main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why didn't Palpatine punished Vader for the Death Star explosion?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BedlamSpirit, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BedlamSpirit

BedlamSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2011
    Is this ever addressed? Considering how big of a blow it was, I am surprised Palpatine didn't punished him.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Wasn't Vader personally maimed and tortured by Palpatine?

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    That sounds like some Zahn or KJA stuff right there.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Mara said that Vader's hand was removed by Palpatine after the destruction of the PT, but that was before the PT came out and Dooku cut Anakin's hand off. So he was punished...by Palpatine cutting off his already-cyborg hand, which he's lost at least three times now.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Indeed. In Dark Force Rising, Mara tells Luke that Vader lost his hand because of the Death Star destruction. Not that this is much of a punishment, as Vader loses his hand every other Thursday.

I have seen some interesting retcons, though. My favorite is that the Vader losing his hand incident actually referred to when he lost it in Splinter in the Mind's Eye, and Palpatine just told Mara that he took it as a warning.

Either that or Palpatine was trolling Vader, having foreseen that he could take Vader's hand, give him a new one, and he'd lose it again shortly after.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, Vader did yell "ARGGGHHHH!!!" when Luke cut off his hand in ROTJ, and was visibly weakened afterwards, so there was possibly some tactile sense in his arm. The real question is and what'll bake your noddle, is the hand that Palpy took his original Clone Wars era model or his post-Mustafar cybernetic limb model other arm/hand?

I'd see it as Palpy took away his Clone Wars era mechanical hand, taking away yet another piece of Anakin Skywalker. Maybe Palps thought that was punishment.

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    just how many spare gloves does he have lying around? and which is THE real GLOVE OF DARTH VADER... we must know.. or else we'll never know who will be the true next Emperor! No wonder Imperial succession was a mess.. 5 people waving gloves claiming to be the next Emperor. Monty Python would be proud!

[​IMG]

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You're both on the right track. Palpatine maimed and tortured Death Star designer Bevel Lemelisk after the first Death Star's destruction. Where did this happen? Darksaber.

As for Vader, here's what Palpatine had to say to him.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Mara's claim of insider knowledge while not actually knowing anything jibes with her role as ignorant Emperor's Hand that thinks she's as important as Vader.

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    LOL so true.

Lady_Misty and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    And also Palpatine's tendency to play people against each other for his own purposes. As seen with Vader and Xizor, he likes to inspire rivalries among his underlings.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    It's addressed in issue 13 of the new Star Wars comic by Brian Wood

13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    No lies detected.

Also, wouldn't it really have been Tarkin's fault the Death Star was destroyed? I mean, not that Palpatine would have necessarily cared about that sort of thing....

DarthRelaxus, Lady_Misty and Reaper63 like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Zahn was serious though about her importance. Either way the idea of chopping Vaders hand off seems a bit of a stupid idea.

Besides how is it Vaders fault anyway if Han had not come back, something that is hard to plan for he would have won.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Vader's Quest has Palpatine bring it up:

Any moment now my apprentice will come with yet another failure to report! He'll bow and apologize and offer another bit of his flesh, all the time hiding the truth I already know. I'll let him play his game, and I'll play it along with him, because ... it amuses me to do so.

Within the game there is a game and when I greet him I'll do so with these words -- "Hello, apprentice, Dark Lord of the Sith, Hello Darth Vader, Hello -- SKYWALKER!"
    It is addressed in several issues:

Early in the In The Shadow of Yavin book
    Vader: Yavin Four was a setback. Tarkin was a fool --"
    Palpatine: "I do not need to be reminded of Tarkin. Just as you do not need a reminder that it was your failure to stop a single snubfighter that set the Empire back trillions of credits and nearly two decades of work."
    Palpatine: "You will transfer all command codes to Bircher. You will not be returning to this ship. I can sense your anger. It has very nearly eclipsed your shame. Good. You see this as a demotion. I do not place much importance on rank. It is the actions of a subordinate that matter to me. Redeem yourself, Lord Vader ... and the loss of your Star Destroyer will be trivial compared to all that you may gain. And I will be in no position to deny any of it to you."

Later (narration):

Near the Sanctuary Moon, in the Endor system.
    Darth Vader, due to his failure at the Battle of Yavin, has been relieved of his position commanding the primary Imperial fleet and suffers under constant insult from his master, the Emperor Palpatine.
    The existence of his replacement, the upstart Colonel Bircher, mocks him from light years away.
    The Second Death Star, being constructed in secret within the resource-rich Endor system, one day may serve as Vader's revenge on the Rebels. For now, it is a remote construction site and well beneath Vader's abilities to administrate.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Hmm I thought Heir when that first came out was in 91 before those you have quoted. Eitherway its still a stupid plot point in jmo

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The point being that "Vader is punished" is a plot thread that's being harked on to this day.

Though it should be said that Vader's Quest came out before AoTC (and long before RoTS), so the writer, like Zahn, may have been under the impression that Vader still had "flesh to offer" off his limbs.

18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Or it's figurative, like giving a pound of flesh!

Maybe Mara has difficulty understanding figurative language!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  19. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 24, 2013
    Four actually.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's possible. Or Palpatine may simply have lied to her because he wants to subtly build up rivalry between the two.

Once in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, once in RoTJ- what were the others?

21. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 24, 2013

Star Wars: Purge, TFU2, and after the Battle of Yavin, so it's 5 times now!

And yes, it was the same hand every time.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Were all of the "on-screen" examples Vader's right hand? The Mara example was more heresy than actually shown.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Right hand every single time.

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The Glove was searching for a new bearer...

Sent from another Galaxy

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm quite certain that Vader got electrocuted within an inch of his life for letting the Death Star be destroyed mere days after it's completion. Palpatine would have been furious that his pet project was destroyed so easily, after spending countless credits and two decades to get it built.

And with Vader being the only Imperial that survived the Death Star's destruction, all of Palpatine's fury would have fallen squarely on Vader's mechanical shoulders. This nonsense about being demoted or losing a mechanical hand is far too lenient.

Darth Sidious would not have forgiven his apprentice easily for such a costly failure. Vader would have been extremely lucky to get away from that particular meeting with his life. As we've seen before, Palpatine has a very nasty temper and a tendency to violently torture those who fail him.

Lady_Misty and Jedi Merkurian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.