main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Didn't Palpatines Lightning "Melt" Luke's Face?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LottDodd, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    If Palpatine's Appearance is Caused by the Amount of Force Lightning Reflected back at Him by Windu, why didn't something similar happen to Luke... Who took an even greater Lashing from the Lightning?

Was that Always Palpatine's "True Self" and he Just let the Illusion Drop?

2. Schilly

Schilly Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2004
    Possibly it was his true form, but alternately Perhaps Lukes Force was so strong wiht the Light side of the Force that he was shileded from the mutation....

3. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I always used to get into arguements about this before the ROTS came out, and since the movie didn't give an official explination sometimes I still do. But I've decided, it's just an opinion, and I will always be a firm believer that it was Sidious' true form, because I just like that idea better...

...But I will make a point for those who prefer the idea that he was deformed as a result of the lightening. Some say that since it was coming from Palpatine, it was like a 'closed circuit' and as it made its way back into him it took its toll on his appearance.

4. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Maybe Force Lightning at close range does a lot more damage?

5. walrus

walrus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    good question, hadn't thought of that. I find it hard to believe that Palpatine's true face was deformed. Does that mean that with the force he could look like an old, normal and healthy guy?? Don't know why but I just don't buy it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the lightning was coming back to him from Mace's lightsaber. . . Maybe even George hasn't thought of that, who knows!

6. Clieggs_Missing_Leg

Clieggs_Missing_Leg Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    I think its because the dark force power was amplified through Mace's lightsaber.

Both Yoda and Luke got slammed with lethal doses of lightning with no lasting effects, which lends creedence to the saber theory.

7. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Well we seen him prior to that in his old deformed Sideous form.......so IMO that is his TRUE form.

The Chancelor thing was his gimmick.

His true nature/appearance simply came out while fighting Mace, and like a true opportunist he used his weak deformed appearance to lure Anakin into helping him and then from there he was able to stay in that form and also get sympathy for being left "scarred and deformed" by a Jedi.

Palpatine is an evil genius.

8. walrus

May 24, 2005
    Darthfingerz, are you sure that when we see Sidious in TPM and AOTC he's deformed??? I'm not really sure and I have always thought he just wore a cape

9. DARTHFINGERZ

Nov 14, 2004
    Well......I'd have to see TPM again but I'm pretty sure I recall him looking pretty much like he did in ESB & ROTJ......same for AoTC.....

TPM is the one SW movie though I'm not familiar with.

10. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

I think it was Palaptine straining himself to use so much of the darkside that the darkside began to immediately deteriorate his body. It wasn't the actual lightning that scarred him.

11. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I personally feel he couldnt concentrate all his efforts on killing Mace, and on controlling his appearance, so one had to go, and that made him return to his old decayed self.

12. walrus

May 24, 2005
    I found a pic of sidious from TPM, he's clearly not deformed
    Here it is: http://multimedia.theforce.net/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Palpatine&image=SidiousCover.jpg&img=&tt=

sorry, don't know how to post a URL like a link

13. DARTHFINGERZ

Nov 14, 2004
    OK I see it now........

Well hey I could be wrong.

I just always thought the deformed old Sideous was his Sith state & the chancelor was his fake political face.

14. DARTHFINGERZ

Nov 14, 2004
    Your right btw...he looks old there but not "deformed" or "scarred" old.

15. Twi_lek_Tami

Twi_lek_Tami Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I think it was his true form and made it look like Mace was doing it to him when he was really doing it to himself.

16. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Anyone notice that when Mace was being fried, you can see his x-rayed skull? A nice homage to ROTJ, when you can see Vader's x-rayed skeleton when he's being electrocuted as well.

17. DARTHFINGERZ

Nov 14, 2004
    I'll have to catch that on the DVD.

18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I don't think that lightning used on Luke was actually meant to kill him until the very end. It was more for torture than killing.
    The lightning used on Mace was meant to kill him. Therefore, the lightning was stronger and made him all nasty looking.

19. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    "Maybe Force Lightning at close range does a lot more damage?"

Exactly, and let's not forget that Luke was never hit in the face and his clothes protected his body.

And if the melted face is Sidious true appearance, then why didn't we see it in EP I and II, when he was talking to Maul and Dooku?
    And let's not forget that he looked complete normal when he talked to Grievous!

20. Det_Pak

Det_Pak Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2003
    Palpatine was merly toying with Luke,he had not "Turned up the Heat" He was just shocking Luke for pleasure.
    I'm sure the voltage was just enough to slighty damage
    Luke but not do anything fatal.
    Sidious does state "Now you will Die" as to say funtime is over,I'm turning up the voltage.
    Even Vader looks over at his Emperor with a puzzled look as to when he intends to finally kill Luke"
    Sidius most likely can control his lightning as does Vader does his choke force..when he wants to do the damage..he does it

21. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Precisley!

The moment Vader took him he was in a shock and the energy was intensified. We could see Vader's skull, whereas we have never seen Luke's bones.

22. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Luke was hit in the face quite a few times by Palpy, and once or twice on the teeth even

23. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Motice the difference in intensity between the lightning directed at Luke and that directed at Mace and Vader. It's quite noticeable once one concentrates on it. Palpatine was enjoying seeing Luke in pain without turning up the "unlimited power".

24. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    still can't beleive how many people think palps was scarred by his lightning. sad.

25. Darth_Crios

Darth_Crios Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    Lukes force is too strong for the lightning remenber he is the chosen 1....

Darth_Crios

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.