main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Palpatine just ambush Luke at Jabba's Palace?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by drg4, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that Mara was sent to kill Jabba under Sidious' command, but I don't remember anything about it being at the same time Luke was at the Palace.

2. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    In the Starwars book Heir to the Empire Mara Jade met Luke Skywalker and told him that the Emperor sent her to Jabba's palace to kill him. I forgot why she said it didn't happen.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Because she wasn't allowed on the sail barge. That's actually a short story in Tales form Jabba's Palace. Silly explanation, but what else are they gonna do...

4. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    Ah, I see. I probably just read up on this on Wookieepedia at some point. I know I never read any of the actual literature behind it.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, me too. The EU can be so damn silly sometimes, the most I can usually make myself do is read the summaries on Wookieepedia... and then decide how many grains of salt to take it with. :p

6. Slowburn

Apr 22, 2010
    Very true. [face_laugh]

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I seem to remember Luke having a dream/vision of what would have happened if Mara was able to get on the sail barge in one of the novels after Mara told him that she was supposed to kill him on Tatooine. In this dream/vision, Mara caught Luke's saber instead of him and she killed him..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think Palpatine was trying to test Vader to a degree. I don't think Palpatine could ever forsee his eventual doom but Vader was running off different vibes. He wasn't acting in his prime as he was in ESB. Meeting Luke definatly screwed with his head

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Playing mind games with each other is what Sith do. Its all just part of being a Sith. :p

10. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    Because it would've been too easy for him and that wouldn't have been much of a challenge.

11. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Zahn retcons it so that he tries to but fails. They should've added Mara into the Special Edition.

12. TheDarkSideAreThey

TheDarkSideAreThey Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2004
    Palpatine is a patient guy, just like the events leading up to Order 66. He knows the Force will eventually bring Luke to him or to Vader, so there's no need for a preemptive strike. He set the bait for his trap, and it really almost worked. I might have been overconfident too if I was dealing with the equivalent of a Jedi padawan, his sister that hasn't picked up a stick with the Force, her smuggler boyfriend, his Wookiee, a couple of droids and the Care Bears.

13. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Well, Palps and Vader probably knew that Luke would try to rescue Han (I have forseen it), and if he succeeded, then one of three things: The Empire can crack down on Jabba for aiding and abetting wanted rebels and terrorists, Jabba and his ilk are killed and breaks the back of one of the biggest crime rings in the galaxy, or Luke is killed and therefore not worth being an apprentice to one of such power and ability of the Great Lord Sidious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.