in charge and the poor Jedi fools are dead. Hell, if I was him, I'd have done the same thing. [face_tongue]

17. Darth_Joshy

Aug 29, 2005
    I can see why he would keep it for the archieves.

I would have thought that he would have at least redocorated the entire building to give it more of a Sith look.

18. DreddRevan

DreddRevan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    I wonder if Palpatine ever thought or believed the rumors that the temple was haunted.

Jay

19. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Sidious could've also left it there as a threat to everyone. Sort of like a "You-saw-what-I-did-to-the-Jedi-so-fear-me" kind of thing.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Possibly.

21. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001

I still think he turned it into the Imperial Palace. The place already looked like a palace for the Jedi. That would have been the ultimate disgrace to the Jedi. The Sith sitting their big butts in the Jedi's own temple. :D

22. Darth_Watermelon

Darth_Watermelon Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2005
    He didn't destroy it because he wanted to keep it as a reminder to the people that he wiped out the jedi and he is the evil bad guy who kills people.

ps. I rule the internet

23. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    Because it would take millions of construction workers to take it down...........and that would not be very wise thing to waste money destroying a temple which doesn't have to be destroyed.

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm pretty sure the Temple wasn't made into the Imperial Palace...but I do like how in the EU Luke and everyone else lived in the Palace after retaking Coruscant as a reverse slap in the face to Palpatine =P

25. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001

But we didn't see any Imperial palace on Coruscant in ROTJ. All we saw was Republica plaza and the statue of Palpatine being toppled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.