main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why didn't Palpatine recruit more Sith?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kit-Fisto7BA, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    In the Classic Trilogy movies Palpatine has one Sith apprentice(Vader) and in the Classic Trilogy Expanded Universe he has two(Vader and Mara Jade).Though,there is one thing I don't understand,why didn't he recruit more Sith?I mean he and Vader could have easily trained trained them.

2. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    The rule of two

3. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Mara Jade wasn't a Sith. Just someone with the Force. She was the "Emporer's Hand".
    "Always 2 there are, a master, and an apprentice."
    Darth Bane made this rule when the Sith starting killing each other, because they were all power hungry.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Mara wasn't a Sith, Asaji is a breaking of the rule (I think; I don't know much about her), and the rule would have been broken again with Luke.

But Mara only had communication through the Force, she couldn't lift stuff or anything.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Mara was never a Sith. Where do you get the idea that she was?

6. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Luke wouldn't have broken the rule of 2. Because he was supposed to kill Vader, when he did, the rule of 2 would remain intact.

7. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Mara Jade was also at that time a Dark Jedi.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    No she wasn't, she could just communicate with the Emperor. She couldn't lift rocks or anything, hardly counting as a dark Jedi

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Mara was not a Dark Jedi, nor was she a Sith.

10. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    What's a Dark Jedi?
    Being worthy of the name Jedi is antithetical to using the Dark Side.
    But it does not matter.

Mara was stated to be the Emperor's Hand, not a Sith or "Dark Jedi." Though did she receive some lightsaber training, not just learn to communicate with the Force, according to Heir to the Empire and The Last Command.

Anyway, the rule of two is the reason, and canonical sources have not yet shown Palpatine breaking that rule.

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    A Dark Jedi is a Jedi who uses the dark side of the Force, but is not a Sith.

12. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    Read my post. I understand, but they shouldn't be called Dark Jedi. If they use the Dark Side, they're no longer Jedi. Anyway, it's off-topic here. There was a long topic about this somewhere else, a few months ago.

13. Darth_Tate

Darth_Tate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    If Vader knows the rule of two, then why does he go along with the Emperor's plan to convert Luke when he knows he'll be replaced. Or does he want Luke to be converted so they can both destroy the Emperor and rule as father and son. But then he tells Luke, "I must obey my master", meaning that he's still loyal to Palpatine and doesn't mind being replaced.

What is wrong with this picture?

14. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Nothing wrong with that picture.

Rules can be broken.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Vader wanted to get rid of the Emperor, and the Emperor wanted to get rid of Vader.

16. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Vader wanted to get rid of the Emperor, and the Emperor wanted to get rid of Vader.

Best explanation I've heard so far.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Asaji is a breaking of the rule

I don't think it has to be a breaking of the rule for there to be many dark siders around. The Sith are a specific order, and it's possible to use the dark side without ever being affiliated with them. Obi-Wan does it in TPM and Luke does it in RotJ. Plus, remember that there are a number of ex-padawans who are turned away by the Jedi when they turn 13, and who knows what use they put their rudimentary Force skills to when they go out into the world.

18. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Ah, good point. Like I said, I don't know much about her character, not having read the comics. I wasn't positive if she was considered "Sith" or "Dark Force User."

On a side note:

Mara Jade

A strikingly beautiful woman known for her flame-red hair and piercing green eyes, Mara Jade grew up as an orphan after her parents were killed early in her life. Little in known about her young adulthood, but at some point she was taken in by Emperor Palpatine and trained in the use of the Force. She was later employed by Emperor Palpatine as The Emperor's Hand. She took on a number of surveillance missions, often posing as one of the Emperor's dalliances in order to escape notice. As a member of Palpatine's closest followers, she gained a good deal of experience in the use of The Force. Her latent Force-sensitivity was heightened by the Emperor, and it allowed her to contact him across vast distances via Force energy. These abilities disappeared almost completely when the Emperor was killed. One of the last missions the Emperor assigned her to was the killing of Luke Skywalker. The Emperor claimed to have foreseen her involvement in Luke's death, and sent her to Tatooine following Vader's failure to capture Luke at Cloud City. She infiltrated Jabba's palace as a dancing girl, but was not allowed onto Jabba's sailbarge when it left to sacrifice Luke and Han to the Sarlacc. This unfortunate setback allowed her to continue in her efforts to kill Luke, but the death of the Emperor at Endor robbed her of her Force abilities and her main source of impetus. She went underground after Palpatine's death, since - as a secret agent for the Emperor - none of the surviving Imperials would ever believe she was more than a dancing girl. She performed a number of odd jobs across the galaxy before she joined up with Talon Kaarde. She was working on Tropis at the time, and was employed by two safari hunters who turned out to be Talon Kaarde and Tapper Quelev. When Kaarde and Quelev got into trouble, Mara intervened and helped Kaarde escape. They then made proper introductions, and Mara asked for a job. She joined up just before he became involved with the New Republic, and was once again thrown into Luke's path. The Emperor's command to kill Luke resurfaced, but the events surrounding Grand Admiral Thrawn's plans for Luke and the New Republic kept getting in her way. She found herself helping Luke more often than not. When she and Luke were reunited in C'baoth's stronghold on Wayland, she fulfilled her "destiny" to kill Luke Skywalker, but not in the way she or the Emperor had forseen. When C'baoth sent a clone of Luke to battle the original Luke, Mara destroyed the clone. Following the death of Grand Admiral Thrawn Mara worked with the New Republic as a liaison between the Republic and the newly-formed Smugglers' Alliance. Following the death of the reborn Emperor on Byss, Mara continued to assist the Republic, but was increasingly pursued by Lando Calrissian, both on a business level and a personal level. She kept Lando at arm's-length from a personal standpoint, but joined in with him to restart the Spice Mines of Kessel as a legal source of glitterstim spice. They were also employed by Talon Karrde to search out the location of Jorj Car'das, a job which took them nearly six years to complete on the side. During the Caamas Incident, Mara took a group of Karrde's people to Nirauan, to search out the strange ships that attacked them in the Kauron asteroid field. She was stranded on the planet, and was eventually rescue by Luke. They realized that their relationship was now stronger than ever, especially after Mara bluntly showed Luke that his use of the Force needed to be minimized before he could fully understand it. Luke, in response, helped Mara realize her potential with the Force, unlocking it in time to use it to escape from the Chiss who controlled the Hand of Thrawn. During their escape, Luke asked Mar

19. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Or does he want Luke to be converted so they can both destroy the Emperor and rule as father and son.

That would be quite consistant with Vader's words in ESB: "Luke. You can destroy the Emperor. He has forseen this. It is your destiny. Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son."

20. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Only two Sith at a time. Sith is merely a title that the top brass Dark Jedi use for themselves.

If a Jedi goes bad and starts using the Force for evil ends, then they become a Dark Jedi (a.k.a. an evil Jedi). Just think of the word "Jedi" as being like the word "Samurai" (which GL based the Jedi partially on). Just as there were good and evil Samurai, so there are good and evil Jedi, as Ep. III will probably show.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Also remember, that as of the end of AOTC, Yoda and the rest of the Jedi Council consider Dooku to merely be a Dark Jedi; they don't know he's a Sith yet.

22. Darth_Tate

Darth_Tate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    Yeah, being a huge ESB fan, I anticapated Vader's remark about ruling as father and son. But at the same time, it's hard to know where his real loyalties lie. Yes he has compassion for Luke, but bear in mind that he did stop Luke from taking a blow at the Emperor. Why did he strike at his son if he wants Luke to destroy the Emperor. I admit that the Emperor could've shot Luke down with sith lightning but Vader could've aimed his saber at Palpatine instead of Luke, and they could've double teamed him. It's not like Palpatine was armed anyway

23. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    I think that Vader and the emperor would have been content to leave Luke alive and each other alive, at least for a while, then try to persuade him to join them and kill the other in the time afterward. I mean come on, they must have had some common plan to talk about, if they were just planning to kill each other openly then wouldn't that seem silly. "Ok Lord Vader heres the plan, you bring him befre me, then i provoke him into dueling, until he kills you. Got it?" They both prefered that Luke join them and kill the other sith in the throne room but they would have found it accepatable that theri is three Sith fro a while. I think Palpatine is not as concerned about hte rule of 2 as most Sith of Darth Bane's order line were. The emperor has many servants of sorts that arre force users but not Sith, such as his mnumerous Hands, Mara Jade \being paramount amoung them. Wasn't Mara Jade an experiment by the Emperor to create a special handmiaden /assain /agent? Her abilities sounded experiamental to me, she was dvery dependent on the Emperer. On the online comic from starwars.com somewhere - Mara Jade # 0, the Emperor and Darth Vader reveal that she is neither a light nor Dark force user.

24. Twisted Sithster

Twisted Sithster Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 22, 2000
    I have always maintained that Palpatine was NOT defenseless when Luke attempted to strike him down. It's the only explanation for why Vader would block the shot.

Palpatine was testing both Luke's breaking point and Vader's loyalty.

TS

25. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Vader was brain washed by Palpatine right up until the last second. This is pointed out in ROTJ by Luke and Vader's conversations with each other about Vader forgeting his true identity.

It's only when Palpatine starts to try to kill Luke that Vader finally snaps out of Palpatine's conditioning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.